Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Hickman run showed how good men can go down a dark path to do whatever takes to survive, we seen a lot of vulnerability in the Illuminati. T'challa was all over the place and he lost the most out of all of them. Letting Namor live and his father checking on that shyt was dope. Another reason why I like this run so much because it's all about redemption for him.

I just wished that T'Challa told his people what was going on much earlier than he did. Perhaps that was the point, I suppose.

I disagree with it, but I understand what Hickman was trying to do and why people liked it.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
After you finish the priest run, check for Geoff Johns' Avengers run, McDuffie's fantastic 4, Hickman's New Avengers and even Hudlin's BP run. You'll see why so many longtime readers are upset with Coates portrayal of Tchalla and how much he's changed the established history of Wakanda. But if you're enjoying Coates run, more power to you. I'll keep peeping it in hopes it'll get better
Basically. And to an earlier talking point, it's not a black vs white thing (as far as the criticism) nor a lack of action thing (altho the action scenes are a bit uninspired), but a depiction issue. Philosophical differences. Priest has shown and Coogler has stated that their BP is a king first and superhero second. Coates has stated his BP is a superhero who doesn't want to be king. Priest Hudlin Chadwick and *Hickman's BP had a certain swag and flare to him (*the crying thing aside), Coates version feels like a Drake song circa 2011, emo and soft.

Now I do finally see where this run is going, and I can see how T'Challa can come out of this "for the better". I don't think we're really going to see that until towards the end of year 2 or more likely year 3, b/c Coates is basically trying to deep clean scrub away every single stain BP has been smeared with since Priest's run. From the Doras being introduced in the manner they were, to him being an avenger, to his marriage/divorce with storm, his drama with monica, conflict with namor, doom, shuri, his father disowning him, Bast's bytchassness, wakandan royalty, and a weak/decimated/neglected supporting cast in general. He's gonna try to address and rectify all of this, even if that means creating some fairly arbitrary plot points (like the rape stuff) to cause a tipping point for some dormant shyt (i.e. any Dora resentment) to finally hit the fan.

So this isn't how i like to see BP -and it doesn't help that Coates isn't seasoned enough yet to do the little things that help smooth the intentional rocky journey (like giving better pacing, better 'small victories' and better action scenes)- but i see the end goal at play here, despite my reservations.

teacher

All Star
Daps
After you finish the priest run, check for Geoff Johns' Avengers run, McDuffie's fantastic 4, Hickman's New Avengers and even Hudlin's BP run. You'll see why so many longtime readers are upset with Coates portrayal of Tchalla and how much he's changed the established history of Wakanda. But if you're enjoying Coates run, more power to you. I'll keep peeping it in hopes it'll get better

The first issue was kinda wack to me very underwhelming and :scusthov: @ the LGBT angle after that it's been solid and now it's getting good IMO...the avengers run is that the old joint 60's-80's? I have the others though and I'll definitely get to them eventually

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
IVX Kicks Off in Marvel's December 2016 Solicitations
BLAP2016009-CONNECTINGA.jpg

BLAP2016009-COV.jpg

BLACK PANTHER #9
  • TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • BRIAN STELFREEZE (A/C)
  • Connecting Variant Cover A by PAOLO RIVERA
  • XCI Variant Cover by TBA
  • THE BEGINNING OF THE END!
  • Regular artist BRIAN STELFREEZE returns!
  • Ramonda’s bombing injuries worsen and recovery is starting to seem like an impossibility…
  • Plus: Shuri returns from the Djalia…but is she still herself? Or something more?
  • 32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Shuri with a new 'do? Super Sayian Platinum Blonde?

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
BLAPWAK2016002-cov.jpg

BLAPWAK2016002-var.jpg

BLACK PANTHER: WORLD OF WAKANDA #2

• ROXANE GAY & TA-NEHISI COATES (W) • ALITHA E. MARTINEZ (A)
  • Cover by AFUA RICHARDSON
  • Variant Cover by TREVOR VON EEDEN
  • Variant Cover by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE
  • TRAINING DAY!
  • Ayo and Aneka are given their first assignments as Dora Milaje: protect Queen Shuri at all costs!
  • Meanwhile, T’Challa the former king lies with bedfellows so dark, disgrace is inevitable.
  • See a major plot point from Hickman’s NEW AVENGERS run from a completely new point of view: one that changes everything…
  • 32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
Like i theorized, he (via Roxane in this case) is going to open up and pour a bucket of rubbing alcohol on every scar, scrape, wound, gash of the last x amount of years. Namor era is on deck.

Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Last edited:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
BLAPWAK2016002-cov.jpg

BLAPWAK2016002-var.jpg

Like i theorized, he (via Roxane in this case) is going to open up and pour a bucket of rubbing alcohol on every scar, scrape, wound, gash of the last x amount of years. Namor era is on deck.

It was only a matter of time that it would be brought up, especially in this run. Hopefully its done well.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The first issue was kinda wack to me very underwhelming and :scusthov: @ the LGBT angle after that it's been solid and now it's getting good IMO...the avengers run is that the old joint 60's-80's? I have the others though and I'll definitely get to them eventually
Man if you showed that scene with the Doras to some Africans... :russ:
I gotta check the issue numbers for Johns run when i get a chance, will update when I do

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
That art is so fukking incredible :banderas:

T'Challa and Shuri reunited :blessed:
This is a good look for her, and I'm not even talking about the new wardrobe. The siblings are now recognizably distinct from each other and I get a wiser, re-purposed Wonder Woman-ish vibe from her story arc. If that's anywhere in the ballpark of what she's becoming symbolically, that's exactly what she needed.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

Nah they were from the early 2000s, after the Priest run and before the Hudlin run, I think. Johns did a good job portraying BP, imho.