Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Okudah looks great in that vid and regardless of skill you can tell he's in immaculate shape. Man...if he's healthy and comes close to his potential, you suddenly elevate the secondary while also having what we assume to be a disruptive d-line. Mix that with an explosive offense and you've got a team that could make some noise at some point.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
looking like they got the Lions at the right time to be featured on hard knocks

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Jeff Okudah cleared for Lions training camp; second-rounder Josh Paschal out with sports hernia​

ALLEN PARK -- Jeff Okudah has done it.

The former Detroit Lions first-round pick vowed to do everything within his power to return in time for training camp. On Wednesday, he was officially cleared to join the team for Day 1 of training camp in Allen Park.

That’s no small feat, either. Okudah blew out his Achilles in last year’s opener, which is one of the most devastating injuries in the game. Many players eventually return to form, but not all, and it takes time. But just 10-plus months after suffering the injury, Okudah is back and ready to roll.

“He’s good to go,” head coach Dan Campbell said before walking onto the field on Wednesday morning. “Listen, tell you what, he’s committed. He’s in a good place right now. We’re going to give him some reps out there today. I just think, man, if he looks good today, he’ll get more tomorrow. And if he looks good then, Day 3 he’ll get (more). We’re not putting any restrictions on him. He’s been good.

“As a matter of fact, we brought him in early just because of the injury. He was with the rookies on the report date. You get the injured vets, the rookies, the quarterbacks come in three days early. I don’t require those guys to be in football meetings or anything of that nature. He wanted to be around. That’s a good sign. He wants as much knowledge as he can get. As much help as he can get. He’s committed. He’s good to go. Look, he knows (the expectations). No one wants it more than he does. I mean, he’s put in the work. He’s healthy, and I think at this point, all you can do now is go to work and show what you’ve got.”

Okudah’s return is big for him as he tries to get his once-promising career back on track. He was selected third overall in the 2020 draft, matching the NFL record for highest draft pick ever spent on a cornerback, but he’s played in just 10 games in the two years since and has been bad when he has managed to be on the field. He ranked among the 10 worst cornerbacks in the league as a rookie, according to a ProFootballFocus.

Of course, a lot of players looked bad under Matt Patricia, and that was especially true on defense. Okudah later acknowledged he had never dealt with that level of “dysfunction” in his career. And once the new staff was hired last year, Okudah was among the first players to meet with them in Allen Park, as they designed a long-term plan to get the prized cornerback back on track.

Okudah made serious strides last offseason too, looking far better and more consistent -- and more confident -- than at any point in his rookie season. Hopes began to build. Then the San Francisco 49ers came to town for the season opener, Okudah blew an assignment on two long touchdowns, then ruptured the Achilles, not only ending his 2021 season, but casting doubt on his future in Detroit.

Not even a year later, he’s back, and he’ll have maximum time on the practice field to regain his stride heading into the 2022 season. That’s big for him, along with the depth of a cornerback corps that could use the help.

The news isn’t so good in the pass rush. Romeo Okwara blew out his Achilles three weeks after Okudah, but remains a ways away from being cleared to return to the practice field.

“Romeo’s doing well, but as you guys know with Achilles, everybody heals differently and at different rates,” Campbell said. “He’s progressing, he’s on that trajectory, it’s just not as steep. But he’s doing well.”

Meanwhile, second-round pick Josh Paschal continues to be sidelined by a sports hernia injury. He participated in rookie training camp, but was held out of workouts available to the media throughout OTAs and minicamp. He won’t be available for the start of training camp either, further delaying his development.

“He’s doing well, but it’ll be a little bit,” Campbell said. “But he’s doing good. He’s progressing.”

The Lions also announced fullback Jason Cabinda has been placed on the physically unable to perform list, while special teams ace C.J. Moore is going on the non-football injury list and offensive tackle Dan Skipper is going on the non-football illness.
-------

Gotta give Okudah a lot of props for getting back so soon. Hope everything is good going forward. If he can stay healthy I truly think he will be a solid starter.

Paschal has had multiple injuries since getting here...dunno man. I like the pick even though it was such an abrupt doubling down on the d-line after the Hutchinson pick. But my god, we need a second round pick who actually contributes something year one. It almost never happens in Detroit...

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
How yall feeling having expectations for once? :lupe:

Dunno. I'm not really expecting anything beyond being competitive. If we end up winning 5-6 games and being terrible will I be mad? No. Another high draft pick, lots of cap money...the rebuild continues. And I hope fans give these guys the leeway to do this because we've tried to speed through rebuilds before and it didn't work.

Now...if I had to bet? I think they win more than 5-6 games just based off the bad teams on the schedule. I could def see 8-10 wins. Even the opening game against Philly...I got that as a L in my mind but can certainly imagine this defense destroying Jalen Hurts. Then the bad teams we playing like the Jags, Giants, BEARS twice, etc? I see some wins for sure.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Dunno. I'm not really expecting anything beyond being competitive. If we end up winning 5-6 games and being terrible will I be mad? No. Another high draft pick, lots of cap money...the rebuild continues. And I hope fans give these guys the leeway to do this because we've tried to speed through rebuilds before and it didn't work.

Now...if I had to bet? I think they win more than 5-6 games just based off the bad teams on the schedule. I could def see 8-10 wins. Even the opening game against Philly...I got that as a L in my mind but can certainly imagine this defense destroying Jalen Hurts. Then the bad teams we playing like the Jags, Giants, BEARS twice, etc? I see some wins for sure.

I was with you until the bolded :birdman:
Almost hit you with the neg shotty

Methodical

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Does anybody watch Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Detroit Lions? Cause it premier today on HBO Max

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Offense looked ready. Goff with allday to throw will a problem this year. If Oline stays healthy they’ll be in contention for best in NFL.

Hutch active as hell. Already seeing double teams. They definitely gonna need Okwara bros to show up though. Don’t trust Harris as everydown player

Linebacker will issue all year. Biggest weakness by far on roster