Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That video has some straight lies in it:

"He refused to give support to African emancipation movements."

Pure bullshyt. Of course the main cause he was fighting for first was Indian independence, because that's where he could do the most good. But he clearly said that not only India, but all of Africa should be free, and he gave support to the men who led that fight. Read all the stuff I linked to you and see how much the leaders of those African emancipation movements praised Gandhi for leading the way for them.

Two 21st century revisionists say something on a video, and you believe that rather than the mountain of actual evidence from the time period itself that you can look at with your own eyes.

Visiting England in 1931 he was to make it clear of those South African races who “are ground down under exploitation” that: “Our deliverance must mean their deliverance. But, if that cannot come about, I should have no interest in a partnership with Britain, even if it were of benefit to India.” (Young India, November 19, 1931, CW, Vol 48, p. 261).

Gandhi wrote an article entitled “To Every Briton”. In it he asked every Briton “to support me in my appeal to the British at this very hour to retire from every Asiatic and African possession and at least from India. That step is necessary for the destruction of Nazism and Fascism. In this I include Japan’s ‘ism’ also. It is a good copy of the two.”

“The election of the Rev. Dr Rubusana as a member of the Cape Provincial Council for Tembuland by a majority of 25 over his two opponents is an event of great importance. The election is really a challenge to the Union Parliament with reference to the colour clause. That Dr Rubusana can sit in the Provincial Council but not in the Union Parliament is a glaring anomaly which must disappear if South Africans are to become a real nation in the near future. We congratulate Dr Rubusana and the Coloured races on his victory and trust that his career in the Council will do credit to him and those he represents. ” (Indian Opinion, September 24, 1910, CW, Vol 10, p. 325)

“It may be that the English temperament is not responsive to a status of perfect equality with the black and the brown races. Then the English must be made to retire from India. But I am not prepared to reject the possibility of an honourable equality. The connection must end on the clearest possible proof that the English have hopelessly failed to realize the first principle of religion, namely, brotherhood of man. ” (Letter dated November 23, 1920, CW, Vol 19, p. 14)

This denunciation was ratified by Gandhi, who had already criticised France a year earlier for its role in the Riff, the region on the north-eastern edge of the Atlas Range. The significance of this may be seen from the fact, as noted by a pioneering scholar of Francophone African literature, that Gandhi’s prestige was already great by the time the impulses for political independence, as in the Riff, appeared.19 Gandhi now followed with an article entitled “ Race Arrogance ” referring to information “ showing the wrong done by white Europe to the Abyssinians and the Riffs ” and pointing also to “ the injustice that is being daily perpetrated against the Negro in the United States of America in the name of and for the sake of maintaining white superiority ”. (Young India, October 14, 1926, CW, Vol 31, pp. 492-493).

It was not as though Gandhi had singled out France. As in the case of French external policies, he noticed racism rampant in England’s actions both within and without. Pointing to certain racial disabilities in Glasgow, Gandhi had made, earlier in the year, a world-wide projection of his concept of non-violent non-co-operation which he had, introduced in India in 1920. Citing the racial disabilities within Britain, he wrote : “ The question therefore that is agitating South Africa is not a local one but it is a tremendous world problem… There is however no hope of avoiding the catastrophe unless the spirit of exploitation that at present dominates the nations of the West is transmuted into that of real helpful service, or unless the Asiatic and African races understand that they cannot be exploited without their co-operation, to a large extent voluntary, and thus understanding, withdraw such co-operation ”. (Young India, March 18, 1926, CW, Vol 30, pp. 135-136)

By the turn of the decade, awareness of the movements and techniques of Gandhi, who had himself written early enough on Moroccan events, came to figure also in the struggles constitutive of Moroccan nationalism.29

Though cautious at this time about an amalgamated struggle, Gandhi provided a neat formula for mutual understanding. He declared that if Indian rights conflicted with African “vital interests”, he would “advise the forgoing of those rights” (Harijan, July 1, 1939, CW, Vol 69, p. 377).

On relations between India and Britain, Dr Privat noted : “ It is Gandhi’s dream to have a voluntary association between the two. If he still holds on to the link with Britain, as amongst equals, it is to save the coloured races. Canada dominates the English attitude towards America. Gandhi desires that India should similarly have her say in favour of the oppressed Africans. The liberation of his own country is only the first stage for him. He wishes then to use that power to deliver the others and to add… its moral conscience to the practical genius of the English. A united India would be able to put pressure like Canada under threat of separation. Imperialism and colonialism would have a decided enemy.

