Not everything that glitters is GOLD: The Official 49ers 2013 Season Thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Anybody headed to any games this year? Me and @bigmanharris are headed to the Texans game on 10/4. Lookin for Tailgates and spots to go while in The City.
I might go with some peeps to that game, if work permits. Ill hit yall up if Im goin

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
in news, we worked out Laurent Robinson. patton, aj, kyle, lockette all with minor injuries right now :wow:

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
we need the bodies but didn't he have like 4 concussions last year? :mindblown:

what's the deal with us working out these injury prone WRs?

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-slight-fracture-in-hand-for-patrick-willis/

The good news for the 49ers is that, per a league source, 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis feels fine after injuring his right hand during practice on Wednesday. The bad news is that Willis nevertheless may have a “slight fracture” in his hand.

Willis will have an X-ray on Thursday, a development first reported by Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com.

As Maiocco explains, Willis has suffered two fractures in his hand during his NFL career.

Linebacker NaVorro Bowman also missed a portion of Wednesday’s practice after sustaining a groin strain on Tuesday.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. He's played with the club hand before and was effective...I don't see why he wouldn't be able to play with it now. Plus, it's early so he has weeks to heal.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-vernon-davis-has-taken-it-up-to-a-new-level/

When the 49ers are at full strength offensively, tight end Vernon Davis is an important part of their success.

With serious questions at wide receiver thanks to injuries keeping Michael Crabtree, Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams off the field and the continued struggles of 2012 first-round pick A.J. Jenkins, Davis is even more important. The team recognizes that, as evidenced by the variety of ways they are exploring to use Davis this season. Offensive coordinator Greg Roman likes what he’s seen.

“He’s really taken it up to a new level,” Roman said of Davis, via the team.

While one must always take such reports from training camp practices with a grain of salt, Davis’ track record says that it probably isn’t too much of a stretch to believe that he’s been impressive. Matthew Barrows of the Sacramento Bee calls Davis “by far the most consistent deep threat” on the 49ers offense this season, which could be seen as both a compliment of Davis and an indictment of the healthy receivers who aren’t Anquan Boldin.

If Davis is able to make that carry over into games, the answer to that question won’t matter all that much.

Right now, it looks like the offense is gonna be Vernon and Boldin. Reports are that Chad Hall has looked good as the slot receiver and Kap is having confidence in him. Reports are that Hall is finding that niche slot roll like Amendola/Welker.

SANTA CLARA – Chad Hall is winning the war of attrition at the 49ers' wide receiver position. And it's not entirely because of luck.

"It's something I prepare for," the diminutive but elusive Hall said Wednesday. "I do a lot of injury-prevention stuff on my own in the weight room. That's the biggest thing about this game – if you're not healthy and on (the practice field), how are you going to impress coaches, how are you going to help this team?"

That's an issue for some of the squad's other wideouts.

Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins and Kassim Osgoodmissed Wednesday's practice with various pulls and strains. Another player competing at the position, rookie Quinton Patton, has been unable to catch passes because of a broken finger. Two others, Michael Crabtree and Mario Manningham, are on the physically unable to perform list.

With the numbers thinning at wide receiver, the team today will work out a free agent, Laurent Robinson, according to a league source who was unauthorized to speak publicly on the matter.

The 49ers had shown interest in Robinson, 28, when he was a free agent last offseason, but he instead signed a lucrative long-term deal with the Jaguars. Jacksonville released him in March after he suffered multiple concussions last season.

Robinson's best season came in 2011 when he caught 54 passes for 858 yards and 11 touchdowns for Dallas. The 49ers already have worked out another receiver with a concussion history, Austin Collie, who remains unsigned.

The injuries at the position have given Hall plenty of opportunities both as a slot receiver – where he is most comfortable and most dangerous – and more recently as an outside receiver. Despite his 5-foot-8 frame, Hall has more receptions in 11-on-11 and team drills than any other wideout aside from starter Anquan Boldin during the first six practices of training camp.

Asked what he likes about Hall, quarterback Colin Kaepernick initially had a three-word response: "He gets open."

