Tha Snowman

Rookie
Daps
I don't know much about doing this, I followed that youtube video. I'm going to find a slightly older version & try to restore via titanium backup this time

I do have a question on custom roms & the procedure of adding them to my phone

You can't restore any clockwork data once you go from gb to ics. Use titanium backup for apps, sms backup and restore for texts. Both in the play store.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Correct. Let's explain the differences for him:

ClockWork Mod Recovery's Backup option is used to take system images of your current setup. Apps, Data, Wifi, etc. EVERYTHING. Entire system.

So say you did a Nandroid backup last week, and your current setup fukked up a few minutes ago. You can go into recovery, and restore your setup from last week. Think of it like Windows Restore Points. also, you cannot transfer this data across ROMs withoutbig issues.

The application side of things, either using Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root/Pro, have the ability to backup applications plus their data, and move them across ROMs and such. They also can backup text messages and some parts of the system data. It is less thorough than Nandroid backups, but you can take the data across different ROMs. The transfer of data can be "dirty" (i.e. muck up the system or app data) so I suggest (I do it to be safe, entirely up to you) that you keep it to the same release. Gingerbread app data with a Gingerbread ROM, ICS with ICS, etc. To be a bit safer, only restore the app and not the data.

the artist known az

Hail the victors
Daps
Reppin
TSC FA' Life #ByrdGang
Correct. Let's explain the differences for him:

ClockWork Mod Recovery's Backup option is used to take system images of your current setup. Apps, Data, Wifi, etc. EVERYTHING. Entire system.

So say you did a Nandroid backup last week, and your current setup fukked up a few minutes ago. You can go into recovery, and restore your setup from last week. Think of it like Windows Restore Points. also, you cannot transfer this data across ROMs withoutbig issues.

The application side of things, either using Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root/Pro, have the ability to backup applications plus their data, and move them across ROMs and such. They also can backup text messages and some parts of the system data. It is less thorough than Nandroid backups, but you can take the data across different ROMs. The transfer of data can be "dirty" (i.e. muck up the system or app data) so I suggest (I do it to be safe, entirely up to you) that you keep it to the same release. Gingerbread app data with a Gingerbread ROM, ICS with ICS, etc. To be a bit safer, only restore the app and not the data.

So you're saying by using titanium backup only backup the apps & not the system data? Would that also restore my contacts? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Your contacts are synced through Google. Check it out in Settings/Accounts/Sync. You may also use Titanium for contacts.

If you take the Google route make sure your stuff is setup under Accounts. Secondly, it never hurts to have a second backup.

Personally, I leave titanium for apps. If Google can sync it I let them do it. That goes for contacts, email, gvoice, etc.

Lastly, about system data, some of it doesn't transfer over too well. Wifi passwords for example if pushed to your new build may make the Wifi go crazy. Just personal experience. That is possibly better off not moving over.

As far as other system stuff goes just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Brooklynzson

Just a kid from Brooklyn
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Coli
Won't I need unlimited data to get access to music on the go? I'm assuming you mentioned Google play
You dont have unlimited data? :what: You would only use data/wifi for the songs you have saved in the clouds. Whatever is on your internal and/or sd card uses no data.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
You dont have unlimited data? :what: You would only use data/wifi for the songs you have saved in the clouds. Whatever is on your internal and/or sd card uses no data.

Play Music's advantage is only the cloud tho...if most of his music is directly on the phone then I would recommend PowerAmp

Brooklynzson

Just a kid from Brooklyn
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Coli
Play Music's advantage is only the cloud tho...if most of his music is directly on the phone then I would recommend PowerAmp
Just downloaded Poweramp & its wack, it doesnt give me lockscreen controls on ics & I cant long press vol up or down to skip fwd or back songs. Plus the UI and layout is trash. Google Play Music >>>>*

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Just downloaded Poweramp & its wack, it doesnt give me lockscreen controls on ics & I cant long press vol up or down to skip fwd or back songs. Plus the UI and layout is trash. Google Play Music >>>>*

:what:

What phone you got breh. It has ICS Lockscreen Controls (or at least it did back when I had stock) PLUS it does gapless playback and cross-fading between tracks. The UI can be altered but it's designed the way it is so you have maximum control over the way you look for and play your music, not to be the most beautiful looking music player. If your issue is the main player though, that can be adjusted to only show the album art, player controls and song info.

lol @ Google Music being better...I guarantee you any album played on PowerAmp can be made to sound ten times better than the same album on Google Music.

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven

I agree.

shyt, I have lockscreen controls on CM 7.1 (Gingerbread)