Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I'd still be against it because of the Lamar factor. I don't think anyone's gonna give up two firsts right now for Lamar plus give him a massive extension. To me, the play is see how Goof does this year with a loaded team.

If he's clearly the reason they don't make a run, I think the Lamar option is gonna be on the table again next year whether an outright signing or making a trade. They'll be in position to only be giving up 20s picks instead of two meal tickets like they have right now.

To be clear, they still need a viable backup QB.

I want Will Anderson with that 6th pick. If he's not there, I'd be happy moving down. Don't want any part of Jalen Carter.

With 18 and the second, I'd go offense. One of the WRs, preferably Jackson is still there, or Bijan with 18 and a RB with the second if Bijan wasn't there. I prefer a WR at 18 and Charbonnet in the second. Montgomery might be solid, but they still could really use a gamebreaker in the backfield. There's no way they can go into next season with Swift penciled in for a major role.
Given the amount of money the team has to pay out to guys like Penei/St Brown/etc in a few years I can't see Lamar making sense. Lions are scheduled to have a lot of cap space in 2024 and 2025 so technically we could afford Lamar, I just don't think it's smart. I'd rather pay Goff 40-43mil vs the 50mil+ it'll take for Lamar.

Draft wise if Anderson and Carter are gone and someone like Stroud/Bryce/AR fall to us at 6...wouldn't bother me at all. Pre free agency my thinking was you trade down to 8-11 and take the best CB available if Anderson/Carter are gone. Now CB doesn't make sense that high. And Carter may not make sense either depending on what the org thinks about his character/work ethic. Free agency has completely changed my mind on a QB. We can truly sit back and go BPA.

You'd still go RB within the first couple rounds despite Montgomery? I'm a big Charbonnet fan but I think they take an RB later in the draft. I also have a feeling they're gonna try to trade up to get Hendon Hooker in the second round, if we don't get a QB in the first round.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
They got like +20 million left with Okwara new deal. Why not see what Arizona wants for Hopkins? Couple years left on his contract. Still a better WR than Chark

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
I think 6 is going to be D line .

Idk shyt about Tyree Wilson but everyone seems to be infatuated with him and I’d still be happy as hell with Jalen Carter .

TE/WR are both sneaky needs .

Probably alone out there but I’d LOVE Kincaid from Utah . Dude looked nice with it every time I watched those weird ass 11 pm PAC-12 games,but I get why ppl wouldn’t want to do that

Spending a 1st on a WR 3 is overkill imo

They have Jameson at full-go too.

Draft is too deep at WR to spend a top pick on one when you have glaring needs elsewhere.

Lions are going to the playoffs. I respect Flores too much to say they'll take the North over the Vikings, but the Lions are going to be hell going forward.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Given the amount of money the team has to pay out to guys like Penei/St Brown/etc in a few years I can't see Lamar making sense. Lions are scheduled to have a lot of cap space in 2024 and 2025 so technically we could afford Lamar, I just don't think it's smart. I'd rather pay Goff 40-43mil vs the 50mil+ it'll take for Lamar.

Draft wise if Anderson and Carter are gone and someone like Stroud/Bryce/AR fall to us at 6...wouldn't bother me at all. Pre free agency my thinking was you trade down to 8-11 and take the best CB available if Anderson/Carter are gone. Now CB doesn't make sense that high. And Carter may not make sense either depending on what the org thinks about his character/work ethic. Free agency has completely changed my mind on a QB. We can truly sit back and go BPA.

You'd still go RB within the first couple rounds despite Montgomery? I'm a big Charbonnet fan but I think they take an RB later in the draft. I also have a feeling they're gonna try to trade up to get Hendon Hooker in the second round, if we don't get a QB in the first round.
Charbonnet's gonna be a second round pick. That means he'll be making between what, $1-2 million per? $7-8 million between him and Montgomery, with Swift expiring after the season. Montgomery can be cut after 2024 for pretty cheap too.

