Official Ant-Man Movie Thread

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This trailer was very blah.
The short little test footage vid that Wright did a couple years ago was better than this.
I thought that was pretty blah as well, don't understand the hype with Wright.

I didn't want to see a solo Ant-Man film and neither the leaked footage nor the bland trailer has done nothing to change that.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
So you've never heard of a studio approving of the script? You've never heard of a studio hiring a new writer because they didn't approve of the script? Or sending a script in for rewrites? None of that rings a bell breh? And you still don't know how this particular studio works? When you're telling what is essentially one big story with all of your characters, all those things are signed off by the studio. It's not like Goodfellas where it's a singular story operating in a vacuum; these stories don't operate in a vacuum and every character there is there for a reason and every thing that happens, happens for a reason; everything is interconnected and planned out ahead of time so like I said, if they didn't want it to be Lang, it wouldn't have been Lang. Shield being no more in Cap 2 sets up the new world that the movies operate in now, so that's a decision that the studio is going to sign off on and then move it forward. Any director who's worked on a Marvel movie has attested to that fact breh.

Approving is not the same as coming up with the idea. The originator of idea bears the main responsibility.
In some of your posts you act like Marvel should have let Edgar do whatever he wanted and made an original and unique movie. And in others you are like Marvel should have held his hand the entire time and told him exactly what they wanted. Make up your mind please.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Trailer was a little underwhelming but that might also be becuase I couldn't give a single iota about the Ant-Man character. Marvel's track record however indicates that they shouldn't be doubted by ONE mediocre teaser so I'm willing to give it a shot...

And there has to be another reason that Wright left becuase there is NO WAY he possibly could've thought he was going to make a "standalone" Marvel film of ANY kind when the MAIN draw of these films is their connectivity.....

I thought he signed to the movie before there was even an Ironman? So he started writing it not thinking the connection was that deep. And he took so long to finish his script by time he did Marvel was a few films deep in establishing the MCU.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Approving is not the same as coming up with the idea. The originator of idea bears the main responsibility.
In some of your posts you act like Marvel should have let Edgar do whatever he wanted and made an original and unique movie. And in others you are like Marvel should have held his hand the entire time and told him exactly what they wanted. Make up your mind please.

Breh if that's the way you're taking it then you're not grasping anything I'm saying. I said before that he should be able to do his own thing and put his stamp on it but clearly there's only but so far he can go because he still works within a system that has been structured since 08 and always building to something. By doing his own thing, I mean he should be allowed to put his own creative stamp on it from a directorial standpoint when it comes to the way its shot, the way it looks, the editing and everything he does that makes him unique. And I also said if he wanted to go too far out the box or Marvel didn't agree with some of the things he planned to do, whatever they are, then both parties did the right thing and cut bait.

And based on reports from way back when, Feige, Wright and Joe Cornish have been working on this since way back when so he's just as much a part of the creative behind it as anyone else and again, any director who's worked on these films will attest to that, including the ones who have only worked with them once. Iron Man 2 is a perfect example of what I'm talking about where Favreau had to set up certain things in the story in order to serve the larger purpose of the marvel world even at to the detriment of his own movie. They have something in mind as to where they want or need the story to go and its up to the writer and director to add what they can to it in order to get it to that end point. I don't see how that's so hard to comprehend breh, I really don't.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think the trailer was weak because the events of the movie probably tie in alot with whats gonna happen in Avengers 2. At least I'm hoping....

Ant-man could very well be marvels 1st flop... I wonder how they'd handle that?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I thought he signed to the movie before there was even an Ironman? So he started writing it not thinking the connection was that deep. And he took so long to finish his script by time he did Marvel was a few films deep in establishing the MCU.

Doesn't matter WHEN he signed on, it was pretty clear once the first Iron Man did the numbers it did and established the Marvel Cinematic Universe as we know it that all other subsequent films were going to have to follow suit. There's no way that Feige and Wright hadnt had this conversation and then all of a suddenly they pulled the okie doke on him. Ant-Man didn't even get the official green light until what...after the first Avengers? Too much at stake for both Marvel and the character (a lesser known, non-revered character at that) to NOT entrench him deep in the MCU so I refuse to believe that Wright left simply because Marvel wanted the movie as connected as possible

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Doesn't matter WHEN he signed on, it was pretty clear once the first Iron Man did the numbers it did and established the Marvel Cinematic Universe as we know it that all other subsequent films were going to have to follow suit. There's no way that Feige and Wright hadnt had this conversation and then all of a suddenly they pulled the okie doke on him. Ant-Man didn't even get the official green light until what...after the first Avengers? Too much at stake for both Marvel and the character (a lesser known, non-revered character at that) to NOT entrench him deep in the MCU so I refuse to believe that Wright left simply because Marvel wanted the movie as connected as possible

Wright isn't talking yet so I guess you can speculate.
Breh if that's the way you're taking it then you're not grasping anything I'm saying. I said before that he should be able to do his own thing and put his stamp on it but clearly there's only but so far he can go because he still works within a system that has been structured since 08 and always building to something. By doing his own thing, I mean he should be allowed to put his own creative stamp on it from a directorial standpoint when it comes to the way its shot, the way it looks, the editing and everything he does that makes him unique. And I also said if he wanted to go too far out the box or Marvel didn't agree with some of the things he planned to do, whatever they are, then both parties did the right thing and cut bait.

