OCTOPATH TRAVELER (PC, Xbox One, Switch)

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
Was hoping this was coming to ps4 when I saw it upped :deadmanny:

I loved it on switch. Put in like 60 hours but never finished it. Would start it again on PlayStation.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
This really good brehs? Dl-ing the demo now.

I feel like it depends on the type of JRPG's you are into IMO. What I loved about this game were the characters (well most of them), the combat (especially the bosses), and the music. But I think the big issue with this game is how none of the stories of the characters are connected and some chapters of some characters can be a snooze fest IMO.

Like many other JRPG's it does have a slow start especially if you pick a character whose Chapter 1 is drawn out (*Looks at Ophelia). But IMO when you started getting more jobs available for your characters the game's combat gets even better. I never played Bravely Default, but I heard if you enjoyed that game this game is definitely for you.

It is a great game IMO and if you enjoy the demo I would strongly recommend it. I feel the game gets underrated because of all the other big-name JRPG's that are on the Switch and the fact it isn't in 3d. But IMO that is where this game gets it charm.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I feel like it depends on the type of JRPG's you are into IMO. What I loved about this game were the characters (well most of them), the combat (especially the bosses), and the music. But I think the big issue with this game is how none of the stories of the characters are connected and some chapters of some characters can be a snooze fest IMO.

Like many other JRPG's it does have a slow start especially if you pick a character whose Chapter 1 is drawn out (*Looks at Ophelia). But IMO when you started getting more jobs available for your characters the game's combat gets even better. I never played Bravely Default, but I heard if you enjoyed that game this game is definitely for you.

It is a great game IMO and if you enjoy the demo I would strongly recommend it. I feel the game gets underrated because of all the other big-name JRPG's that are on the Switch and the fact it isn't in 3d. But IMO that is where this game gets it charm.

I dl-ed the demo last night and played some this morning. It does seem pretty cool, but I have two complaints about it already.

While I'm fine with turn-based (even preferred when I'm working like I was this morning), my number one complaint already is random encounters. I think this should just be abolished from rpgs of any sort from here on out. It's an archaic design choice that I'm sure was moreso in place in the past due to lack in tech to do any better. Nowadays, there's absolutely no reason for it to be there.

Second complaint was the lack of option to have dialogue (or monologues) auto-progress. Having to actively press the command key to move along eons of text/vocals of convo every few minutes is extremely tedious. In games where you only have to click thru text to learn a quick tutorial or activate something everyone once in a blue moon then it's fine, but in RPGs where you know there's going to be millions of lines of text and vocals, should have auto-progression as an option. Seems only Persona does it a far as standard rpgs these days, where it always gives you the option to turn it on or off.

Last edited:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I dl-ed the demo last night and played some this morning. It does seem pretty cool, but have two complaints about it already.

While I'm fine with turn-based (even preferred when I'm working like I was this morning), my number one complain already is random encounters. I think this should just be abolished from rpgs of any sort from here on out. It's an archaic design choice that I'm sure was moreso in place in the past due to lack in tech to do any better. Nowadays, there's absolutely no reason for it to be there.

Second complaint was the lack of option to have dialogue (or monologues) auto-progress. Having to actively press the command key to move along eons of text/vocals of convo every few minutes is extremely tedious. In games where you only have to click thru text to learn a quick tutorial or activate something everyone once in a blue moon then it's fine, but in RPGs where you know there's going to be millions of lines of text and vocals, should have auto-progression as an option. Seems only Persona does it a far as standard rpgs these days, where it always gives you the option to turn it on or off.

I don't mind the battles for the most part because the battle system in this game is kinda deep, amd it's fun to me. The dialogue does slow the game down a little bit, but I still read books so reading in a game is kinda like killing two birds with one stone for me.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I don't mind the battles for the most part because the battle system in this game is kinda deep, amd it's fun to me. The dialogue does slow the game down a little bit, but I still read books so reading in a game is kinda like killing two birds with one stone for me.

I get you, but I'm not saying that I mind the battles, it's just I cannot fathom any reason why it's necessary to be random encounters. I get not all games have the resources to have the "battlefield" and world map be one and the same at all times, but there's definitely better ways around having the encounters always be random and much earlier gen consoles already paved the way with Chrono Trigger and others like it. Just have the enemies be actively visible on the screen and have them either have to be touched or they touch you in order to initiate the battlefield. Once again, Persona does this perfectly, lol.

I like reading in my games too, just that I don't want to have to click the button every 5 seconds once I'm done reading someone's dialogue field when there's 85 more fields of dialogue incoming. At least this one does make sense at times, but as stated, I'm all for options, so the option to have auto-scroll/progress for that should be there. This seems even more impractical and off-paced when the dialogue is actually being vocalized.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I get you, but I'm not saying that I mind the battles, it's just I cannot fathom any reason why it's necessary to be random encounters. I get not all games have the resources to have the "battlefield" and world map be one and the same at all times, but there's definitely better ways around having the encounters always be random and much earlier gen consoles already paved the way with Chrono Trigger and others like it. Just have the enemies be actively visible on the screen and have them either have to be touched or they touch you in order to initiate the battlefield. Once again, Persona does this perfectly, lol.

I like reading in my games too, just that I don't want to have to click the button every 5 seconds once I'm done reading someone's dialogue field when there's 85 more fields of dialogue incoming. At least this one does make sense at times, but as stated, I'm all for options, so the option to have auto-scroll/progress for that should be there. This seems even more impractical and off-paced when the dialogue is actually being vocalized.

I feel you, just don't want you to miss out on it this is a great game, probably a top 5 Switch game honestly but it is a niche title, it's for fans of the old school style.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I feel you, just don't want you to miss out on it this is a great game, probably a top 5 Switch game honestly but it is a niche title, it's for fans of the old school style.

Oh I actually plan on picking it up soon. However, Ionno if I really want to pay full price for it. Seems like 30 bucks would be adequate for the game.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Yeah the price refuses to drop, I’ll
Cop it at $34 or lower.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
IMO this game is worth $50 from gamestop pre owned. If you play this all the way through and do everything you easily gonna get 100 hours out of this.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
This is a Switch exclusive, Nintendo never drops the prices on they shyt. Good luck. :pachaha:

I mean technically its also on Steam but it was just released on their last year and their anniversary already past so I doubt they drop the price on Steam. Even though Square isn't as stingy as Nintendo I don't think they are the type to put their games on sale unless they don't sell well. And Octopath did very well when it launched.