As far as Lamar, they currently have $83 million in cap space in 2024. That's before they make a decision on Goff, who would save an additional $27 million by getting cut. I'm just saying Holmes has left the door open for that to be an option next year.

I mean, look at this shyt: Detroit Lions Salary Cap | Over the Cap

Holmes has the team ready to be a contender THIS season AND going forward. It's fukking unbelievable the Lions have this guy running the show! He should have a lifetime contract. :mindblown:

If Goof has a meltdown in the playoffs and shows once and for all that he isn't capable of getting this team over the hump, there is a former MVP they could make a run at while still having a bunch of talent in place AND being able to sign more.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
The Swift disrespect from lions fans getting out of control. When healthy Swift a top 10 back. It’s his contract year. RB window to make money is so short. Similar dynamic backs like Barkley Kamara just as injury prone as Swift. Definitely expecting a crazy year from Swift

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
The Swift disrespect from lions fans getting out of control. When healthy Swift a top 10 back. It’s his contract year. RB window to make money is so short. Similar dynamic backs like Barkley Kamara just as injury prone as Swift. Definitely expecting a crazy year from Swift
Nobody doubts his talent. Through three years, he hasn't been able to hold up to even a moderate workload. He has exactly one game in his career where he carried the ball more than 15. One!

Every time he gets 10-15 carries in a game 1-3 weeks in a row at most, his body falls apart. The guy can't stay healthy. It is what it is. :yeshrug:

This is like saying Jahvid Best is a beast, why doesn't anyone believe in him?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

I like Swift, I just don't trust him to stay healthy. When he's on the field and running up field, the team is better. No question. But oftentimes he's dancing or avoiding hits and it hurts us. I'd imagine he will get 8-10 touches with Montgomery getting 15+. And he's gone after this year.

Lot of guys in the draft who we can get in the 3rd-6th round who are good. Assuming we pass on Charbonnet in the second round I like Tank Bigspy and Tyjae Spears a lot. Roshon Johnson, who was Bijan's backup at Texas, is dope too.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Kipers mock:

6. Detroit Lions (via LAR) Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

- Advertisement -
Detroit added veteran corners Cameron Sutton and Emmanuel Moseley and versatile defensive back C.J. Gardner-Johnson in free agency, which likely signals it's going to pass on the top corners with this pick. But did you watch this defense last season? It ranked bottom of the league in most statistical categories, including yards per play allowed (6.2). The Lions have to keep trying to fix it.

The easiest way to do that? Take Carter, who has had a troubled few months. Last week, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and racing for his alleged role in a Jan. 15 car wreck that killed Georgia offensive lineman Devin Willock and recruiting staffer Chandler LeCroy. He also showed up at his pro day nine pounds heavier than he was at the NFL combine, and he was unable to finish the position drills. He's no longer in the mix to be the No. 1 overall pick. Everything I've heard from people in the league, however, is he won't drop too far — he likely still will be a top-10 selection. Carter's talent is undeniable, and I could see a team such as the Lions taking him here, filling a position of need.

Detroit, which also owns the No. 18 overall selection, drafted Aidan Hutchinson at No. 2 overall last year and got 9.5 sacks out of him. Carter would be a nice complement to Hutchinson's skill set.

18. Detroit Lions Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

I got the Lions help along the defensive line at No. 6, and I wouldn't be surprised if they double-dipped here with another pick on defense. That unit was that bad last season. Instead, let's pivot to the other side of the ball. They traded away T.J. Hockenson last fall and used a committee approach to the tight end position, with Brock Wright, James Mitchell and Shane Zylstra each catching at least 11 passes. All three are under contract for 2023, but shouldn't Detroit try to upgrade?

Mayer is the most complete tight end in this class. He's physical as a run-blocker, and he can run seam routes and get open for quarterback Jared Goff. He caught 67 passes for 809 yards and nine touchdowns last season and had 180 catches in his college career. He could be the lead guy in Detroit.

