Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
As a big Shuri fan who enjoyed her time as a BP, especially during the Liss and Hickman run, I cosign this.

T'Challa is finally getting his shine and is bringing a humongous boost to the BP franchise. Replacing him is a major mistake and does not benefit the BP franchise in the long term.

What Shuri fans should be pushing for in the long term is for her to become the "IT" black female superhero, as Princess Shuri of Wakanda. That lane is wide open right now, especially in the movie arena, and Shuri can fill in that void. She has the skills, intelligence, and personality to do so. Add her royal lineage and that makes her different from the pack. All she needs is an opportunity to shine and good moments.

Rather than replacing T'Challa, both characters should be used to boost the franchise. T'Challa has already been embraced by the brehs and a lot of brehettes. Shuri is gaining traction among the brehettes and can definitely be an appealing character to a lot of brehs. Together, they can bring to the BP franchise the strong and long term support of black fans, both male AND female, as well as support from the general audience.

Both characters can coexist and help the BP franchise rise to the top.

I'm rather pessimistic on that front. The closest person on paper who could lead a franchise is Storm, but her solo comic tanked and she's really not doing much in the movies, thus no one cares. Meanwhile, the MCU has be very slow in bringing in black female character. If I remember correctly, Civil War is the first time we saw a black female character in the MCU on the big screen. As for the Marvel side of the comics, its kinda wack on that front. There is Vixen in DC, but its as if DC is half-assing it. She's in arrow but she's sharing the screen time with a bunch of characters. Her animated series is there but isn't catching on as much as it could, probably due to its format.

Concerning Shuri, the best thing for her is to be involved in as many BP-related events as possible (comics, movies, video games, etc), continue to garner popularity, and eventually branch out into her own adventures as Princess Shuri. Thus, she'll have her own identity and adventures in a role that is exclusively hers--the Princess of Wakanda--and she can continue being a major boost to the BP franchise. Marvel appears to be doing just that and has included her prominently in the comics and also in video games. They should follow through and include her in the movie as well with a good showing.

Doing so results in the BP franchise having two popular characters (T'Challa and Shuri) that it can rely on to make things happen in various forms of media.

Monica Rambeau was just an example to show i wouldnt want any compromise by other sub demos if she was given a solo franchise as the first black superheroine.

One issue women have spoken up before about is the idea of legacy characters, she-hulk, supergirl, batgirl... to say how someone like wonder woman is ideal bc she isnt under a male's shadow. she's in her own lane and no one is there to lil homie her. also why a storm is ideal.

Right now it's T'Challas franchise, not T'Challa and Shuri's franchise. BP is the big homie, and Shuri is among the lil homies. So as a lil homie she should get the same perks of a Sam Wilson or Bucky or Rhodey or Batgirl as far as appearances and cool spots... maybe even some spin off comics or dlc or whatever, but the focus always comes down to the big homie saving the lil homies.

So im not shuri's biggest fan but i dont hate her either (so not to be misconstrued), i just see her as the lil homie, who should get her moments. but when we start talkin about gettin her own independent solo arcs in the big homies movies or becoming bp/queen by the 2nd or 3rd movie... ok, then it sounds like just wanting your fav character to lead or co lead more than anything (all the social justice stuff aside).

Which is cool, but i dont have a similar compassion for her in that regard, as a fan, nor see her as that ideal answer; just a potentially popular lil homie like batgirl is.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Monica Rambeau was just an example to show i wouldnt want any compromise by other sub demos if she was given a solo franchise as the first black superheroine.

One issue women have spoken up before about is the idea of legacy characters, she-hulk, supergirl, batgirl... to say how someone like wonder woman is ideal bc she isnt under a male's shadow. she's in her own lane and no one is there to lil homie her. also why a storm is ideal.

Which is exactly what my second post was touching on. My hope is that is that as time goes on, Shuri has her own clear identity, adventures, and so on, all independent of T'Challa. T'Challa will still have the BP mantle, the crown, and still will be the titular character. However, Shuri will have her own thing going for those that want to read that as well.

I also touch on Storm on the paragraph below.