Kaepernick then elaborated: "He's quick, he's shifty, he knows how to read defenses and he finds the soft spot. … He's someone that's easy to throw to. Most of the time, he's open, and it's by quite a bit. As a quarterback, that's something you love."

Hall is from the Atlanta area, and he was one of the receivers who worked out with Kaepernick there after the 49ers' season ended. Ricardo Lockette, who also is from Georgia, was part of that group, while Jenkins spent part of the offseason there as well.

Hall said his chemistry with Kaepernick improved, and he also was impressed by the quarterback's work ethic. Hall, who graduated from the Air Force Academy, said he was well conditioned fortraining camp because of the time spent with Kaepernick, and because he spent the run-up totraining camp doing two-a-day training sessions on his own.

"I think that's the most important part of the year, kind of – the (approach) to training camp," Hall said. "I take advantage of it. I don't sit back and relax. I kind of attack it."

Hall said he'd wake up at 6:30 each morning – "That's just the Air Force in me," he said. "I don't like getting up late." – and would be on the practice field by 8 a.m.

Part of his workouts included catching passes from NFL quarterbacks Charlie Whitehurst andMatthew Stafford. The latter has one of the strongest arms in the league, which also prepared Hall to handle fastballs from Kaepernick, who is Stafford's rival in terms of NFL arm strength.

Somehow, Hall managed to make it through the offseason with his fingers intact.

"Knock on wood," he said. "I'm still catching it clean right now."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/08/01/5614050/49ers-receiver-hall-taking-advantage.html#storylink=cpy

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archi...ld-49ers-plan-to-platoon-more-on-defense.html

Ray McDonald: 49ers plan to platoon more on defense

Ray McDonald today said the 49ers intend to do more rotating along the defensive line than they have in the previous two seasons when he's played as many as 91 percent of the team's defensive snaps. Attrition appeared to be an issue last year with the unit, which sagged in mid December through the playoffs.

"Yeah, that's the plan," the team's left defensive end said. "The younger guys are getting a lot more reps now. So we expect them to go in there and take a little load off of me and Justin (Smith). ... We do play a lot of snaps, so we've got to come out of there every once in a while."

The 49ers used draft picks on two defensive linemen, second rounder Tank Carradine and fifth rounder Quinton Dial. Both, however, have yet to practice with their new team. Carradine is recovering from ACL surgery; Dial had surgery to repair a torn ligament in his big toe.

Instead, the understudies along the defensive line have been Will Tukuafu at left defensive end and Demarcus Dobbs at right defensive end. Free-agent pickup Glenn Dorsey has been the second-string nose tackle behind Ian Williams. Five defensive linemen typically suit up for a game. Others at the position include Tony Jerod-Eddie, who was on the practice squad a year ago, and rookie Lawrence Okoye, who could land on the practice squad this season.

At outside linebacker, Ahmad Brooks played 92 percent of the 49ers' defensive snaps last year whileAldon Smith played 95 percent. Both dealt with shoulder injuries last year but have more reinforcements this year. Parys Haralson and Dan Skuta have been working with the second-string defense at outside linebacker while Cam Johnson and rookie Corey Lemonier have been sprinkled into the mix as well.

While Justin Smith, Aldon Smith and Brooks all sat out the spring with injuries, McDonald was healthy. He said he felt the same from the beginning of the season through the Super bowl, then only took a week off before he resumed his workout regimen. Still, he said he wouldn't mind more breathers this year.

"If there's not a drop off, then I'm all for it," he said. "That's what it's looking like now. They're all good players ..."

- Matt Barrows

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Offensive Line:

Centers:

Jonathan Goodwin - B-

Jonathan Goodwin is the weakest lineman on our starting line. That being said, he is an experienced, former pro bowler. He knows line calls as well as his birthday. He is no longer the mauler he was 5 or 6 years ago, but he will be our starter for one more year. He is still a capable run blocker but a so-so pass blocker. I have seen him have trouble with bigger D-Linemen. I think this will be his last year on the team, as a starter. I expect Kilgore to potentially take over as our starting center by the middle of the season, definitely by next year at the latest.