Wouldn’t hate it. Know the Pettigrew, Ebro , Hock were failed picks. But ok with Mayer. Complete TE that can really block. Mayer and Mitchell would be nice combo

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Kipers mock:

6. Detroit Lions (via LAR) Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

- Advertisement -
Detroit added veteran corners Cameron Sutton and Emmanuel Moseley and versatile defensive back C.J. Gardner-Johnson in free agency, which likely signals it's going to pass on the top corners with this pick. But did you watch this defense last season? It ranked bottom of the league in most statistical categories, including yards per play allowed (6.2). The Lions have to keep trying to fix it.

The easiest way to do that? Take Carter, who has had a troubled few months. Last week, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor charges of reckless driving and racing for his alleged role in a Jan. 15 car wreck that killed Georgia offensive lineman Devin Willock and recruiting staffer Chandler LeCroy. He also showed up at his pro day nine pounds heavier than he was at the NFL combine, and he was unable to finish the position drills. He's no longer in the mix to be the No. 1 overall pick. Everything I've heard from people in the league, however, is he won't drop too far — he likely still will be a top-10 selection. Carter's talent is undeniable, and I could see a team such as the Lions taking him here, filling a position of need.

Detroit, which also owns the No. 18 overall selection, drafted Aidan Hutchinson at No. 2 overall last year and got 9.5 sacks out of him. Carter would be a nice complement to Hutchinson's skill set.

18. Detroit Lions Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame

I got the Lions help along the defensive line at No. 6, and I wouldn't be surprised if they double-dipped here with another pick on defense. That unit was that bad last season. Instead, let's pivot to the other side of the ball. They traded away T.J. Hockenson last fall and used a committee approach to the tight end position, with Brock Wright, James Mitchell and Shane Zylstra each catching at least 11 passes. All three are under contract for 2023, but shouldn't Detroit try to upgrade?

Mayer is the most complete tight end in this class. He's physical as a run-blocker, and he can run seam routes and get open for quarterback Jared Goff. He caught 67 passes for 809 yards and nine touchdowns last season and had 180 catches in his college career. He could be the lead guy in Detroit.

Wouldn’t hate it. Know the Pettigrew, Ebro , Hock were failed picks. But ok with Mayer. Complete TE that can really block. Mayer and Mitchell would be nice combo
If Holmes/Campbell feel good about Carter I'll trust their process and be fine with it too. He's perfect for the team on the field, and could anchor a top 10 defense for us. On the flip side this is also the type of pick that gets GMs fired. If he stacks up some DUIs and speeding charges in Detroit a lot of people will be saying I told you so.

Can't cosign a TE in the first round, there's too much depth in the draft at that position. There are guys in the 2nd-6th round who would fit what we do too. One guy I'm intrigued by is this 6'8 TE who will likely be a 5th or 6th rounder...

He could be unstoppable in our offense, with Jameson taking safeties down field and St Brown keeping LBs busy.

In terms of the #18 pick I'd go WR or CB, depending on who is there. If Quentin Johnson is there (and we lose DJ Chark) why not take him? Or the guy from USC. And CB wise if someone falls like Joey Porter or Devon Witherspoon it would make sense despite FA. Only Sutton is on a deal that has more than 1 year on it. Drafting a CB to develop in case we lose some guys in the coming years makes sense.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I don’t think carter gets past 5. He’s perfect for Seattle.

I think we’re in a great position to trade back. A qb needy team will want the one that remains.

MercuryHayes

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stationed in Antarctica, Coldest Niggga Alive
If Holmes/Campbell feel good about Carter I'll trust their process and be fine with it too. He's perfect for the team on the field, and could anchor a top 10 defense for us. On the flip side this is also the type of pick that gets GMs fired. If he stacks up some DUIs and speeding charges in Detroit a lot of people will be saying I told you so.

Carter is the type of situation where a good FO drafts him, does well and the shaky FO's fans wonder why the gm didn't take him and question the gm. Lions have everything in place to make drafting carter make as much sense as it did 4 months ago and at this point I trust DC and Brad to know if Carter makes sense for them.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC