Official Black Lightning Season 1 Thread

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
Exactly, couldn't have said any better. It's not specifically this show but just black superhero shows/comics in general, you see the same with Luke Cage (at least the Netflix show anyway) and Static. It's fine sometimes but I'd like to see a little more variety. Seems like they tend to write black characters as either paragons of morality or stereotypical ignorant thugs with not much in between.

Right. Don't mean the show won't (continue to) be good or that it's automatically some :mjpls: c00n shyt, but it's disheartening that the only way they feel they can make a show like this is to be basic and based on real life shyt. nikkas like fantasy too, otherwise we wouldn't be watching a damn CW comic book show. You also limit the level of interest the average cac can be expected to have in the show when they can neither relate NOR suspend disbelief when watching it.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Pretty much. Can we ever have a black villain that's not a gang member or gang leader? :why:

I'm trying to see some black mad scientists or corrupt CEOs or something. Just because a superhero is black doesn't mean their show has to completely revolve about gang activity.

True, but you got to hope they build on it. Especially considering Black Lightning doesn't have meta-supervillians

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
The showrunner confirmed BL is in its own universe.

They could reveal it's one of the many Earths in the other shows' multiverse, though.

If this show proves to be a success I expect them to attach it to one of the other shows. The whole line about "other neighborhoods have super powered vigilantes and they are called Hero's" open's the door for crossovers.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
If this show proves to be a success I expect them to attach it to one of the other shows. The whole line about "other neighborhoods have super powered vigilantes and they are called Hero's" open's the door for crossovers.
Push come to shove, Cisco will just dimension hop them.

The universe connections dont really matter much outside the yearly crossover.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
That's the agenda. Black shows have to have "realism" no matter what the genre is, even comic book shows. Meanwhile they have these wild intricate plots surrounding the white heroes, otherwise they would have absolutely no conflict to write about. What Barry gonna do without speedsters and metas messing with the timeline and blowing up the city? They don't even seem to have non-meta crime there, besides Barry killing Devoe :lolbron:

I should point out that (at the moment) DeVoe IS a black villain that's not a gang leader or a gang member .

As far as comic book shows, this is a good time to remind every one about the underrated "Blade: The Series". Very little "gang activity" there (other than the fact that the vampire houses are like mafia families).

Professor K.

rap game Paul Millsap
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, GA
I should point out that (at the moment) DeVoe IS a black villain that's not a gang leader or a gang member .

As far as comic book shows, this is a good time to remind every one about the underrated "Blade: The Series". Very little "gang activity" there (other than the fact that the vampire houses are like mafia families).
Devoe is a white man who overpowered a Black man's mind to take his body and use it as a tool to further his own agenda. Even when we win we losing. :francis: