Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I don’t think Goff is better than Jackson but I think the Lions are better off not going after Jackson and keeping Goff. Jackson cost too much and gets injured too much and as good as he’s been he hasn’t played in a Super Bowl even with the expectation that team should have made it at times.

The Rams already showed if you can have a great team Goff can be serviceable enough to get to the Super Bowl. Jackson is likely fools gold. His electrifying play keeps you in the conversation but his probable cap hit and injury status keep you on edge.

Jackson is a former NFL MVP, SMH

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I think Monty is a good back and will have a solid year behind the Lions OL, but I’ve seen this talking point a few times from Lions fans that the Bears had a terrible OL. The Bears rated as one of the best run blocking units in the league last season. Pass protection is what dragged them down, hence leading the NFL in sacks given up. Monty is a nice all around guy but he lacks burst, and Herbert was undoubtedly a better rusher than he was last season. Monty can catch out of the backfield tho and is good in pass pro. I don’t think the OL held him back, his lack of burst does. Dude can break tackles with the best of them though and that’s where he makes up for lack of top end burst/speed. Personally I think he’s a solid back, I think the Bears won’t miss a beat with Foreman replacing him at less cost though, he’s also arguably a better pure rusher
@Brozay coming to my defense. Never thought I'd see the day. :wow:

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Brozay coming to my defense. Never thought I'd see the day. :wow:
your OL is so good though, Monty still should produce. Pure value sense , I think you could have done even better. He’s really just alright, and it’s pretty easy to find cheap RBs who are just “alright”

regardless, I love what the Lions are building. I’m a big fan of your roster and thought Sutton was one of the best signings of the FA period

Vikings will fall back a bit and Packers … we’ll we all know what’s happening in GB. I think Lions and Bears are about to be competing for the division the next 5 years, it just might take us until ‘24 to get on Detroit’s level

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lion fans are embarrassing at times

Poll on Woodward sport asking whos better player: Lamar Jackson or Goff and Goff is leading 61% to 39% :snoop:

Lamar on Lions makes them superbowl contenders. Goff on Raven and there in Caleb Williams sweepstakes. Goff is in perfect situation. Crazy lions fans don’t see his limitations

Link?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
your OL is so good though, Monty still should produce. Pure value sense , I think you could have done even better. He’s really just alright, and it’s pretty easy to find cheap RBs who are just “alright”

regardless, I love what the Lions are building. I’m a big fan of your roster and thought Sutton was one of the best signings of the FA period

Vikings will fall back a bit and Packers … we’ll we all know what’s happening in GB. I think Lions and Bears are about to be competing for the division the next 5 years, it just might take us until ‘24 to get on Detroit’s level
Yeah, I don't question Holmes much but I don't understand this signing. Why not pay the same AAV for Miles Sanders, a guy with a career ypc of 5? I still hope they draft an RB. There's no way they can rely on Swift again and Montgomery isn't enough.

I'm really curious to see how GB pans out after they trade Rodgers. That guy is a massive diva but he was right; they didn't do enough to get him help. Jordan Love better carry on the Favre/Rodgers tradition because that was the most inexcusable draft pick I've ever seen.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I think Monty is a good back and will have a solid year behind the Lions OL, but I’ve seen this talking point a few times from Lions fans that the Bears had a terrible OL. The Bears rated as one of the best run blocking units in the league last season. Pass protection is what dragged them down, hence leading the NFL in sacks given up. Monty is a nice all around guy but he lacks burst, and Herbert was undoubtedly a better rusher than he was last season. Monty can catch out of the backfield tho and is good in pass pro. I don’t think the OL held him back, his lack of burst does. Dude can break tackles with the best of them though and that’s where he makes up for lack of top end burst/speed. Personally I think he’s a solid back, I think the Bears won’t miss a beat with Foreman replacing him at less cost though, he’s also arguably a better pure rusher

To be fair wouldn't that rating be due to Fields completely breaking plays and getting insane yards?

also

Hope this is the case. Regardless I hope we take a WR somewhere in the draft. If we can get a 4th round pick there are a few 6'2 to 6'3 guys who would give us some size on the outside. Sign Chark to another one year deal, draft someone like Xavier Hutchinson or Jonathan Mingo, and be ready for one of them to take over for him in 2024.

You can really see how Holmes is building for the present and future at the same time. Couple years from now you can see how guys like Buggs, Anzalone, Cominsky etc will be replaced by the younger guys.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To be fair wouldn't that rating be due to Fields completely breaking plays and getting insane yards?

also

Hope this is the case. Regardless I hope we take a WR somewhere in the draft. If we can get a 4th round pick there are a few 6'2 to 6'3 guys who would give us some size on the outside. Sign Chark to another one year deal, draft someone like Xavier Hutchinson or Jonathan Mingo, and be ready for one of them to take over for him in 2024.

You can really see how Holmes is building for the present and future at the same time. Couple years from now you can see how guys like Buggs, Anzalone, Cominsky etc will be replaced by the younger guys.

I was careful not to note that the Bears led the league in rushing yards and yards per attempt since Fields and his wild rushing stats from the QB position could skew that

Just based on run block rate, which is not associated with raw rushing numbers, but actual up front blocking, the Bears rated like a top 5-7 run blocking unit. I watched all the games, they moved bodies in the run game and we have a strong zone run block scheme that’s pretty effectively

Herbert was a more effective runner for us last season, but Monty is better catching the ball and in pass pro. They actually balanced each other well. This isn’t to say Monty is not good, he’s fine and the Lions offense is stacked all around, so he should produce (but I think any quality RB would on your roster)

Herbert averaged 5.7(!) yards per attempt behind the same line as Monty

Dem313wayz

Superstar
Daps
blade-icewood-boss-up-dance.gif

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Fixed the secondary completely. Both outside corners and now a slot DB/S who is also insurance in case Tracy Walker takes a bit longer to make it back healthy. Good depth too (Jacobs, Okudah, Will Harris) so injuries don't decimate us. And I'd expect a big year two jump from Kerby Joseph.

At this point the last spot is interior DL. Gotta come out the draft with someone who can stop the run and provide decent pass rush from inside. DEs are basically set, although if Will Anderson or Tyree Wilson fall to us I'd have no issue taking them.

Honestly at this point the only potential downfall could be the offense, and it's hard to see that happening with all the weapons Goff has. I'm excited man. If we don't win the NFC North I'm gonna be SICK.

Last edited:

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Holmes done turned the secondary into a strength especially if Moseley returns to form. Depth at every position. Doesn’t even matter if Okudah turns it around or not

Glaring holes left are backup QB, interior rusher, WR, and maybe linebacker

It has to be QB or Carter at 6. Carter has had terrible couple months but he’s the most talented player in draft at our biggest need position. And QB just makes sense long term. Lions have given out nothing but cap friendly deal’s besides the Anzalone contract. They will have crazy cap space next year to really go in. Jackson and Swift only possible big resignings