Official Black Lightning Season 1 Thread

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Thought it was decent. :ehh:

Hopefully they give the antagonists some depth though. Right now they just seem like generic fukk nikka gang members that just want to cause trouble for no reason. :pachaha:

My only problem with the show at this point, albeit a potentially major one. Black superheroes are always tryna stop basic ass crime and Black villains never have truly villainous aspirations. I'ma need one of these nikkas to try to destroy the city or disrupt the timeline or find immortality or some shyt :francis:

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
My only problem with the show at this point, albeit a potentially major one. Black superheroes are always tryna stop basic ass crime and Black villains never have truly villainous aspirations. I'ma need one of these nikkas to try to destroy the city or disrupt the timeline or find immortality or some shyt :francis:

Pretty much. Can we ever have a black villain that's not a gang member or gang leader? :why:

I'm trying to see some black mad scientists or corrupt CEOs or something. Just because a superhero is black doesn't mean their show has to completely revolve about gang activity.

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Pretty much. Can we ever have a black villain that's not a gang member or gang leader? :why:

I'm trying to see some black mad scientists or corrupt CEOs or something. Just because a superhero is black doesn't mean their show has to completely revolve about gang activity.
Nah I like that this is a small scale thing. Black Lightning's concern is for his hood, and you can already see he has a profound effect in Freeland. For a community in the hood, gang shyt is normal so I let that slide.

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA

That's the agenda. Black shows have to have "realism" no matter what the genre is, even comic book shows. Meanwhile they have these wild intricate plots surrounding the white heroes, otherwise they would have absolutely no conflict to write about. What Barry gonna do without speedsters and metas messing with the timeline and blowing up the city? They don't even seem to have non-meta crime there, besides Barry killing Devoe :lolbron:

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Nah I like that this is a small scale thing. Black Lightning's concern is for his hood, and you can already see he has a profound effect in Freeland. For a community in the hood, gang shyt is normal so I let that slide.

Star City is far more hood than anything shown in Freeland at this point. BL's house looks like it's in the burbs too.
I'd post up outside that motel before I ever set foot in the Glades :francis:

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Star City is far more hood than anything shown in Freeland at this point. BL's house looks like it's in the burbs too.
I'd post up outside that motel before I ever set foot in the Glades :francis:
His house is in the burbs, but his job is in an inner city school. He has clout in his city and I like the aspect of a black man leading his community doing positive shyt like being a principal.

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
His house is in the burbs, but his job is in an inner city school. He has clout in his city and I like the aspect of a black man leading his community doing positive shyt like being a principal.

That's fantastic. But that reads like a family drama, not a superhero show. Why can't breh be a scientist in his mid-20s who saves his city from superpowered villains from multiple dimensions? Or be a 30-something year old millionaire who comes back from the dead and stops assassin syndicates from literally blowing up his city? Why the nikka superhero gotta be the community role model and fight local drug dealers?

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
That's fantastic. But that reads like a family drama, not a superhero show. Why can't breh be a scientist in his mid-20s who saves his city from superpowered villains from multiple dimensions? Or be a 30-something year old millionaire who comes back from the dead and stops assassin syndicates from literally blowing up his city? Why the nikka superhero gotta be the community role model and fight local drug dealers?

Exactly, couldn't have said any better. It's not specifically this show but just black superhero shows/comics in general, you see the same with Luke Cage (at least the Netflix show anyway) and Static. It's fine sometimes but I'd like to see a little more variety. Seems like they tend to write black characters as either paragons of morality or stereotypical ignorant thugs with not much in between.

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Well the dude that plays Black Lightning himself said that this is basically a family drama with superpowers. I see what you talking about though, we'll get our fantastical shyt when Black Panther comes out.