No Poison No Paradise - The Official Detroit Lions 2014 Offseason Thread

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Why are yall acting surprised. Mayhew has always drafted bpa in rd one. Dennard, haha would have been reaches. Only defensive player available that would warrant top 10 pick was donald. Lions dont need another dt. Not to mention db usually take time to develop. Dennard or haha would not make immediate impact, they would be no better this year for lions than green, slay, or greenwood. And a guy
Iike mcgill will probably be there in the top of 2nd rd.

If stafford can get it together, our offense is matchup nightmare for defenses. No real weaknesses.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Why are yall acting surprised. Mayhew has always drafted bpa in rd one. Dennard, haha would have been reaches. Only defensive player available that would warrant top 10 pick was donald. Lions dont need another dt. Not to mention db usually take time to develop. Dennard or haha would not make immediate impact, they would be no better this year for lions than green, slay, or greenwood. And a guy
Iike mcgill will probably be there in the top of 2nd rd.

If stafford can get it together, our offense is matchup nightmare for defenses. No real weaknesses.
3 defensive players went in the next 5 picks so that it woulda been a reach doesn't really apply.
The same things u saying about others may not make a immediate impact, can be said for a te that can't block and has a history of drops, and running a 4.6 which is slow for a wr.

How can u just make the assumption that a top db wouldn't have been better than the junk they already got. Just because slay was toast last year doesn't mean fuller and denard will do the same.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
3 defensive players went in the next 5 picks so that it woulda been a reach doesn't really apply.
The same things u saying about others may not make a immediate impact, can be said for a te that can't block and has a history of drops, and running a 4.6 which is slow for a wr.

How can u just make the assumption that a top db wouldn't have been better than the junk they already got. Just because slay was toast last year doesn't mean fuller and denard will do the same.
I dont consider ebron a te. He is a huge slot wr. 4.6 for a guy that size is fine. He may not be as freaky as vernon Davis or jimmy graham but i would not mind if he is a jermichael finley clone. He is a matchup nightmare for defenses when they have to always account for cj, tate, bell and bush. Ebron had 4 drops last year in college. And blocking wont be an issue because pettigrew will still be primarily the blocking te.

Like i said, other than donald none of those defensive players are elite prospects. You dont reach for a need when you have a top ten pick. Pick most talented player available. Haha, dennard, pryor, fuller all went around where they were projected to go. Dennard fell and fuller rose but they were all just okay prospects. there were no patrick peterson or joe haden in this draft. Gilbert is the only db i would have considered at 10 he has elite talent but questionable tape. Shazier is a good player but most projected him as a late 1st rd pick.
And rookie corners rarely play well in there first few years. Patrick peterson was considered a freak prospect and was horrible at cb as a rookie. A lot easier for a guy like ebron with little pressure on him due to the cj effect to beast early on.

And people keep forgetting that the offense was the reason for the lions collapse last year. Stafford fell apart. And the team is too reliant on cj. If he goes down the team cant compete. With ebron if something were to happen to cj, the offense wont fold as easily. Remember the gb, cle, and nyg games without cj and how our team got exposed. Another receiving option was a legit need

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I dont consider ebron a te. He is a huge slot wr. 4.6 for a guy that size is fine. He may not be as freaky as vernon Davis or jimmy graham but i would not mind if he is a jermichael finley clone. He is a matchup nightmare for defenses when they have to always account for cj, tate, bell and bush. Ebron had 4 drops last year in college. And blocking wont be an issue because pettigrew will still be primarily the blocking te.

Like i said, other than donald none of those defensive players are elite prospects. You dont reach for a need when you have a top ten pick. Pick most talented player available. Haha, dennard, pryor, fuller all went around where they were projected to go. Dennard fell and fuller rose but they were all just okay prospects. there were no patrick peterson or joe haden in this draft. Gilbert is the only db i would have considered at 10 he has elite talent but questionable tape. Shazier is a good player but most projected him as a late 1st rd pick.
And rookie corners rarely play well in there first few years. Patrick peterson was considered a freak prospect and was horrible at cb as a rookie. A lot easier for a guy like ebron with little pressure on him due to the cj effect to beast early on.

And people keep forgetting that the offense was the reason for the lions collapse last year. Stafford fell apart. And the team is too reliant on cj. If he goes down the team cant compete. With ebron if something were to happen to cj, the offense wont fold as easily. Remember the gb, cle, and nyg games without cj and how our team got exposed. Another receiving option was a legit need
That's because Stafford was trash. :what:

Ebron had four drops...with 41 catches. That's almost a 9% drop rate. In other words, he's gonna be dropping a pass every other game. Just what the Lions need.

Did you just compare him to Jermichael Finley and say that's someone you'd be OK with taking as a top ten pick? :pachaha: Finley has been alright in the NFL, but he was a third rounder, not the 10th overall selection.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
Im also baffled by that pick...I mean I think ebron finna be a good player, but your passing game was good enough to compete. that defense needs a big investment, on other hand. all imo of course

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
That's because Stafford was trash. :what:

Ebron had four drops...with 41 catches. That's almost a 9% drop rate. In other words, he's gonna be dropping a pass every other game. Just what the Lions need.