In a series of statements before the launch of the famous Quit India movement against British rule in 1942, Gandhi stressed that the Western powers must withdraw not only from India but also thereafter from Africa. In an article dated July 18, 1942, under the title “ To Every Japanese ”, Gandhi wrote : “ Even if you win it will not prove that you were in the right ; it will only prove that your power of destruction was greater. This applies obviously to the Allies too, unless they perform now the just and righteous act of freeing India as an earnest and promise of similarly freeing all other subject peoples in Asia and Africa. ” (Harijan, July 26, 1942, CW, Vol 76, p. 311)

While on a peace mission in East Bengal, on February 28, 1947 Gandhi endorsed the decision of the African National Congress, the Coloured People’s Organisation, the Natal Indian Congress and the Transvaal Indian Congress in South Africa to refrain from assisting the celebrations of and to boycott a Royal visit to that country “ in view of the disabilities imposed upon the Asiatics and Africans and other Coloured people ”. He wrote : “ I take this opportunity of publicly endorsing the abstention as a natural and dignified step by any self-respecting body of people. ” (The Hindu, March 1, 1947, CW, Vol 87, p. 28).

Gandhi also corresponded with, encouraged, and became an inspiration to many of the individual leaders of the African emancipation movements, as I've cited repeatedly already.

Although there were variations of technique and method over time and space, the “name of Gandhi has had repercussions” across Africa.... That Gandhiji’s philosophy and half-a-century long nonviolent and mass-based struggles against racial discrimination in South Africa and against colonial rule in India acted as an inspiration in South Africa and elsewhere in Africa is indicated also by the history of the collapse of colonial rule in various countries in Africa after India attained freedom. African leaders like Nelson Mandela, Kwame Nkrumah, Albert Luthuli, Desmond Tutu, Julius Nyerere, Kenneth Kaunda, among others, have in some form or another, acknowledged Gandhiji as an inspiration. Even a leader like Joshua Nkomo of Zimbabwe, who found Gandhiji’s methods “not appropriate” to the “special national situation” in his country, nevertheless observes that Gandhiji’s movements were “an inspiration to us, showing that independence need not remain a dream”. [Nkomo (Joshua), The Story of My Life, Methuen, London, 1984, p. 73].

As one writer has put it: “Of all the Asian independence movements, the Indian movement has undoubtedly stirred the imagination of African nationalists the most. And it is not difficult to see why. First, there was the personality of Mahatma Gandhi. The message cabled by the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC) on his death expressed the sentiments of all African nationalists, for whom Gandhi was the ‘bearer of the torch of liberty of oppressed peoples’ and whose life had been ‘an inspiration to colonials everywhere’.”

Gandhi’s influence in Africa, such as it was, appeared to cut across nations, races, linguistic areas and religions. Among his most ardent students, for example, was Nigeria’s Aminu Kano. A devout Muslim, Aminu Kano, according to his biographer, “analysed Gandhi’s success in lifting millions of Indians to a high level of dedication and endeavoured to adapt Gandhi’s non-violent techniques to Northern Nigeria”. (Alan Feinstein, African Revolutionary: The Life and Times of Nigeria’s Aminu Kano, Davison Publishing House, Devizes, Wiltshire, 1973, pp. 143-144) Kano came, at least according to one source, to be referred to as the “Gandhi of Nigeria” (Idem). A progressive Muslim, Aminu Kano took several initiatives for social reform.

The rest of the video is just that guy's opinion, and he says the same tired crap that NoHateLeftBehind said...which was easy to prove wrong.

Last edited:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He also did many other questionable things, like refusing to let his dying wife take penicillin but taking quinine to save himself not too long after.

That's crazy. But then again, he wasn't Black and came from a place where they throw acid at women's faces, so this kind of defective behavior should be expected. :yeshrug:

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
That video has some straight lies in it:

"He refused to give support to African emancipation movements."

Pure bullshyt. Of course the main cause he was fighting for first was Indian independence, because that's where he could do the most good. But he clearly said that not only India, but all of Africa should be free, and he gave support to the men who led that fight. Read all the stuff I linked to you and see how much the leaders of those African emancipation movements praised Gandhi for leading the way for them.

Two 21st century revisionists say something on a video, and you believe that rather than the mountain of actual evidence from the time period itself that you can look at with your own eyes.

You dropped pure knowledge here but I see no daps. I guess the fake militants didn't want to read all that.

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
@The Dankster Stay out my alerts fakkit........:piss:

I'll bump whatever the fck I want to.....I see you must like suckin Indian dikk......stay outta my thread with ya sensitive ass......

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
@The Dankster Childish ass cac....can you fakkits stay out my alerts.....I will bump whatever I want......keep crying......

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
Gandhi has been dead for 67 years.
Is this really important?

You're not wrong.
It's just....are we gonna make threads about all the racist shyt that was said before polio was cured?

:coffee:
But isn't that the way thecoli builds most of its arguments on race?:sas2: