No Poison No Paradise - The Official Detroit Lions 2014 Offseason Thread

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Bruh u sound like you just regurgitating what you read in mock drafts with what you saying about defensive players. I don't care what most predicted a player to go. Shazier has the skillset to be a play maker at lb that this team hasn't had in decades. Sideline to sideline terror.

4.6 speed is not fine for a slot. If your playing tight then yeah it's good speed, but once you split out wide that's slow.

A receiving option at 10 wasn't needed. This team needs linebackers and d backs way worse than a pass catcher.

This is the problem with teams like the lions chasing what other organizations have. The idea of having a athletic tight end that can split wide and do all these other things is fine. But was jimmy graham a top 10 pick or aaron Hernandez or what about gronkowski. They wasn't even first rd picks. Only Vernon Davis was picked that high because he had exception talent. Lions been chasing offense my whole life and I can remember back as far as chuck long :deadrose:

Seems like somebody in Allen park :mjpls:would say the best times of the lions history was the early 90's when they actually had a defense to go with Barry sanders.
Today nfl is different. Lions dont need three stud linebacker anymore. Teams are in the nickle the majority of the time. If your picking lb it means your finding tulluchs replacement or your finding someone that fits a 3-4 scheme which their going add a little bit of this year. Shazier would have been considered a big reach at 10. Ebron is effective in the slot due to his size against dbs and speed against lbs. a 40 time for a TE doesnt matter, it will just always be a mismatch if he is a graham, davis clone like advertised. Gronk ran a 4.65, graham 4.53, hernandez 4.64. Davis 40 time was just freaky. I highly doubt your actually breaking down players film so predictions by talking heads and scouts do actually dictate drafts.

Calvins has always had nagging injuries. So your confident that a stafford, golden tate, pettigrew, fauria, bush, bell offense can win games if calvin is out? Stats show no offense is as dependent on one skill postion player as the lions are on cj.

Again the offense lost those games last year, not the defense. If lions drafted haha or pryor they would be backing up two vets or playing the nickel. Gilbert was gone. Dennard dropped pretty far,maybe for a reason. Let slay, green, and greenwood play and hope houston returns to form. I understand wanting a defender but there was no value at pick 10 this year. Lions have 7 more picks to make. And shazier was never even near being a top 10 pick. He was probably a reach for pitt.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Bruh u sound like you just regurgitating what you read in mock drafts with what you saying about defensive players. I don't care what most predicted a player to go. Shazier has the skillset to be a play maker at lb that this team hasn't had in decades. Sideline to sideline terror.

4.6 speed is not fine for a slot. If your playing tight then yeah it's good speed, but once you split out wide that's slow.

A receiving option at 10 wasn't needed. This team needs linebackers and d backs way worse than a pass catcher.

This is the problem with teams like the lions chasing what other organizations have. The idea of having a athletic tight end that can split wide and do all these other things is fine. But was jimmy graham a top 10 pick or aaron Hernandez or what about gronkowski. They wasn't even first rd picks. Only Vernon Davis was picked that high because he had exception talent. Lions been chasing offense my whole life and I can remember back as far as chuck long :deadrose:

Seems like somebody in Allen park :mjpls:would say the best times of the lions history was the early 90's when they actually had a defense to go with Barry sanders.

We had a semblance of a decent secondary with Bennie Blades and Ray Crockett. Ray's bandanna game was:wow: we also had Jerry Ball and Chris Spielman. We had people on defense.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Today nfl is different. Lions dont need three stud linebacker anymore. Teams are in the nickle the majority of the time. If your picking lb it means your finding tulluchs replacement or your finding someone that fits a 3-4 scheme which their going add a little bit of this year. Shazier would have been considered a big reach at 10. Ebron is effective in the slot due to his size against dbs and speed against lbs. a 40 time for a TE doesnt matter, it will just always be a mismatch if he is a graham, davis clone like advertised. Gronk ran a 4.65, graham 4.53, hernandez 4.64. Davis 40 time was just freaky. I highly doubt your actually breaking down players film so predictions by talking heads and scouts do actually dictate drafts.

Calvins has always had nagging injuries. So your confident that a stafford, golden tate, pettigrew, fauria, bush, bell offense can win games if calvin is out? Stats show no offense is as dependent on one skill postion player as the lions are on cj.

