Oculus Rift Official Thread (preorders start 1/6/16 $599 Expected to Ship in March)

Daps
I just got my shipping confirmation. :blessed:

Oculus gave me free next day shipping for fukking up the launch so bad. It's flooding here in Houston still, but with any luck, I'll have my Rift tomorrow (or the next day at worst) :lupe:

You gonna be looking like this tomorrow

luckeyinspace.0.png

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
i dl'd it and ran it.
it says that the headset is not detected and wont run.
You ran the wrong program. You don't need a headset to run the benchmark. Go to the steamVR test page and run it from there. It should say "launch." I think you'll be fine with your CPU and GPU, but it never hurts to make sure.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
You ran the wrong program. You don't need a headset to run the benchmark. Go to the steamVR test page and run it from there. It should say "launch." I think you'll be fine with your CPU and GPU, but it never hurts to make sure.

i ran the test and never went below 110 fps.
i was in the 115-120 range most of the time.

my rig is VR ready but i'm not gonna be jumping on that wave any time soon.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
does the steamvr require usb 3.0 and if it does, how many?
i have 2 usb 3.0's on my rig.
can i get a 3.0 splitter and add extra ports that way or would splitting it reduce it's power?

at some point i will jump on the VR wave but i think i'm gonna sit back for the first gen.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
does the steamvr require usb 3.0 and if it does, how many?
i have 2 usb 3.0's on my rig.
can i get a 3.0 splitter and add extra ports that way or would splitting it reduce it's power?

at some point i will jump on the VR wave but i think i'm gonna sit back for the first gen.
The Vive only requires 1 USB 3.0 port. The rift requires 3. You can't use a splitter on the Rift

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
The Vive only requires 1 USB 3.0 port. The rift requires 3. You can't use a splitter on the Rift

i'm certain that this tech will become wireless sooner than later.
one of the reasons that i'm not jumping on the first gen of VR is because i believe that the 2nd gen will come rather quickly...and it will be wireless.

i'm gonna go out on a ledge and say that gen 2 is 2 years away.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
i'm certain that this tech will become wireless sooner than later.
one of the reasons that i'm not jumping on the first gen of VR is because i believe that the 2nd gen will come rather quickly...and it will be wireless.

i'm gonna go out on a ledge and say that gen 2 is 2 years away.
Wireless is iffy. The battery life on those headsets would be terrible (they're very powerful). Right now they're powered by usb. I can't imagine how big of a battery they'd need or how terrible the battery life would be if these things were wireless