teacher

All Star
Daps
I'm in wait and see mode with Coates run, but at this point my expectations are low. His representation of Wakanda and Tchalla is one of weakness and ineptitude. I understand Wakanda been taking hits since doomwar and it won't make sense to have everything gets fixed immediately, but Coates has not portrayed a character who is capable of fixing anything. Not to mention the forced feminist subplot and the use of foreign advisors and combatants. Coates seems like he capable of doing better, so I hope he will improve and we won't see this play out like captain Sam Wilson where we hear of a characters greatness but are only shown his failures. Need to go back and read secret invasion: see Wakanda and die after finishing BP#6

You haven't read 6 but to me it finally seems kinda priest-esque with how he is setting up to take down the 'people'. The biggest difference is priest would of done it in max 2 issues probably an issue and a half and by the end of the second issue BP would of took down the people; where coates took 6 issues to get to that point. I'm currently reading the priest run along side the coates... I do much prefer coates writing though, priest at times comes off cheesy IMO :yeshrug:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
kuchu-pack-black-panther-final-2000.jpg

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
The numbers are in. BP #5 ..... 83k.

25jh3b9.jpg

An 11k increase from BP #4. :damn:

Comic Book Sales Figures for August 2016

This is some amazing shyt. BP is crushing Cap and Iron-Man in sales. This book is now competing with Superman, Wonder Woman, Amazing Spider-Man, and all that.

This is above and beyond anything I expected sales wise. BP competing with the comic book icons?!:dwillhuh:

Coates has the juice now, no question.:wow:

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

25jh3b9.jpg

This is some amazing shyt. BP is crush Cap and Iron-Man in sales. This book is competing with Superman, Wonder Woman, Amazing Spider-Man, and all that.

This is above and beyond anything I expected sales wise. BP competing with the comic book icons?!:dwillhuh:

Due to this, I think I'll start/continue to support the cause a bit more with buying more variant covers. Initially, I was practically against buying variants, just cuz, but I did end up buying a couple last time and I definitely prefer the variants on #6 over its reg. cover.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Checked the BP numbers compared to the big names. BP #5 actually beat some big double shippers, including Flash, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Amazing Spider-Man.

Black Panther #5: 83,756

Flash #5: 83,482

Superman #5: 81,339

Wonder Woman #5: 77,860

Amazing Spider-Man #17: 74,869

Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns #2 (the first shipped issue this month): 77,972

For those wondering, Superman #4 and Wonder Woman #4 sold 88k and 84k respectively. They didn't even beat BP #5 by much.

Never thought this would happen, let alone so soon. :wow:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Due to this, I think I'll start/continue to support the cause a bit more with buying more variant covers. Initially, I was practically against buying variants, just cuz, but I did end up buying a couple last time and I definitely prefer the variants on #6 over its reg. cover.

This run got me into variant covers a lot more. I def check them out and even copped a few.

EDIT: Stelfreeze stepped his game up with the regular covers lately too. I'll def cop #7 and #8.

BP competing with Superman and Wonder Woman in 2016, two years before the solo movie. Who would've thought that would've happened. :banderas:

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
I been reading Black panther since 1998 and just finished all of his comics in 2015 with the marvel app. This current run reminds me of the Priest run with some of the Cultural emphasis of Nation building and ruling while keeping the Traditional African Heritage in the mix. Him being caught between being a king and a super hero. Best Dialogue so far was from him saying he became an Avenger because of the scientist in him, not because of the king wanting to keep an eye on other nations for his people. Shuri getting a history lesson from her Ancestors :wow:

I always liked seeing T'challa being conflicted with being a King and being a man.

Just like bruddas

Supporter
Daps
Of course you have white people complaining about the lack of action and too much talking while us black people are enjoying the wonderful dialogue that ta-nehisi coates blessed us with.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I been reading Black panther since 1998 and just finished all of his comics in 2015 with the marvel app.

