Not All Peaceful: 13 Racist Quotes Gandhi Said About Black People

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
All true, but the article is deeply misleading nonetheless. All of those quotes are from when Gandhi was still in South Africa, BEFORE he became a freedom fighter/activist for Indian independence. He would later go on to deeply regret his racism and to work with Black leaders in the US and elsewhere. It's unfair of the article to use those quotes without contextualizing them, because the fact remains that the Gandhi who became famous was not the same Gandhi who made those racist statements- he was the Gandhi who abandoned his racism. At the time he made those statements, he didn't even believe India should be independent and was still c00ning for the British empire. Some of those quotes come from when he was barely out of his teens, and even the most recent one is still a decade before he actually sparked the Indian independence movement.

I'll just quote myself from an older thread on the same subject:

Actually, there is, but unfortunately that information isn't widely available because the sensationalism of his earlier racist views gets more publicity for whoever is publishing it while the latter is just run-of-the-mill anti-racism.

One source I recommend is this book:
It details how Gandhi both sent representatives to the US to dialogue with Black Civil Rights leaders and how several Black Civil Rights leaders visited him in India, and the interactions they had. Gandhi even wrote for the legendary Black newspaper Crisis and personally corresponded with W.E.B. Du Bois.

And Che never changed his views about the indigenous peoples of South America. He was a Dances With Wolves/Last Samurai/Avatar type dude through and through- basically an upper-class White guy who identified with the dark-skinned natives and wanted to lead them, but simultaneously considered them in a paternalistic way.

It's a shame that the Black Star doesn't have higher standards of journalism. Producing needless disunity is a mistake, and giving a misleading picture of a man who actually did deliberately put in work for the Black cause around the world is wrong. It would be like someone writing an article about Malcolm where all they mentioned was that he gave massages to old White men.

Last edited:

Digga38

The seperation between what's fake and what's real
Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
lol
Not really.

I just don't think it's a shock that a guy said some racist shyt in the 1920s or whatever. It wasn't exactly the most progressive time in modern history.

In other news...Henry Ford was an anti-Semite.

:coffee:
Henry Ford was right

Digga38

Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
Actually, I find it very shocking considering the narrative that we're indoctrinated with about his message of love and peace. I'm glad the OP posted this.
Lol in the age of the Internet you are suprised? Suprised that the white man taught you wrong in his schools?

Digga38

Daps
Reppin
Dub-C
It is relevant, no, extremely relevant, given the way he is revered by many Blacks, past and present.

Blacks are still running around quoting this man to this day, ignorant to his racist sentiments(through no fault of their own though).

I myself was only made aware of it 5 years ago!

Guess how?

On an internet forum!

I'm not sure how you can even bring your fingers to type that bruh.. the relevance of sharing info like this is very self explanatory :patrice:
I don't know or have I seen any black quote gandhi only the white man. Matter of fact I asked my Indian bruh and he is like they don't even think of him to much in india...

The Negro always taking massa teaching and now suprised they are filled with lies

HoloGraphic

Trillionaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Firstly, what was his opinion at time of death?

Secondly, any opinion that doesn't feed my ego or black pride is here and forthwith, irrelevant.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Firstly, what was his opinion at time of death?

Secondly, any opinion that doesn't feed my ego or black pride is here and forthwith, irrelevant.

Deathbed confessions don't mean ish. I'm tired of old people trying to get some Jesus on the way out.

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
lol
Not really.

I just don't think it's a shock that a guy said some racist shyt in the 1920s or whatever. It wasn't exactly the most progressive time in modern history.

In other news...Henry Ford was an anti-Semite.

:coffee:

Yeah same as now but his bio is a good read and ironically designer CoCo Chanel despised fakkits. :russ:Che Guevara also said disparaging remarks about blacks prior to his revolutionary work in Latin America. Have to keep in mind that like Ghandi, he came from an educated class which tended to be elitist. Hell upper crust black folk do not like stereotypical nikkas, my paternal great gram disowned/disinherited her son for marrying a woman from "poor stock"(dark and broke). My maternal great great grams family who are indigenous americans/black and landowners did the same to their daughter. We found old letters where the sisters used to sneak, and write/visit my great great grams and send money to her kids against the parents wishes. Oddly enough you can tell the different branches of the families as one side is more progressive and retained some wealth through the generations, though they died/bred out while the others spawned like gremlins and are mad nikkerish/boughetto and love struggle culture. I remember discussing some article in a history class where Kwame Nkrumah, frustrated with laziness cocoa farmers, called them ******s which confused my Italian professor. Can tell he was used to polished black folk in academia and thr jazz lounges. The blacks and latinos looked at each other and then him with the collective thought :usure: "you obviously havent worked with nikkas, especially when trying to make progress"

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Talking about things Gandhi said over 100 years ago, 40-50 years before he died. The Indian exposure to race and the world's understanding of race was a lot different then, and he had some negative influences.

Gandhi said crappy things about untouchables in that stage of his life as well.. He wasn't fully on with non-violence and even joined the war effort as a young man in those years too.

But those weren't the views he died with and young Gandhi isn't the man that MLK Jr., Obama, and everyone else came to respect and admire. Over time, he matured and his views became for 100% nonviolence and 100% the equality of everyone.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Talking about things Gandhi said over 100 years ago, 40-50 years before he died. The Indian exposure to race and the world's understanding of race was a lot different then, and he had some negative influences.

Gandhi said crappy things about untouchables in that stage of his life as well.. He wasn't fully on with non-violence and even joined the war effort as a young man in those years too.

But those weren't the views he died with and young Gandhi isn't the man that MLK Jr., Obama, and everyone else came to respect and admire. Over time, he matured and his views became for 100% nonviolence and 100% the equality of everyone.
any proof of that?