Again the offense lost those games last year, not the defense. If lions drafted haha or pryor they would be backing up two vets or playing the nickel. Gilbert was gone. Dennard dropped pretty far,maybe for a reason. Let slay, green, and greenwood play and hope houston returns to form. I understand wanting a defender but there was no value at pick 10 this year. Lions have 7 more picks to make. And shazier was never even near being a top 10 pick. He was probably a reach for pitt.
I broke down shazier film for a few years in the big 10. Homie is a beast. I don't need Mel kiper to tell me where he should be drafted. IMO tulloch is not a 3 down linebacker. He is slow and his range is very limited.
Mayhew stopped that bpa shyt last year when he drafted for need.
I have no confidence in stafford which is why I've been screaming for a defense And taking the offense outta stafford hands. Stafford shouldn't be throwing for 35-60 times a game. But of course the run and shoot lions will always be pass happy and brung in a pass happy coach and coordinator.
The lions defense was not Good last year and stafford was hot garbage.
In true lion fashion they don't take a db and what happens, there's a run on d backs to close the first round. Let's also be clear that safety we got from Baltimore is a career backup who nobody else wanted. He's not some guaranteed starter with a good track record.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
I broke down shazier film for a few years in the big 10. Homie is a beast. I don't need Mel kiper to tell me where he should be drafted. IMO tulloch is not a 3 down linebacker. He is slow and his range is very limited.
I have no confidence in stafford which is why I've been screaming for a defense And taking the offense outta stafford hands. Stafford shouldn't be throwing for 35-60 times a game. But of course the run and shoot lions will always be pass happy and brung in a pass happy coach and coordinator.
In true lion fashion they don't take a db and what happens, there's a run on d backs to close the first round. Let's also be clear that safety we got from Baltimore is a career backup who nobody else wanted. He's not some guaranteed starter with a good track record.

They are trying to justify that #1 overall pick and those millions. Matt Stafford has Batman ability but Robin intangibles. He's a game manager with a huge arm. It's no surprise that people were calling Mike and Mike and complaining about our pick. I double facepalmed when it was announced.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Tulluch is a proven starter and a team leader. Since your all about drafting needs, his replacement shouldn't be a priority on such a bad defense with so many holes. I mentioned in an earlier post on the dbs lions fans were desperate to get. Milliner, amukamaru, kirkpatrick, stephan gilmore, jenoris jenkins, jimmy smith. They are all mediocre to bad nfl players right now. All the dbs in this draft are similar caliber players. If mack or gilbert were there, lions should have went defense but they weren't. Delmas to ihedigbo is a wash.
Lions are an offensive first team. Deal with it. We cant play like the seahawks or 49ers right now. There is nothing wrong with playing like the saints or broncos. An elite offense and mediocre defense can be an elite team.

Stafford has been bad the last few years but when he is on he has elite throwing talent. He is not some scrub. Problem is a guy so talented should not be so inconsistent. His mechanics is the biggest thing that needs to be fixed, but that is what caldwell and lombardi are here for. Now he has no excuses. Put up or shut up time for staff

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Tulluch is a proven starter and a team leader. Since your all about drafting needs, his replacement shouldn't be a priority on such a bad defense with so many holes. I mentioned in an earlier post on the dbs lions fans were desperate to get. Milliner, amukamaru, kirkpatrick, stephan gilmore, jenoris jenkins, jimmy smith. They are all mediocre to bad nfl players right now. All the dbs in this draft are similar caliber players. If mack or gilbert were there, lions should have went defense but they weren't. Delmas to ihedigbo is a wash.
Lions are an offensive first team. Deal with it. We cant play like the seahawks or 49ers right now. There is nothing wrong with playing like the saints or broncos. An elite offense and mediocre defense can be an elite team.

Stafford has been bad the last few years but when he is on he has elite throwing talent. He is not some scrub. Problem is a guy so talented should not be so inconsistent. His mechanics is the biggest thing that needs to be fixed, but that is what caldwell and lombardi are here for. Now he has no excuses. Put up or shut up time for staff

Pretty much what I'm saying. Stafford ascending is what affects this team the most. We just need a decent defense, around 11-15ish (which can be done via free agency and 2nd and 3rd rounders). The NFL is an offense driven league, the time it'll take to try and build a Seahawks/niners defense and megatron will be old and that's assuming you've picked all the right players and they don't bust.

We have our identity, dome offensive team. All we can do is hope Caldwell can make stafford turn the corner.

