Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yup. I've seen people argue he's not playing a game this month so who cares but dog...wtf. Imagine you get embarrassed on a national level by an arrest warrant, while at the combine. You leave to clear your name. You start seeing yourself fall down mock boards, whispers arise etc. And then two weeks later, when you have a chance to re-solidify yourself as the top guy you respond to the doubters by..showing up overweight, out shape, and can't even complete the limited amount of drills you do. In front of reps from nearly every team. To me, saying "he can lose weight before September, who cares" misses the fukking point. It's CLEAR he didn't put an ounce of work into his body over the last two weeks. Even a half assed training regimen would prevent you from gaining 9 pounds in two weeks lol, just off pure calorie burning.

Who is taking the risk that this guy gets in shape before OTAs? The minute his signing bonus hits the bank account he's gonna be out wyling, it's super obvious. I definitely don't think he's a Campbell guy. Hell I no longer think Chicago drafts him. If you're Poles you prob go with one of the OTs available.
Like I said yesterday. He’ll have weight issues his entire career and nobody is drafting a 3-4 NT at 6. Maybe at 18 but I’d be cool with taking him off the draft board if I’m Holmes.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
The problem is, they aren't putting up stats after getting to the NFL either.

If he isn't in shape in college, plus he has questionable off the field habits, why would that change in the NFL? That doesn't like a guy Holmes and Campbell would want.
Said this on Monday. :yeshrug:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
If he was worth anything he wouldn’t be getting released.

Looking like Big Play Slay bout to hit the market again. Wonder if the Lions would look at bringing him back. I wonder if he’d even want to come back.
Completely different regime in charge now. I don't think he'd be opposed.

Wasn't he getting cooked in the postseason? I'd still take him back but not at a crazy number.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I hope they go offense with the 18th pick. With the trenches mostly set, I'm a believer in keeping young talent rotating through on cheap deals. Most offensive weapons are ready to contribute immediately.

I'd target Quentin Johnston (his measurables at the combine were nuts), Bijan or Njigba.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Jamaal Williams got 3 years and 12 million with the Saints.
David Montgomery got 3 years $18 million with the Lions.

The Lions must have took a hard look at dude and the chemistry he provided in the locker room and just said not worth paying. I get the guy they brought in is statistically better though.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI

The Lions must have took a hard look at dude and the chemistry he provided in the locker room and just said not worth paying. I get the guy they brought in is statistically better though.
RBs age like milk. Montgomery is 3 years younger. Williams could get the tough yards, he has no burst anymore. And Williams probably priced himself out of RB market and had to settle for less with NO

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Listening to the Detroit Lions Podcast right now and one of the insiders said the Lions offered Jamaal a deal, he thought he'd get more on the market, and by the time the Lions picked Montgomery it was game over for Jamaal. Didn't get the offers he thought he'd get.

@Regular_P Agreed on Quentin Johnson, and I'd have zero issue trading down from 6 to 11-13 and taking him. Plus the Lions met with him at the combine so at least there's some interest there. I don't think he'll be there at 18 btw.

Johnson and Jamo on the outside, St Brown in the slot, Montgomery in the backfield with the pass catching threat, James Mitchell at TE for check downs. That's a top 5-10 offense.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Sanders like Jamaal benefited from playing with elite Oline. We haven’t seen Montgomery with a good line yet. Cant say Sanders is better than anyone really
He's averaged 5 ypc for his career and he'd be coming to another elite o-line. Rather have the guy who has shown a high level of play versus a guy who's averaging 3.9 ypc for his career.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
He's averaged 5 ypc for his career and he'd be coming to another elite o-line. Rather have the guy who has shown a high level of play versus a guy who's averaging 3.9 ypc for his career.

But this is still comparing a guy who had an elite o-line to a guy who had a wack o-line (and stacked boxes since Fields can't throw). I see no reason not to believe that Montgomery will thrive in our system with a top ten line. If this was a case of a back with questionable vision and/or someone who couldn't break tackles I'd share your concerns, but that's not Montgomery.

Plus I think the other big factor was the way Jamaal's agent handled this. Based on what's being said, the Lions did not want to be left holding the bag and moved quickly before the market dried up. Dunno if we talked to Sanders or if Montgomery was the target all along. Either way I've come around on the move and like it.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

I'm guessing we either cut Vaitai, or Glasgow is insurance in case the back injury fukks up Vaitai again. Plus Glascow can play center.

Last edited:

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Wonder what holdup with Chark is? WR market has been set. NFL teams made it s priority to bring the WR price back down

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Wonder what holdup with Chark is? WR market has been set. NFL teams made it s priority to bring the WR price back down
Dude only played 11 games and had 500 yards. I don't know what he's expecting. It isn't like he has a track record of monster production.