Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
They pretty much had to do this. The whole state of Michigan was calling his name.
I'm in the Goff fan club. He's won with multiple coordinators and coaches. He's taken multiple teams to conference championships. He suffered through the rebuild to help us succeed. Why wouldn't we keep him in town? He's done more for us than Stafford, and fools were wearing Detroit Rams gear :hhh:. A relatively cap-friendly deal like this may have gotten Stafford the help he never had. Good on Goff. I'm glad he's secured for the length of our competitive window.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Big boy football time. We're drafting great, signing solid (affordable) free agents, and re-signing our guys. All while avoiding pitfalls. Traded TJ Hockensen, drafted a better TE in the second round with the pick. Let Jonah Jackson walk, signed a much cheaper/better replacement and drafted an eventual replacement in the 6th round.

My only concern right now is whether someone steps up alongside Hutch at edge. Clearly the coaching staff and GM like who they have, but the liked them last year too and it didn't go great. Maybe Davenport proves us all wrong and plays 13+ games, gets a sacks/pressures and we're all good. But if that doesn't happen we'll be hoping for Paschal to take a leap (while staying healthy) and for James Houston to return to form. I have confidence in Houston, and I'd imagine we might even get some coverage sacks this season given how much the secondary improved. The new d-line coach sounds legit as fukk so hopefully everyone takes a leap. To me that's the key on defense. If we're getting pressure inside and on the edges while having a solid sack total, the secondary will solve itself.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Big boy football time. We're drafting great, signing solid (affordable) free agents, and re-signing our guys. All while avoiding pitfalls. Traded TJ Hockensen, drafted a better TE in the second round with the pick. Let Jonah Jackson walk, signed a much cheaper/better replacement and drafted an eventual replacement in the 6th round.

My only concern right now is whether someone steps up alongside Hutch at edge. Clearly the coaching staff and GM like who they have, but the liked them last year too and it didn't go great. Maybe Davenport proves us all wrong and plays 13+ games, gets a sacks/pressures and we're all good. But if that doesn't happen we'll be hoping for Paschal to take a leap (while staying healthy) and for James Houston to return to form. I have confidence in Houston, and I'd imagine we might even get some coverage sacks this season given how much the secondary improved. The new d-line coach sounds legit as fukk so hopefully everyone takes a leap. To me that's the key on defense. If we're getting pressure inside and on the edges while having a solid sack total, the secondary will solve itself.
I've been consistent saying the line is still my concern. Everything else looks great but you gotta generate QB pressure at some point.

If there's guys available at the deadline, they gotta go after someone this year, especially if they're a pending free agent so the money won't clog up the books. All the key guys are signed now. It's time to push the chips to the middle of the table.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I've been consistent saying the line is still my concern. Everything else looks great but you gotta generate QB pressure at some point.

If there's guys available at the deadline, they gotta go after someone this year, especially if they're a pending free agent so the money won't clog up the books. All the key guys are signed now. It's time to push the chips to the middle of the table.

Yea we're prob getting close to "fukk them picks" territory. Best case scenario is that Reader and Alim generate so much interior pressure that it forces QBs right into Hutch, Houston, Paschal etc. If that doesn't happen I won't be the one arguing for caution like I did during the last trade period; I still feel like I was right, but for 2024-2025 sure I'm way more receptive to trading for a guy even if it's a rental player.

Speaking of Alim...if he plays the way I think he's gonna play next to Reader, he's gonna get a massive deal. Is that deal in Detroit? I hope so but I'm not sure.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Hooker gotta be kicking rocks. He's too old to be sitting that long. He gonna be like 30 before he can take the reigns barring injury.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
Is this basically a Daniel Jones Kirk Cousins contract, where the Lions can walk away w/ minimal cap hit after 2 years?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The complaints I'm seeing on twitter about Hooker are weird. How many years did we have to deal with endless "what about the backup QB" hand wringing, including complaints about how much the backup was making. We have a guy on a rookie deal who should be a really good backup. There seems to be an out in Goff's contract after 3 years. And if he gets hurt, Hooker can come in and thrive IMO. I'm fine with it. Let's not forget that was a really weak draft according to virtually everyone. Small amount of really good players were available and Holmes got a heavy percentage of them lol. Getting four starters and a good backup in a draft sounds like a home run to me.