And based on reports from way back when, Feige, Wright and Joe Cornish have been working on this since way back when so he's just as much a part of the creative behind it as anyone else and again, any director who's worked on these films will attest to that, including the ones who have only worked with them once. Iron Man 2 is a perfect example of what I'm talking about where Favreau had to set up certain things in the story in order to serve the larger purpose of the marvel world even at to the detriment of his own movie. They have something in mind as to where they want or need the story to go and its up to the writer and director to add what they can to it in order to get it to that end point. I don't see how that's so hard to comprehend breh, I really don't.
Can you link me to these reports because I never heard Feige had anything to do with the original script. He was presented with Wright and Cornish's script and ordered rewrites after the fact that's when they decided to part ways. After the rewrite by Marvel.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Not gonna lie. For the first time I think Marvel might flop on this. The July release date to maximize potential patrons during the summer is rare on Marvels part. Even when people doubted Guardians, I knew it would be dope based on where the story took place. Trailer felt like a Spider Man teaser :scusthov:

But at the same token, Guardians first trailer wasn't :krs: so I will reserve judgement until after I see the third trailer or exclusive clips.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Wright isn't talking yet so I guess you can speculate.

Can you link me to these reports because I never heard Feige had anything to do with the original script. He was presented with Wright and Cornish's script and ordered rewrites after the fact that's when they decided to part ways. After the rewrite by Marvel.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=98714

That's as far back I can go without going through pages and pages on Google since most of the stories deal with the fallout of the relationship but that's an excerpt from Empire. He says that they had plans for Edgar and Ant-Man going back years and rearranged their movies based on that plan.

Based on the history, they wrote their story way back in the early 2000s, then Marvel hired he and Cornish to do their thing. Based on everything that has transpired in their films and with the way Feige runs Marvel with an iron fist homie, if there were elements of the story, like main characters, that he didn't like, they wouldn't be used. They took Alan Taylor off of Thor 2 in post production to shoot more stuff and add what they wanted, so it really is one team one vision, which can be fine in some cases and it's a lot better than having no vision at all, but there will be casualties :whoknows: All to say that if they really didn't want Scott Lang, then there would be no Scott Lang breh, that's the bottom line. You don't go that deep into the production process on any film playing with main characters that you don't want; that's the stuff you get straight on day one

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=98714

That's as far back I can go without going through pages and pages on Google since most of the stories deal with the fallout of the relationship but that's an excerpt from Empire. He says that they had plans for Edgar and Ant-Man going back years and rearranged their movies based on that plan.

Based on the history, they wrote their story way back in the early 2000s, then Marvel hired he and Cornish to do their thing. Based on everything that has transpired in their films and with the way Feige runs Marvel with an iron fist homie, if there were elements of the story, like main characters, that he didn't like, they wouldn't be used. They took Alan Taylor off of Thor 2 in post production to shoot more stuff and add what they wanted, so it really is one team one vision, which can be fine in some cases and it's a lot better than having no vision at all, but there will be casualties :whoknows: All to say that if they really didn't want Scott Lang, then there would be no Scott Lang breh, that's the bottom line. You don't go that deep into the production process on any film playing with main characters that you don't want; that's the stuff you get straight on day one

This article seems to support my point. Edgar wanted to do Scott Lang not necessarily Marvel.
"We changed, frankly some of the MCU to accommodate this version of Ant-Man. . ."
"It was two things - a story Edgar wanted to tell that we'll see with Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd, and now we're 11 films in, it's looking at the characters we've already introduced who already have the technology and the brains to do...certain things [Laughs]."

Seems the iron fist rule of Kevin Feige is a bit overdone. He accommodated his director.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This article seems to support my point. Edgar wanted to do Scott Lang not necessarily Marvel.
"We changed, frankly some of the MCU to accommodate this version of Ant-Man. . ."
"It was two things - a story Edgar wanted to tell that we'll see with Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd, and now we're 11 films in, it's looking at the characters we've already introduced who already have the technology and the brains to do...certain things [Laughs]."

Seems the iron fist rule of Kevin Feige is a bit overdone. He accommodated his director.

Meh read some more stories breh.

This follows on the heels of Marvel taking Thor: The Dark World away from Alan Taylor in post and having another director come on and shoot additional material. Marvel's always been autocratic - this is the house that Feige built, and he's been leading it with an iron fist - but things have been getting uglier over there for some time, especially now that Disney is getting involved. Why would the studio fukk with the division that's making money and having a huge cultural impact right when they're at their best? Because of dumb egos. Hollywood is dumb, run by dumb, venal people, and the executives who aren't creative resent the people who are, and want to get their stink on the movies. And you have to understand that Disney doesn't care about the movies - they want the Marvel IP so they can sell diapers and shirts and bedsheets. The movies are just commercials for the IP.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/24/is-this-the-end-of-the-marvel-movie-age/

Again, nothing wrong with running your business that way, nothing at all. If it gets results, then it gets results

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
nikkas are so mad about wright :bryan:

Just get over it damn. Judge the movie when it actually drops Jesus

After guardians I think marvel gets the benefit of the doubt until they actually do have a flop

I'm not mad breh I was just more interested with him on board rather the guy who directed Bring it On and the Yes Man:whoknows:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Evangeline Lily pretty much confirmed that Edgar Wright's version would not have fit in with the Marvel movies and looked out of place. I get the feeling the aesthetic would have been like Scott Pilgrim with words on the screen and scenes folding like book pages:patrice:. I can see how that would have thrown people off. They've gave him a lot of leeway. Scott Lang never would have be used if not for Wright. Joss Whedon wanted to use The Wasp in The Avengers, but they had to cut her due to the Ant-Man film even though it had no date. Now they're giving Black Widow all of her powers in the next Avengers movie:shaq2: giving her an electric suit and stun batons:heh:.