Shout out to you catching up :salute:. Must've been a lot of reading.
This current run reminds me of the Priest run with some of the Cultural emphasis of Nation building and ruling while keeping the Traditional African Heritage in the mix. Him being caught between being a king and a super hero. Best Dialogue so far was from him saying he became an Avenger because of the scientist in him, not because of the king wanting to keep an eye on other nations for his people. Shuri getting a history lesson from her Ancestors :wow:

The good parts of this run have a lot of Priest-like elements. The convo between T'Challa and that captive is still my favorite moment of the book.

The reason for him spying on the avengers was unexpected. A lot of older readers may not like it, but I personally don't think its the worst explanation out there. I do understand why they don't like it though.

I get the feeling Shuri's journey will connect a lot to the main plot once she comes back. The stories in her journey have a lot to do with leadership qualities. Where will it all lead to? Who knows. We'll find out soon.

I always liked seeing T'challa being conflicted with being a King and being a man.

When done right, it's a very intriguing quality of the BP books. Priest did it very well. Hudlin touched on it in small doses, but did a good job overall, imho. And though I have a lot of disagreements with his approach, I do understand what Hickman was trying to do during his New Avengers story. It without a doubt resonated with a lot of readers, no question.

Just like bruddas

Supporter
Daps
Shout out to you catching up :salute:. Must've been a lot of reading.

The good parts of this run have a lot of Priest-like elements. The convo between T'Challa and that captive is still my favorite moment of the book.

The reason for him spying on the avengers was unexpected. A lot of older readers may not like it, but I personally don't think its the worst explanation out there. I do understand why they don't like it though.

Yeah it kind of threw me off a lil bit, I didn't have a problem with it though.

I get the feeling Shuri's journey will connect a lot to the main plot once she comes back. The stories in her journey have a lot to do with leadership qualities. Where will it all lead to? Who knows. We'll find out soon.

Yeah she's gonna bring Wakanada back together as whole, especially in terms of the Dora women.

When done right, it's a very intriguing quality of the BP books. Priest did it very well. Hudlin touched on it in small doses, but did a good job overall, imho. And though I have a lot of disagreements with his approach, I do understand what Hickman was trying to do during his New Avengers story. It without a doubt resonated with a lot of readers, no question.

Hickman run showed how good men can go down a dark path to do whatever takes to survive, we seen a lot of vulnerability in the Illuminati. T'challa was all over the place and he lost the most out of all of them. Letting Namor live and his father checking on that shyt was dope. Another reason why I like this run so much because it's all about redemption for him.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Someone brought up a great point about the sales of BP #5 (and the rest of the book, to be honest): there are no major gimmicks attached to it.

-#5 wasn't a tie-in to Civil War II or another major event.

-#5 came out four months after Cap: Civil War. The movie wasn't much of a factor, if at all. Hell, #5 sold better than #2, #3, and #4, issues that were closer to the movie.

-The cast of the BP book is strongly majority black. The very few non-black characters this book has aren't even notable characters. Many people are learning who Zeke Stane is via this book.

-#5 didn't have a notable guest star. Manifold showed up, but he is definitely NOT a well-known character.

-This book isn't even an action book. Action might be the book's weakest point and is one thing the lovers and haters of this run actually agree on.

-BP's solo film is nowhere close to coming out, being that its a year and a half away.

And despite all of this, the book not only managed an 11k increase from the previous issue, it managed to compete or beat big names with far bigger fan bases both in and out of comics.

The demand for this book is real. No doubt about this now.

Last edited:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound

25jh3b9.jpg

This is some amazing shyt. BP is crushing Cap and Iron-Man in sales. This book is now competing with Superman, Wonder Woman, Amazing Spider-Man, and all that.

Then it's time Coates stop playing and bring back the cerebral, contingency planning, calm, one of the top fighters in comics period, Black Excellence T'Challa immediately :ufdup: