Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
True, they were the ones complaining the most about BP/Storm paring:russ:

But T'Challa took w at the end, staring in multiple Marvel comics while Storm is only in one that she barely shines in:mjpls:

Yea, those fans didn't think that one through.

Being 1b or the main supporting character of an up-and-coming franchise >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> being relegated to support status behind 4+ ppl.

Think about it, for Storm to become the leader of the mutants...

-Xavier had to get murked.
-OG Logan had to die.
-OG Jean had to die.
-Cyclops had to go MIA.
-Emma Frost had to go MIA.

That's 5 people commanding the majority of attention in the X-Books, and we haven't even touched on Magneto yet. And they wanted to bring Storm back to that? Lol....

The book were she's the leader doesn't even focus much on her. She still has to share spotlight with a bunch of folks, making her leadership role not that special.

She could've been getting a well-needed Wakandan stimulus package right now, but oh well. It's their problem now :yeshrug:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Recall that T'Challa didn't debut in his own book. He debuted in the Fantastic Four instead. He could've been relegated to occasional FF supporting character as well. Thankfully, Marvel decided to make him do his own thing and he became the character he is today.
Random note, but the intent was always to introduce Black Panther as a solo character. Marvel wanted to expand their comic line and debut BP and Inhumans solo titles among their launch of new books. They went to the distributors about taking more books, but DC cockblocked them by politicking that the current market couldn't/shouldn't take any more books.

As a result Marvel decided to just introduce BP and the Inhumans in fantastic four first before eventually giving each their title stories.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
I love this menacing guard....I can't wait until she gets busy :banderas:.... Black Widow aint want no static at all..

doraaudi.jpg

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
2 things. b/c I'm not sure i fully follow here

1st thing, which may or may not still apply:

Batgirl, Supergirl She-Hulk, etc all have their own identity in a sense and are very popular in their own regard, but they're all still the lil homie to Batman, Superman, Hulk. Shuri -as we currently know her- can be a similar character as far as a strong cult following, but she's always going to be known as BP's lil homie, she's his little sister and was most well known when she became a legacy character to him. dikk Grayson is a spy right now in the comics, but he's always going to be the first robin, Batman's first lil homie. But that doesn't mean he can't support his own comics.. but that's a different ballpark discussion than what i was getting at.

If we're talking purely about comic books then she can have as many on-goings, spin-offs, minis, etc as need be. Heck, the Dora Milaje can have their own on-goings or minis for all it matters.

The day the Doras get an on-going or a mini...my god:wow:

My main point concerns the second thing you brought up below.

So the 2nd thing: If we're not talking about solo arcs in bp's movie, or taking the bp mantle, or taking the queen mantle, or doing anything of the sort in bp's solo franchise films...
...then i don't really have a dog in this fight. :ehh:

Like i said before, Nightwing will always be seen as Batman's first sidekick. Doesn't mean he couldn't branch out (which he did), and perhaps same with Shuri. As far as her having a brand new role with her own supporting cast and adventures and costume (or whatever), independent of BP and royalty... well, if the name wasn't Shuri, I'd say you were pitching an all new non-legacy black female superhero.

Which is a concept i champion. if it's shuri in the role, then sure it can work, esp with a great creative mind to write it.
More of less yea. My thing is, Shuri can still be the Princess of Wakanda but still do her own shyt. She doesn't need to become a BP or try to become Queen, at this point it won't help her in the long run. She already has her own personality, her own ideology, and even her own costume (the vibranium armor). So rather than going for a mantle and title that has been long associated with another character, I say have Shuri forge her own path as a warrior princess making things happen and Let T'Challa have his own shyt.

Like Nightwing, Shuri will always be associated with the main character of her original franchise. It is what it is and its not a bad thing. If Shuri becomes big, T'Challa now has a character he can easily associate with to increase or sustain his profile. He also becomes associated with a potential up-and-coming character that lead a franchise, which helps him in the long run. T'Challa occasionally interacting with Shuri in her adventures helps her as well of course.

As for Shuri in the solo films, just use her current characterization, give her good dialogue and action scenes, and good moments (including a sister-brother moment with T'Challa) all in context of the plot, and she'll blow up quickly. One can make adjustments on how much screen time she gets depending on which solo movie it is (perhaps not as much in the first, but it goes up in the second and third). Similar in principle to how Black Widow was treated throughout the MCU solo films (especially in the Cap films). She didn't have a individual story arc in those films, but was an excellent supporting character that complemented the main character well and helped boost the profile of the film.

Hell it worked for Poe Dameron in Star Wars. He was in the film for only 9 mins, yet those 9 mins were on point. Now, he's eating good with his own on-going, and he wasn't the lead or co-lead of the movie, didn't really have his own story arc, and wasn't the focus of the film.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I was referring to back in 2014 when her solo book came out. One could argue that she still had the top spot, but by default. T'Challa was on the rise, but he wasn't there yet (his movie wasn't announced at the time). However, that solo book tanking and the BP movie announcement changed all that (and boy did that solo book tank).

Today, she no longer has that spot (T'Challa does), and she will be overtaken by even more characters as time goes on. And I agree, the best time for her to have her own title was during the 90s, but the folks in charge prolly thought she was supporting character status or didn't want to branch her out. And unless something drastic happens to Storm's development, she'll continue declining in popularity.

You mean like getting her back with T'Challa:sas2:

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
You mean like getting her back with T'Challa:sas2:

Might be too late now, as the general public will be introduced to a completely different love interest in the film.

Would've been one thing if she was still married to him in the comics, but that isn't the case.

doublex

Pro
Daps
I know. But a Marvel love interest is BLAH. Plus with their track record, that haven't really been throwing in nameless/faceless characters in flicks, so all signs point to a throwaway Monica Lynne...which is what we all DON'T want.

COMIC REEL: "Black Panther" Is Coogler's "Most Personal Movie To Date"; Rogen Explores "Preacher's" Theology

He says he grew up a comic book fan. That's music to my ears...ALL doubt has been lifted.

I don't think so. Lupita in talks to play the love interest points away from Monica and towards an African character.

doublex

Pro
Daps
If so, then they are making one from scratch, or adjusting one of the doras as a love interest.

The Doras provide the perfect opportunity to introduce a love interest who is a kick-ass female character (on par with Black Widow) but not necessarily super-powered (even if they had the rights to Storm, it would probably be too much to shoe-horn her abilities into T'challa's first movie).

She could be a re-purposed Okoye.