Sherman Carter - D

I think he will be a practice squad player. He has prototypical size, but at the NFL level, technique is king, and he must be severely raw in that department. Some scouting reports have him being seen is unathletic as well. Even so, under the teams training regimen he could be a good backup, and we could use that as our depth at the position is iffy at best.

Guards:

Mike Iupati - A

Mike Iupati came in the league as a near elite level talent. He is one of the best, if not the best guard in the NFL. He is a vicious run blocker and an athletic pass blocker. He is a pro bowl talent and will be that for the next decade. He has a mental lapse here and there on some plays but no one is perfect. Either way we struck gold on this guy and we will have him here for a long time.

Alex Boone - A-

Kicking this guy in at guard had me a bit nervous, I wasn't sure a 6'7 guy could play the position. But with Mike Solari's coaching the dude is growing to be a monster. Worse yet for opposing defenses he added muscle this offseason, making him 6'7 330lbs. He can run and pass block extremely well taking pressure off Anthony Davis and allowing him to develop, furthermore should Davis get hurt, He can kick out and be a very good tackle. This guy was an undrafted free agent no less. Again 6'7 330 and athletic to boot. God save us all.

Daniel Kilgore - C+

I haven't seen much of him though word on the street is that he is being groomed to be a Center once Goodwin leaves/retires. But he is versatile as he is a backup at both guard and center. I think he has a bright future ahead and I expect his grade to increase.

Joe Looney - C-

Another guy who I haven't heard much of since he was drafted last year but he is another backup on our team. He won't see much action since our line has stayed healthy in general but he has the size you look for in a guard if he is lacking in some atheticism. Either way he is learning both guard and center which is indicative of Solari's style, teaching versatility. I think he makes the roster this year, as he was a 4th rounder only because he was hurt last year.

Al Netter - D+

This guy seems like a hard worker, but I expect another year in the practice squad for this guy. We just don't carry many backups in the regular season. Saw a little video of him online. He has good technique but he is not that athletic and has poor footwork. He would be used in Jumbo packages if anything.

Patrick Omameh - F

I think this kid is a general athlete. I think that his technique sucks for a guy that played 3 years at Michigan. It is clear he got by on his natural strength and agility. If Solari can clean up his technique he may have a chance in the NFL, otherwise this guy is a camp body, nothing more.

Adam Snyder - D

He is a veteran that knows our offense. He can play every side of the line and is a good depth guy to have. As long as he is not starting, I am fine with having him here.

Wayne Tribue - F

I think this is his last shot as an NFL player. While a sound technician, I don't know if he has the upside to be a physical force. I hope he gets into med school though, I think his future will be with a stethiscope around his neck.

Tackle:

Joe Staley - A-

Joe Staley is our veteran tackle. Now that he has found constant health, he has emerged as one of the games better tackles. I exagerrated putting him in the top 5, but I think he is top 10 easy. He is an elite run blocker, and though his pass blocking technique is so-so his length and athleticism even him out. So long as he stays healthy he is the leader of our line if not as good as the guy to his right.

Anthony Davis - B+

The reason we extended Anthony Davis before Iupati is simple. Anthony Davis is only 23 years old, has improved dramatically from when we first drafted him and will only get better. Furthermore, very good tackles are harder to get than elite/near elite guards. Fact of life. Anyway, Anthony is an elite run blocker and is improving as a pass blocker. He still has choppy feet but he compensates with his length and field vision. Again he is the bookend to our talented core and will be so for the nest decade.

Kenny Wiggins - D-

With Adam Snyder here, I don't think there is room for the kid on the roster. He should learn as he is on the practice squad though I expect him to be a backup swing tackle next year if he works hard.

Carter Bykowsi - D-

I think like Wiggins this guy will be on the practice squad, but we tend to groom our linemen this way so he should be too down.

Luke Marquadt - F

Unfortunately he is hurt so I don't know what the future is for this guy, but no matter how you spin it he is a project. Maybe I should grade him incomplete.

Synopsis: We are set at the Offensive Line and will be for the next 5 years at minimum. I think our line is elite and is the reason I believe we can produce offensively despite losing some playmakers.

Last edited:

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm not worried. even if he's not 100% by week 1 pat's played well with a fractured hand plenty of times :manny:

at least this'll give the young ILBs some meaningful reps