Official 2023-2024 Detroit Lions Thread.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Barring injury there should be no reason this offense shouldn't be ranked top 15
Agreed. If Goff balls out he’s gonna get a contract, like it or not. I think Holmes truly believes he can win with Goff, but has also brilliantly built himself an escape hatch. If he sucks next year we could have another top ten pick, plus the Rams pick (I'm gonna assume they don't repeat as SB champs so it'll be higher than 32). At that point you go get your QB and bring him into an offense that has a great o-line, good run game, and some great WR talent. Great plan.

Man I wish we had a FO this competent during Stafford's early years. Those Dom Raola years of ignoring or screwing up the o-line. Historically bad defenses. Even looking back at that 2014 team...the defense didn't have much depth outside of the d-line, and the offense had some holes. So to be in this position now where we're stacking d-lineman, stacking DBs, finding RBs off the street who can ball...it's just a good feeling.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Holmes just took James Houston from Jackson state. Never seen him play but had 16.5 sacks at an hbcu. Glad to see him giving players at hbcu’s a chance. Holmes is such a likable person. Sheila didn’t miss there.

edit

he played at Florida before getting in trouble. All his highlights are from a stand up position. He’s probably gonna be an athletic situational lb for us.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
They basically did what we wanted. Loaded up on defense, got an elite weapon for the offense, and another TE to start alongside Hock eventually. I'm excited about this draft and can't wait to see all these d-lineman competing on Hard Knocks.

For reference, last season's August 53 man roster had 7 DTs and 5 DEs. It's gonna be super interesting to see what the starting front looks like. I don't expect to win many games this year but the season after that...we gotta have one of the best pass rushing defenses in the league.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
NFC North is easily the worst division in NFL.

Bears have done little to protect and help Fields. Mack is gone

GB lost Adams and haven’t really replaced him. Rodgers another year older

Vikings gifted Lions and Packers new WRs for no reason. They are continuing the Cousins treadmill. And are about to have to pay Jefferson 30 mill a year

Could easily see Lions finishing second in division with GB demise in sight from eventual salary cap hell. Teams like Atl, Sea, Hou, Jax, NYJ are all worse than lions

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
shyt don't mean nothing till they hit the field. But Holmes hasn't given me any reason to doubt him yet:yeshrug:
What a stark difference between now and the Quinn era where each draft had multiple weird, unathletic picks that were obvious misses. I thought last year the draft was really good and think it’s great this year. Nearly every pick contributed in some form on the field last year. Even the 7th round RB looked good in spots to the point we didn’t even draft an RB this year.

Love how we’re also putting the secondary in position to get experience behind a disruptive d-line. If Okudah can come back and be solid we’re gonna really be set. And if he’s not good? Lots of dudes ready to take that spot and play well. I’m not giving up on him though. It’s obvious him and the rest of the team had to deal with a historically bad/unprepared coaching staff under Patricia. Now they got an amazing staff with lots of opportunity. No more bringing mediocre discount FAs in to take snaps from young guys.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
What a stark difference between now and the Quinn era where each draft had multiple weird, unathletic picks that were obvious misses. I thought last year the draft was really good and think it’s great this year. Nearly every pick contributed in some form on the field last year. Even the 7th round RB looked good in spots to the point we didn’t even draft an RB this year.

Love how we’re also putting the secondary in position to get experience behind a disruptive d-line. If Okudah can come back and be solid we’re gonna really be set. And if he’s not good? Lots of dudes ready to take that spot and play well. I’m not giving up on him though. It’s obvious him and the rest of the team had to deal with a historically bad/unprepared coaching staff under Patricia. Now they got an amazing staff with lots of opportunity. No more bringing mediocre discount FAs in to take snaps from young guys.
Yeah, it felt weird to feel so honestly optimistic. It's the same way I feel with the Pistons. I don't know what the Wings and Tigers are doing, both both of the former franchises arm to be headed in the right direction, with a real plan and leadership that understands what's needed. I love it.

And regarding Okudah, I come in with absolutely no expectations, so any positive contribution from him his absolutely gravy. 5-8 wins with positive growth from the youth is my realistic want and expectation.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI

Biggest question mark on roster other than Goff

Bad luck for him more than anything. Terrible coaching rookie year and then achillies immediately at start of last season.

Was once a can’t miss prospect