New York
screen-shot-2012-11-08-at-1.22.11-pmwtmk.jpg

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
Sony Xperia S removed from AOSP, project will live on at Sony GitHub

[ame=http://youtu.be/2UnydjgfonA]Android Open Source Project on Sony Xperia S - YouTube[/ame]

The Sony Xperia S has been kicking around in the Android Open Source Project for a while now. It never was an official target, but with the work from Sony and JBQ it was a usable option for those willing to tinker around, and by most accounts a success. With things ramping up and preparing for the AOSP to move on to Android 4.2, it has been removed.

The project will still live on, though, as Sony has set up a dedicated git for the Xperia S at their GitHub space. Interested parties can still hack away at Android 4.1 for the device, with plenty of community and official support. Full instructions for pulling and building are available, and folks interested should find the experience hasn't changed much.

As for why it was removed, Sony engineers explain that Google can't commit time and resources to maintaining anything other than Nexus devices in the official AOSP. We still see the Pandaboard in AOSP though, so there's more to the issue. It appears that Sony is unwilling to release all the binary files needed to boot the Xperia S into a usable state, which is a good reason to have it removed from the AOSP. We're not sure if the move was mandated or voluntary, but it certainly wasn't unexpected with needed files being withheld.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
:what: watch this video. Dude clearly said its not the real phone. Same phone reviewers got

Nexus 4, Nexus 10, Android 4.2 an exclusive first look from inside Google HQ - YouTube

Do you know when that video was taken? The only thing you know about the video is that it was posted the day the embargo was lifted. The device the developers have now is the final hardware. They'll all get a software update 2 days before the phone officially goes on sale on the 13th. You really think anything hardware specific is gonna change about the device in such a short space of time? Any chance of the throttling issues getting sorted out is gonna come via a firmware update/new kernel.

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
Do you know when that video was taken? The only thing you know about the video is that it was posted the day the embargo was lifted. The device the developers have now is the final hardware. They'll all get a software update 2 days before the phone officially goes on sale on the 13th. You really think anything hardware specific is gonna change about the device in such a short space of time? Any chance of the throttling issues getting sorted out is gonna come via a firmware update/new kernel.

I said the software that they are using is a beta software. I said nothing about the hardware. The issue can be fix via an update. Google shipping the phones out with an update. I own a galaxy nexus I know. I also stated that Google will update the beta phones with the final software build which obviously will have a different kernel. Its called a leak test bruh. Apple does the same thing in reverse. They ship out the beta software for development. Google does it also at Google I/O

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York

Josh was given a phone that day BTW and a few days later the other guys got the beta phone. Everybody said that they will update their phones reviews once the final build is released. Software can fix these issues

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
My dad is buying one. He has an old bb pearl and its :flabbynsick:

He almost spent 250-300 on some old ass gingerbread tmo samsungs, so I showed him that for 299 and he about to :eat: with his simple mobile sim

Nice!!! This is the discussion we should be having. Google is rebelling against the industry yet people are crying about LTE. 299$ for a high end new phone will kill all those crap android budget phone. $299 is freedom also from carriers and their ETF

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Specs wise is the nexus 4 better the the galaxy s3. I have an S3 but I'm debating buying the Nexus. it either way they will both be on simple mobile.

Rohiggidy

The Big League
Daps
Reppin
New York
Specs wise is the nexus 4 better the the galaxy s3. I have an S3 but I'm debating buying the Nexus. it either way they will both be on simple mobile.

Yes it is....wait till the comparison video. Touch wiz is faster than stock android unless u take off the animations

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yes.. EXCEPT the cameras are better on the s3 and the s3 has expandable storage and a battery you can take out and extend if you please. On the nexus.. You can't switch out batteries and the memory is NOT expandable.

The nexus has faster processor... Sharper screen.. And stock Android and faster android updates.... Which is always a plus over skinned android on the gs3 and HTC phones, etc.

If you are fine with not having expandable onboard storage and not being able to switch out your battery... Along with not having "true" Lte... Then the nexus is the easy choice. I'm going to order a nexus myself and I own a gs3.. I'm going to try it out and see if I can handle not having true Lte and no expandable storage/no battery swapping and go from there.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3