Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
If they lose out No way they don’t pick QB with top 3 pick. This is their last chance to get franchise QB prospect in draft. Lions will be much better next year and not have draft capital they have now. Doubt Holmes and Campbell tie their future to Goff. Not to mention Goff is due for an extension next year that will probably be upwards $40 mill
Also depends on where we draft. If it's a top two pick sure, I can imagine Holmes drafting a QB. But once you get to 3-5, which seems like a more likely spot for the Rams pick to land, you're out of the QB range. Beyond Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, none of these QBs deserve to go in the top 15. I expect the media to hype of Will Levis and convince people they didn't see how pedestrian he is with their very own eyes, but they sure as shyt won't be fooling Holmes.

Assuming I'm right and we end up in that top 3-5 range you're talking about Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. The two best d-lineman in the draft, and automatic game changers for us. Then with the second pick, which could be 10-15 you're probably talking about getting the best or second best CB in the draft. Two picks in the 2nd round means you can get more defensive help and reach for a QB. Pretty wide open thanks to how good the last two drafts have been. A few months ago it seemed like drafting safety in the first two rounds was likely. Now it looks like we're set there thanks to Kerby Joseph, assuming Tracy Walker recovers well.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Also depends on where we draft. If it's a top two pick sure, I can imagine Holmes drafting a QB. But once you get to 3-5, which seems like a more likely spot for the Rams pick to land, you're out of the QB range. Beyond Bryce Young and CJ Stroud, none of these QBs deserve to go in the top 15. I expect the media to hype of Will Levis and convince people they didn't see how pedestrian he is with their very own eyes, but they sure as shyt won't be fooling Holmes.

Assuming I'm right and we end up in that top 3-5 range you're talking about Will Anderson or Jalen Carter. The two best d-lineman in the draft, and automatic game changers for us. Then with the second pick, which could be 10-15 you're probably talking about getting the best or second best CB in the draft. Two picks in the 2nd round means you can get more defensive help and reach for a QB. Pretty wide open thanks to how good the last two drafts have been. A few months ago it seemed like drafting safety in the first two rounds was likely. Now it looks like we're set there thanks to Kerby Joseph, assuming Tracy Walker recovers well.
If will Levi’s is a lb, he may not get drafted by us. Holmes says he doesn’t belying taking lbs in the first. He says you can find value later. Hopefully he views him as a DL.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
If will Levi’s is a lb, he may not get drafted by us. Holmes says he doesn’t belying taking lbs in the first. He says you can find value later. Hopefully he views him as a DL.

Will Levis the QB, not lb. But yea, that's why I think we hit LB in free agency. Not to say we won't draft one, but like you said Holmes is on record saying that's a mid/late round value. A lot of mock drafts have the Lions taking Penei's brother, the Oregon LB. Holmes went to one of their games and people ran with it, but Oregon also has a real good CB who Holmes was likely looking at.

Lets just say for instance we go out and get Roquan Smith in free agency. Ravens gotta pay Lamar Jackson so they'll let Smith walk. Then we get Will Anderson or Jalen Carter, followed by the best available CB. Plus add more d-line depth later in the draft (I'm assuming Onwuzurike's career is finished), another LB to push the young guys (Rodrigo, Barnes) in the room, maybe some depth at safety. All of a sudden we're talking about POTENTIALLY a top 10-15 defense that is super young and will keep getting better. Offense wise the only holes I see are at RB (Swift has to be replaced) and some WR depth. Add some o-line depth too. Point being...this could be a very good team next year if Holmes knocks the draft out the park again plus we land a legit FA starter (Roquan Smith).

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
If they lose out No way they don’t pick QB with top 3 pick. This is their last chance to get franchise QB prospect in draft. Lions will be much better next year and not have draft capital they have now. Doubt Holmes and Campbell tie their future to Goff. Not to mention Goff is due for an extension next year that will probably be upwards $40 mill
This is looking like a two QB draft. If LA loses out, they should be picking second but if they wind up third, Detroit can't reach for a QB just because.

Take the best defender and run it back with Goof or see if there's any chance of prying Lamar away from Baltimore.

Low key, Brady is gonna be a free agent and this would be an instant contender if he still has it. :mjpls:

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Will Levis the QB, not lb. But yea, that's why I think we hit LB in free agency. Not to say we won't draft one, but like you said Holmes is on record saying that's a mid/late round value. A lot of mock drafts have the Lions taking Penei's brother, the Oregon LB. Holmes went to one of their games and people ran with it, but Oregon also has a real good CB who Holmes was likely looking at.

Lets just say for instance we go out and get Roquan Smith in free agency. Ravens gotta pay Lamar Jackson so they'll let Smith walk. Then we get Will Anderson or Jalen Carter, followed by the best available CB. Plus add more d-line depth later in the draft (I'm assuming Onwuzurike's career is finished), another LB to push the young guys (Rodrigo, Barnes) in the room, maybe some depth at safety. All of a sudden we're talking about POTENTIALLY a top 10-15 defense that is super young and will keep getting better. Offense wise the only holes I see are at RB (Swift has to be replaced) and some WR depth. Add some o-line depth too. Point being...this could be a very good team next year if Holmes knocks the draft out the park again plus we land a legit FA starter (Roquan Smith).
I meant will Anderson but typed Willis.

I think carter would be best for this team. Him next to McNeil will be what we thought we were getting in the draft with Levi. Pair them with Hutch and we only need 1 of our current hopefuls to pan out.

Bijon Robinson looks incredible. Somehow he has to be Swifts replacement if we choose to do that. He is a faster leveon bell imo.

Instead of reaching for qb I’d prefer to take Anthony Richardson in the second and give Goff another year. He’s big bodied and elusive. Looks as athletic as fields. If he can learn to throw the way Allen did, we’d be set. Not saying get as good at throwing as Allen. saying, Allen looked horrible his first year. A qb coach can fix things these days.

Any combination of these guys and I’m buying a Brad Holmes Jersey :pachaha:

As far as Roquan goes, there’s no way the Ravens gave up assets to rent him for a few games. I don’t see him leaving bmore.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI

Hard to compare Levis to Shroud and Young. Levis is on a bad Kentucky team with poor O-line and no WRs in SEC. Young supporting cast is bad per Alabama standards but still better than probably 98% of the country. OSU is always loaded offensively with NFL WR cores. Shroud always has someone open. Levis will win underwear olympics though. He’s physically the NFL QB prototype. Big, Cannon arm, mobile, most importantly WHITE. He’s going top 3 probably to Texans. Think Shroud is ideal QB for Lions offense. Accurate passer that can make all the throws if protected and Mobile enough. Young is too small to be trusted to last in NFL. He’s smaller than than Tua who also can’t stay healthy