Official Black Lightning Season 1 Thread

mr x

Superstar
Daps
All that lesbian chocolate :noah:....the smile on her face when she realized she prolly got powers :pachaha:...this shyt good brehs. All first seasons of cw dc shows are dope tho so it's not unexpected. It's them 3rd seasons :francis:

Probably should've assured he was knocked out and quickly disarmed before smiling and walking away. The dude could come to and still pull off the robbery.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

My bad for having shyt to do. I told you to chill with this single white female shyt man shyt is spooky lol

Anyway I feel like the pilot was stronger but this was still very good. Some of the writing was a bit clunky but the way the shyt focuses on the characters and less on the superheroics is really dope. Even acting as a direct rebuttal to Arrow when he said he’s not trying to save the city just wants to save his family. That’s real shyt. But things change.

Of all the superhero shows on tv, even Netflix, this one feels the most like it has an authorial voice behind it. Like this is someone’s vision. From the dialogue to the the music to the themes. It feels the most well thought out and truly should be separate from the rest of the shows on the CW at least for a while. shyt just works

Last edited:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
It ain't that serious. Viewer just supposed to assume all went well. We don't know that she didnt do what u said either

Well we know she didn't do it first. She went to the cash.

Did my post read serious?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Also love the detail they're giving to every relationship and everyones point of view. Most superhero shows don't do a good job at really explaining where the significant other is coming from and what their issue is with the main hero. Especially if they don't want them to do the hero thing. But in this show? I get it. I get why Lynn doesn't want Jefferson back in the streets and she's not wrong. But Jefferson isn't wrong for wanting to be black lightning either. Like I said, it's a lot more nuanced than I'm used to with these CW joints. Flash never holds Barry's feet to the fire until the last episode of the season, and Arrow, while often reminding us how Oliver was a screw up and makes mistakes even as green arrow, the show normally comes down on his side (unless felicity is involved :russ:) but Black Lightning isn't saying either one of them are wrong or right.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
Watching the second episode, I love how "lived in" the world feels. All the characters have shades and depth to their personalities, and you get a sense of the history of this community. Even a character like Jennifer, who at first seemed like she was just the average rebellious teen, has new dynamics introduced to her personality with her new relationship and her coping with the trauma of her kidnapping. This is a show that feels like it's really about people and their lives rather than just "look how cool Black Lightning is."

The comparisons to Luke Cage are inevitable, but I feel it does both shows a bit of a disservice. They handle similar subject matter, but come at it from different angles. Luke Cage was kind of like an old western: the lone stranger from out of town is called to action by a community that's in need of a hero despite his desire for a peaceful life. Luke refuses the call to be a superhero mostly for his own desire. Black Lightning instead follows a man very much of the community he is trying to save. He stops using his powers not because he wants peace, but because he wants to be there for his family and help his community in a different way. Ironically, he is pulled back in for those same reasons.

Luke Cage is about a man trying to find his place in the world again and finding strength in a new community. Black Lightning is about a man who knows his place, but is struggling with how to best serve his community given he plays two very important and different roles in it. There are similarities, but they're more on the surface; both shows have different goals.

Also love the detail they're giving to every relationship and everyones point of view. Most superhero shows don't do a good job at really explaining where the significant other is coming from and what their issue is with the main hero. Especially if they don't want them to do the hero thing. But in this show? I get it. I get why Lynn doesn't want Jefferson back in the streets and she's not wrong. But Jefferson isn't wrong for wanting to be black lightning either. Like I said, it's a lot more nuanced than I'm used to with these CW joints. Flash never holds Barry's feet to the fire until the last episode of the season, and Arrow, while often reminding us how Oliver was a screw up and makes mistakes even as green arrow, the show normally comes down on his side (unless felicity is involved :russ:) but Black Lightning isn't saying either one of them are wrong or right.
I still feel like Lynn is going to get shyt on by the fans for being the "wet blanket" character. Which sucks, because like you said, her point of view is completely valid and I also appreciate the nuance and maturity the show has to start out questioning the heroics. It makes sense given where the hero is coming from. Jefferson isn't some single 20-something living in a one bedroom apartment like your normal CW protag. He's a 40+ father of two, an educator, and a community leader. He should be more thoughtful and hesitant about using his powers, and the people in his life should question it because a lot are counting on him being alive. It's a good angle, but if there's one thing I've learned from watching the other CW shows, it's that the fastest way to make the fans hate you is to question the hero (unless you're Felicity).

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Watching the second episode, I love how "lived in" the world feels. All the characters have shades and depth to their personalities, and you get a sense of the history of this community. Even a character like Jennifer, who at first seemed like she was just the average rebellious teen, has new dynamics introduced to her personality with her new relationship and her coping with the trauma of her kidnapping. This is a show that feels like it's really about people and their lives rather than just "look how cool Black Lightning is."

The comparisons to Luke Cage are inevitable, but I feel it does both shows a bit of a disservice. They handle similar subject matter, but come at it from different angles. Luke Cage was kind of like an old western: the lone stranger from out of town is called to action by a community that's in need of a hero despite his desire for a peaceful life. Luke refuses the call to be a superhero mostly for his own desire. Black Lightning instead follows a man very much of the community he is trying to save. He stops using his powers not because he wants peace, but because he wants to be there for his family and help his community in a different way. Ironically, he is pulled back in for those same reasons.

Luke Cage is about a man trying to find his place in the world again and finding strength in a new community. Black Lightning is about a man who knows his place, but is struggling with how to best serve his community give he plays two very important and different roles in it. There are similarities, but they're more on the surface; both shows have different goals.

I still feel like Lynn is going to get shyt on by the fans for being the "wet blanket" character. Which sucks, because like you said, her point of view is completely valid and I also appreciate the nuance and maturity the show has to start out questioning the heroics. It makes sense given where the hero is coming from. Jefferson isn't some single 20-something living in a one bedroom apartment like your normal CW protag. He's a 40+ father of two, an educator, and a community leader. He should be more thoughtful and hesitant about using his powers, and the people in his life should question it because a lot are counting on him being alive. It's a good angle, but if there's one thing I've learned from watching the other CW shows, it's that the fastest way to make the fans hate you is to question the hero (unless you're Felicity).

Your last point says more about the fans than the shows. That’s immature shyt