Official Biden vs. Trump 2020 General Election Thread (Biden WINS 306 Electoral College Votes)

Who wins?

• Joe Biden, Vice President of the USA (2009-2017)

Votes: 440 81.6%
  • Donald Trump, President of the USA (2017-present)

Votes: 99 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Hillary lost Michigan Wisconsin and Pennsylvania by a combined 77,000 votes.

It’s hard to envision that Biden hasn’t been able to overcome that simply by not being Hillary Clinton. I also think a lot of this frustration surrounding the virus and the civil unrest is locked in - people are more pissed off at this president than any other in my lifetime. If Trump was a better unifier, he’d be a much more formidable politician and a heavy favorite for re-election imo.

Are there any states that were blue in 2016 that could turn red this year? It doesn’t seem like that but there are a few trending in the opposite direction. It’s gonna be close though, I could see a 1996 like popular vote win for Biden but the electoral college will keep it close.
Trump campaign is targeting Minnesota but if Hillary could barely win it, Biden definitely can.

Hillary also barely won New Hampshire.

Nevada was also close. But the demographics don't favor Trump.

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
If you're not going to contribute anything besides shytty concern trolling, get out. :camby:
I don’t think it’s concern trolling a lot Dems were traumatized by 2016. I don’t blame them because Hillary had it on the bag. However Biden seems to be the opposite of Hillary.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

(CNN) We've learned the lesson multiple times in the last few decades: There is no national presidential election. Candidates can get fewer votes and win, if they win enough states containing a majority of electoral votes. That's something President Donald Trump may hope happens again, because the national polls have had him trailing all year.

The problem for Trump is there's basically no chance he pulls off what he did last time if where he stands now in the national polls holds through Election Day.

View Trump and Biden head-to-head polling

This week, high-quality polls from ABC News/Washington Post and Monmouth University have former Vice President Joe Biden ahead by 10 and 11 points among registered voters. That's 8 to 9 points better than Hillary Clinton ended up doing nationally. The average of all polls has Biden up by high single digits.

In 2016, the final polls had Trump trailing by 3 to 4 points nationally and he lost the popular vote by 2.1 points. He won the state containing the median electoral vote plus 1 (i.e. the "tipping point state" that puts a candidate over the top in the Electoral College), Wisconsin, by 0.8 point. That makes for a difference of 2.9 points between the final national margin and the tipping point state.

If you applied that 2.9-point difference to either the ABC News/Washington Post or Monmouth polls, Biden would be ahead by 7 or 8 points in the tipping point state. He would, in other words, be well ahead in the state that would determine the Electoral College winner.

Indeed, you're seeing that reflected in the state polling. A Fox News poll from Wisconsin out on Wednesday had Biden up by 9 points, or 10 points better than Clinton did in Wisconsin. Other high-quality polling taken this week from Arizona, Ohio and Texas has Biden doing 9 points better on average than Clinton did in those states in 2016.

Looking back historically, you can see it would be really hard for Trump to again pull off the Electoral College-popular vote split in 2020, given the current polling.

In the 41 presidential elections since the birth of the Republican Party, the difference between the national margin and the tipping-point state margin has averaged 1.8 points. What happened in 2016 was about a point away from that long-term historical average. The fact that Trump won was not a great anomaly given the closeness of the national vote.

So what does this mean for 2020? Obviously, a similar national vote from 2016 could produce a similar Electoral College outcome. Even a 5-point national win for Biden wouldn't be "safe." That's because if you were to create a 95% confidence interval in the difference between the national vote margin and tipping-point state margin, it would be 5 points. Anything less and it's a "within the margin of error" situation, even if the national polling were perfectly accurate in showing Biden ahead. You'd really need to look at the state polling closely in such a situation.
Biden's advantage this entire year in the national polling has been north of 5 points, though close enough to that mark for Biden to be at least a little scared.

For Trump to win in the fall, one of three things needs to happen.

The easiest is for Trump to close the gap between Biden and himself nationally. He can certainly do that. We're five months from the election, and races can shift around.
Otherwise, Trump will need a national polling error significantly larger than 2016 and/or the gap between the Electoral College and the popular vote to be significantly greater than the historical average.

These latter two seem like bad bets.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Is trump actively tanking his candidacy on purpose? Like I'm confused he aint even hiding it anymore ( being a white supremacist)