Did you just compare him to Jermichael Finley and say that's someone you'd be OK with taking as a top ten pick? :pachaha: Finley has been alright in the NFL, but he was a third rounder, not the 10th overall selection.
Ebron is only 21 years old. Nfl coaching can help him with his drops. He is not like stone hands pettigrew. If anything he has that roy williams problem. Makes the spectacular catch but miss the routine one. Which can be fixed with maturity and coaching. A healthy Finley is a top 5 receiving te in the nfl. Which is not a bad comparison. It was obvious the whole time the lions were targeting a pass catcher. I was saying evans or ebron months ago. Dudes been wanting to pick a cb forever. How did D Milliner, m claiborne, dre kirkpatrick, gilmore, prince amukamara, jimmy smith, janoris jenkins and some others all turn out. Mediocre to bad. Case still out for milliner and jenkins but all these players at one point were fan favorites for lions to pick. None are that good.

irishfury

Get Money Gang
Daps
Ehhhh this is a blah pick. Same as I felt about Ansah last year. The reason we got him is he was #2 on Lombardi draft board. Lombardi is briinging in the New Orleans offense and he won't be used as a TE he will be slot reciever to cause miss matches. I would much rather of had Shazier or Dennard but this is easily on the new offensive coridnators pick.

The draft the ten spot was awful for the Lions.

I think there board looked like this.

Watkins
Evans
Mack
Barr

CB never help much in there rookie years Patrick Peterson was roasted non stop as a rookie.
I really would have like Shazier. Levy, Tulloch and Shazier would have really made us have one of the best front 7 in the NFL.

Well we don't have much WR depth but the offense is pretty much complete and Detroit Oline is one of the tops in the leagues with great yourth in Warford, Wattle and Reiff

Sims is late twentys and railoa playing better with age but will need replacing soon. So I think the front office said lets complete a dominating offense as we where 1 piece away from a great set of Rb, Te, Wr and Oline.

Last edited:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Ebron is only 21 years old. Nfl coaching can help him with his drops. He is not like stone hands pettigrew. If anything he has that roy williams problem. Makes the spectacular catch but miss the routine one. Which can be fixed with maturity and coaching. A healthy Finley is a top 5 receiving te in the nfl. Which is not a bad comparison. It was obvious the whole time the lions were targeting a pass catcher. I was saying evans or ebron months ago. Dudes been wanting to pick a cb forever. How did D Milliner, m claiborne, dre kirkpatrick, gilmore, prince amukamara, jimmy smith, janoris jenkins and some others all turn out. Mediocre to bad. Case still out for milliner and jenkins but all these players at one point were fan favorites for lions to pick. None are that good.

Watch when those sidearms come out of the arm cannon fast and off-center, Ebron is going to drop shyt just like the rest of them. Our problem is not weapons, its our QB, always has been.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Watch when those sidearms come out of the arm cannon fast and off-center, Ebron is going to drop shyt just like the rest of them. Our problem is not weapons, its our QB, always has been.
I know Stafford will make or break this team. But I cant ignore how bad the receivers not named Calvin were last year. Stafford was off target as much as they weren't open or dropping passes. Even CJ had big drops at crucial moments last year. Stafford has the best wr in the NFL, sure handed golden tate, 3 legit TE threats, two quality backs, and a young talented o-line. No more durham, ross, ogletree, or old man burleson getting starter reps. There are no excuses for Stafford this year. On paper this offense should have no weaknesses. Rest of draft should focus on defense.

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
I know Stafford will make or break this team. But I cant ignore how bad the receivers not named Calvin were last year. Stafford was off target as much as they weren't open or dropping passes. Even CJ had big drops at crucial moments last year. Stafford has the best wr in the NFL, sure handed golden tate, 3 legit TE threats, two quality backs, and a young talented o-line. No more durham, ross, ogletree, or old man burleson getting starter reps. There are no excuses for Stafford this year. On paper this offense should have no weaknesses. Rest of draft should focus on defense.
I feel a lil better reading this post.

That first pick would have just sold me on their commitment to winning, but it's hard to argue the arsenal they could put on display this year. Still, if shyt goes south, everyone in this thread gonna be like

zjcQSps.gif

eastside313

Superstar
Daps

Bruh u sound like you just regurgitating what you read in mock drafts with what you saying about defensive players. I don't care what most predicted a player to go. Shazier has the skillset to be a play maker at lb that this team hasn't had in decades. Sideline to sideline terror.

4.6 speed is not fine for a slot. If your playing tight then yeah it's good speed, but once you split out wide that's slow.

A receiving option at 10 wasn't needed. This team needs linebackers and d backs way worse than a pass catcher.

This is the problem with teams like the lions chasing what other organizations have. The idea of having a athletic tight end that can split wide and do all these other things is fine. But was jimmy graham a top 10 pick or aaron Hernandez or what about gronkowski. They wasn't even first rd picks. Only Vernon Davis was picked that high because he had exception talent. Lions been chasing offense my whole life and I can remember back as far as chuck long :deadrose:

Seems like somebody in Allen park :mjpls:would say the best times of the lions history was the early 90's when they actually had a defense to go with Barry sanders.

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
i can understand the anger. whoever we picked at 10 wasnt gonna turn the defense into a top 10 so :manny:

again even with how trash our defense was/is, our success depends on stafford. if he takes it to the next level, with all these weapons, lions are a contender. nfl is a passing league. might as well get a guy the nfl is trying to cater to

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
If they didn't sign Pettigrew I'd dislike this pick a lot less.I don't doubt his talent at all so.I'm not bashing him in that area.Just the fact that pettigrew is still here fukks with me.Maybe they think the new coaching staff can coach up the young cb's we have.It could've been worse....

It's a deep draft and if they can pick up Jernigan or one of those big ass corners left in round two I'll be satisfied.

Last edited: