hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This being the last movie before "Infinity War" was a blessing and a curse because on the one hand, I'm sure they shorted the budget on the movie due to "IW" being so expensive....but on the other hand Wakanda obviously plays a big role in "IW" so there's no better lead in than "BP".

Fred.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Yall brehs know I'm not a Coates hater...

However, I think its fair to say that if Coogler didn't use Coates/Stelfreeze suit design they could have avoided a lot of issues with the action/cgi.

It would have forced them to keep the fights more grounded and just keep the fights more Civil War style.

The non suit shyt was dope tho.
I remember someone saying before the movie dropped that they preferred the new suits. shyts were green lantern status. I preferred the bulkier realistic look from civil war.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
This being the last movie before "Infinity War" was a blessing and a curse because on the one hand, I'm sure they shorted the budget on the movie due to "IW" being so expensive....but on the other hand Wakanda obviously plays a big role in "IW" so there's no better lead in than "BP".

Fred.

I don't think IW had any bearing on BP's budget at all really. It already was pumped like 200 mill. That was going to be the ceiling probably regardless of what came after. That's about as expensive as they'll get for any first run solo flick.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I remember someone saying before the movie dropped that they preferred the new suits. shyts were green lantern status. I preferred the bulkier realistic look from civil war.

Ironically, the new suit is more realistic since its not bulky tho and is just form fitted to the actors. I do prefer the aesthetic design of the suit better for the original, but the new one looked a lot better on screen than initial trailer impression.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I don't think IW had any bearing on BP's budget at all really. It already was pumped like 200 mill. That was going to be the ceiling probably regardless of what came after. That's about as expensive as they'll get for any first run solo flick.

I meant specifically for stuff like the CGI. Especially in light of the fact that "IW" budget (both parts I mean) is rumored to be in the $1 billion range.

Fred.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
See this is where we differ. I like the new suit
15081649824548-YT_Black_Panther.jpg

The problem is I had no idea they were going to take the suit and get so CGI heavy with it. shyt looks great as is. However, once it gets cartoony it becomes weightless.

The car chase was cool/good. However, in the 3rd act...I'm like why is there so much CGI :mindblown:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

Fred.
I agree...

However, if they knew this movie was going to be as big of a hit as it was they would have dropped the extra $$. They underestimated it and could have made an even greater movie...

Infinity War is going to be bittersweet watching Black Panther look much better (CGI, etc) and even Wakanda look even more impressive than in his own movie.

They were certainly more concerned about the CGI of Black Panther looking good in Infinity War than he was in his final fight with Killmonger. Either you don't up the $$$ to polish up that final fight because you're saving cash for IW or just assuming Black Panther will not be a billion dollar movie.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
See this is where we differ. I like the new suit
15081649824548-YT_Black_Panther.jpg

The problem is I had no idea they were going to take the suit and get so CGI heavy with it. shyt looks great as is. However, once it gets cartoony it becomes weightless.

The car chase was cool/good. However, in the 3rd act...I'm like why is there so much CGI :mindblown:
Thats why the bulkier design is better. It's easier to CG Iron man than is it Spiderman and look real.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I agree...

However, if they knew this movie was going to be as big of a hit as it was they would have dropped the extra $$. They underestimated it and could have made an even greater movie...

Infinity War is going to be bittersweet watching Black Panther look much better (CGI, etc) and even Wakanda look even more impressive than in his own movie.

They were certainly more concerned about the CGI of Black Panther looking good in Infinity War than he was in his final fight with Killmonger. Either you don't up the $$$ to polish up that final fight because you're saving cash for IW or just assuming Black Panther will not be a billion dollar movie.

I don't think anyone anticipated "BP" doing the numbers it's doing. And yeah, if they knew in advance it would make this much bread, they would've put more money into it.

Regardless, there's no way the final battle of "BP" was ever going to look as good as "IW". Kinda like how the first "Avengers" final battle with the Chitauri didn't look as good as "Civil War". I don't just mean CGI....I mean in terms of scale, and how epic it is....because with "IW" not only are you getting the cast of "BP", you're also getting the entire Avengers roster and a fight that has been teased for a decade. The battle in Wakanda seems to be the big action set piece in "IW".

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Another thing people need to take into account about CGI is, as long as there's something real to anchor it to the real world, it makes it seem more realistic.

Ironman looks real because he takes his helmet off and you can see RDJ face. There's several scenes in every MCU movie with Ironman where he's suited up except his face. So when he's fully CGI it make it seem more real.

Someone like Spider-Man or Black Panther doesn't really do that. They're either fully suited up or not at all, 9 times out of 10. So when you see them in full CGI it seems more like a video game. This is even true in the "IW" trailer when Spider-Man is in the new suit on that space ship thing.

Fred.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Another thing people need to take into account about CGI is, as long as there's something real to anchor it to the real world, it makes it seem more realistic.

Ironman looks real because he takes his helmet off and you can see RDJ face. There's several scenes in every MCU movie with Ironman where he's suited up except his face. So when he's fully CGI it make it seem more real.

Someone like Spider-Man or Black Panther doesn't really do that. They're either fully suited up or not at all, 9 times out of 10. So when you see them in full CGI it seems more like a video game. This is even true in the "IW" trailer when Spider-Man is in the new suit on that space ship thing.

Fred.

But BP and even Killmonger showed their faces A LOT while suited up tho. It was too the point that some reviewers (namely Double Roasted)el even complained about that very thing being cliche and unnecessary, lol.