I'm not saying Ebron was the easy call and I can understand why people would be mad we didn't get defense. But I can understand the logic of going offense if you feel he is a playmaker. Now I didn't know pettigrew was already signed so I assume this means we will see two TE sets with mega and Tate ala patriots, eagles, etc. And if that's so this might be staffords most important year ever. Somebody is going to be open, he needs to hit them in the numbers when they are.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

And we saw what those offenses did against Seattle last year in the playoffs. You really think that's the way to get past the two best teams in the NFC? :mjpls:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
And we saw what those offenses did against Seattle last year in the playoffs. You really think that's the way to get past the two best teams in the NFC? :mjpls:

It's not a surprise that best teams have great defense. Didn't we see this with our the Broncos got destroyed in the Super Bowl? Seattle, San Francisco, Carolina: Top flight, physical defenses.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Pretty much what I'm saying. Stafford ascending is what affects this team the most. We just need a decent defense, around 11-15ish (which can be done via free agency and 2nd and 3rd rounders). The NFL is an offense driven league, the time it'll take to try and build a Seahawks/niners defense and megatron will be old and that's assuming you've picked all the right players and they don't bust.

We have our identity, dome offensive team. All we can do is hope Caldwell can make stafford turn the corner.

I'm not saying Ebron was the easy call and I can understand why people would be mad we didn't get defense. But I can understand the logic of going offense if you feel he is a playmaker. Now I didn't know pettigrew was already signed so I assume this means we will see two TE sets with mega and Tate ala patriots, eagles, etc. And if that's so this might be staffords most important year ever. Somebody is going to be open, he needs to hit them in the numbers when they are.
That's all the offense needs. The lions coulda had the exact same receiving cast as last year and if stafford can come out and complete 63% of his passes the offense would be top 5. When you got Calvin Johnson you don't need 4 other premium targets.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
That's all the offense needs. The lions coulda had the exact same receiving cast as last year and if stafford can come out and complete 63% of his passes the offense would be top 5. When you got Calvin Johnson you don't need 4 other premium targets.

That's what I'm talking about. We already have the best WR in the game, we picked up Golden Tate and then we have to draft someone on offense? What is that really saying about Matthew Stafford? It can not be simply lack of weapons, we have Reggie Bush as well? You can't teach arm strength that is why there is still a love affair with him.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Y'all tryna get me to say defense not important. But...y'all already don't trust this front office talent evaluation you think they will be able to pick 5+ players that won't bust and can transform the defense? Cause that's what it will take. And this is all has to happen in the window while you still have a good qb (in theory) and a game changing wr in their prime.

We don't need to be Seattle, Carolina, etc. The formula to winning changes all the time. Ravens won the Super Bowl with one of their worst defenses in their recent era. And they beat San Fran's big bad defense.

Lions need to be themselves, they just have to excel at it. Then you'll have the league saying "man we need to be like the lions". Discipline and stafford is what determines whether this team wins 7 games or 11 games. And that's with the defense how it is right now, not if they don't add any talent in the second and or third rounds.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Its not a coincidence that staffords best year came when he had three good wr (cj, burleson, young), two quality te (pettigre, scheffler) and a rb (Best) that could take it to the house at anytime. He has that and more now.

You don't need 4 premium targets but you need more than 1. To me, Tate is ideally a number 3 option. Pettigrew will do what he does best by blocking but teams will still have to account for him as a receiver. Lions could very well have the best and most balanced offense in football next year.

Seahawks defense may be an all time great defense when their done. That is not easy to duplicate. There is no earl thomas in this draft. The chances of drafting multiple players at chancellor or sherman level in later rounds are slim. And the sea are one of the few franchises with a franchise qb without a 100 million dollar contract. Every team circumstance is different. Lions road to success goes through their offense.

And lions might just have best defense in nfc north. Chi, gb, and min were all worse on defenses than lions last year.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
That's what I'm talking about. We already have the best WR in the game, we picked up Golden Tate and then we have to draft someone on offense? What is that really saying about Matthew Stafford? It can not be simply lack of weapons, we have Reggie Bush as well? You can't teach arm strength that is why there is still a love affair with him.
You got cj who automatically commands a safety then you got Tate with Reggie bush having the ability to go out of the 2back set and flex to the slot. With bell In the backfield and pettigrew or fauria in the middle. You can pick up a good wr in the middle rds.