Right now it's T'Challas franchise, not T'Challa and Shuri's franchise. BP is the big homie, and Shuri is among the lil homies. So as a lil homie she should get the same perks of a Sam Wilson or Bucky or Rhodey or Batgirl as far as appearances and cool spots... maybe even some spin off comics or dlc or whatever, but the focus always comes down to the big homie saving the lil homies.

So im not shuri's biggest fan but i dont hate her either (so not to be misconstrued), i just see her as the lil homie, who should get her moments. but when we start talkin about gettin her own independent solo arcs in the big homies movies or becoming bp/queen by the 2nd or 3rd movie... ok, then it sounds like just wanting your fav character to lead or co lead more than anything (all the social justice stuff aside).

-T'Challa is my favorite character. He also is the main BP character. As far as the BP franchise is concerned, Shuri is a supporting character. The BP solo movies are T'Challa's solos. My stance has stayed the same on this issue from the very beginning.

-Second, my stance on Shuri being the BP or Queen in the movies and even the comics this time around remains the same: no, she shouldn't. It's time for Shuri to have a clear identity of her own and to expand on that.

-Third, by "having her own thing" I'm not talking about her having her own independent solo arc in T'Challa's solo movies or her overtaking T'Challa in his own projects. I'm talking about her eventually branching off and doing her thing separately from him. Her own adventures, her own perspective, possibly her own supporting cast, etc. Remember that in my scenario, she's neither the BP or the Queen, so she's not even taking those titles away from T'Challa. He will still have his franchise going.

For example: Robin was Batman's lil homie for the longest. But eventually Robin branched out and did his own thing, independent of batman and became Nightwing. He has his own solo comic, his own team (Team Titans) and so on. Nightwing doing his own thing even benefited Batman by allowing him to have new supporting characters, such as Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and eventually Damien Wayne.

-Lastly, I'm big on allowing characters to grow. If there's a potential for Falcon, for example, to find his own voice and do his own thing independent of Cap, I'm all for it. Every character deserves a chance to forge their own path. Falcon being relegated to supporting character status all his existence or using someone elses mantle when doing his own thing is why he'll never prosper. Rhodey falls in that catergory too.

Similar thing applies with Storm. A significant portion of X-Fans simply don't want her to do her own thing, thus she's stuck in the X-World and can't prosper without the X affiliation. Which is why her solo comic came out and tried to do its own thing, it completely tanked, despite being her arguably being the most popular black character at the time and one of the most popular female characters in comic history.

Recall that T'Challa didn't debut in his own book. He debuted in the Fantastic Four instead. He could've been relegated to occasional FF supporting character as well. Thankfully, Marvel decided to make him do his own thing and he became the character he is today.

Last edited:

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
Similar thing applies with Storm. A significant portion of X-Fans simply don't want her to do her own thing, thus she's stuck in the X-World and can't prosper without the X affiliation. Which is why her solo comic came out and tried to do its own thing, it completely tanked, despite being her being the most popular black character and one of the most popular female characters in comic history.
I'm sorry but Storm lost that title a long time ago.

With other black superheros being promoted in the media in the last 15 years and how Storm importance decrease from comics, cartoon, and movies in last 16 years, you can't say she still the most popular black superhero.

She had that title in the 90's when she was the most popular black and female superhero.

Marvel should have been give her own title during her height of her popularity in the 90's

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
She came back to BLACK:ohhh:
Yep
ayRvAAp.jpg

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I'm sorry but Storm lost that title a long time ago.

With other black superheros being promoted in the media in the last 15 years and how Storm importance decrease from comics, cartoon, and movies in last 16 years, you can't say she still the most popular black superhero.

She had that title in the 90's when she was the most popular black and female superhero.

Marvel should have been give her own title during her height of her popularity in the 90's

I was referring to back in 2014 when her solo book came out. One could argue that she still had the top spot, but by default. T'Challa was on the rise, but he wasn't there yet (his movie wasn't announced at the time). However, that solo book tanking and the BP movie announcement changed all that (and boy did that solo book tank).

Today, she no longer has that spot (T'Challa does), and she will be overtaken by even more characters as time goes on. And I agree, the best time for her to have her own title was during the 90s, but the folks in charge prolly thought she was supporting character status or didn't want to branch her out. And unless something drastic happens to Storm's development, she'll continue declining in popularity.

Last edited:

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I was referring to back in 2014 when her solo book came out. One could argue that she still had the top spot, but by default. T'Challa was on the rise, but he wasn't there yet (his movie wasn't announced at the time). However, that solo book tanking and the BP movie announcement changed all that (and boy did that solo book tank).

Today, she no longer has that spot (T'Challa does), and she will be overtaken by even more characters as time goes on. And I agree, the best time for her to have her own title was during the 90s, but the folks in charge prolly thought she was supporting character status or didn't want to branch her out. And unless something drastic happens to Storm's development, she'll continue declining in popularity.
I find it amazing that Marvel give Storm more focus and importance when she married T'Challa.

Marvel give her nothing of focus since the late 90's until she pared up with BP, she was in major crossovers and all

Now since she broke up with BP, she has been reduced to a supporting character

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
I find it amazing that Marvel give Storm more focus and importance when she married T'Challa.

Marvel give her nothing of focus since the late 90's until she pared up with BP, she was in major crossovers and all

Now since she broke up with BP, she has been reduced to a supporting character

The X-Fans got what they wanted. They wanted Storm to be back in the X-World, and they got her back. Their loss.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Which is exactly what my second post was touching on. My hope is that is that as time goes on, Shuri has her own clear identity, adventures, and so on, all independent of T'Challa. T'Challa will still have the BP mantle, the crown, and still will be the titular character. However, Shuri will have her own thing going for those that want to read that as well.
2 things. b/c I'm not sure i fully follow here

1st thing, which may or may not still apply:

Batgirl, Supergirl She-Hulk, etc all have their own identity in a sense and are very popular in their own regard, but they're all still the lil homie to Batman, Superman, Hulk. Shuri -as we currently know her- can be a similar character as far as a strong cult following, but she's always going to be known as BP's lil homie, she's his little sister and was most well known when she became a legacy character to him. dikk Grayson is a spy right now in the comics, but he's always going to be the first robin, Batman's first lil homie. But that doesn't mean he can't support his own comics.. but that's a different ballpark discussion than what i was getting at.

If we're talking purely about comic books then she can have as many on-goings, spin-offs, minis, etc as need be. Heck, the Dora Milaje can have their own on-goings or minis for all it matters.

-Second, my stance on Shuri being the BP or Queen in the movies and even the comics this time around remains the same: no, she shouldn't. It's time for Shuri to have a clear identity of her own and to expand on that.

-Third, by "having her own thing" I'm not talking about her having her own independent solo arc in T'Challa's solo movies or her overtaking T'Challa in his own projects. I'm talking about her eventually branching off and doing her thing separately from him. Her own adventures, her own perspective, possibly her own supporting cast, etc. Remember that in my scenario, she's neither the BP or the Queen, so she's not even taking those titles away from T'Challa. He will still have his franchise going.

So the 2nd thing: If we're not talking about solo arcs in bp's movie, or taking the bp mantle, or taking the queen mantle, or doing anything of the sort in bp's solo franchise films...

...then i don't really have a dog in this fight. :ehh:

Like i said before, Nightwing will always be seen as Batman's first sidekick. Doesn't mean he couldn't branch out (which he did), and perhaps same with Shuri. As far as her having a brand new role with her own supporting cast and adventures and costume (or whatever), independent of BP and royalty... well, if the name wasn't Shuri, I'd say you were pitching an all new non-legacy black female superhero.

Which is a concept i champion. if it's shuri in the role, then sure it can work, esp with a great creative mind to write it.

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The X-Fans got what they wanted. They wanted Storm to be back in the X-World, and they got her back. Their loss.
True, they were the ones complaining the most about BP/Storm paring:russ:

But T'Challa took w at the end, staring in multiple Marvel comics while Storm is only in one that she barely shines in:mjpls: