No Poison No Paradise - The Official Detroit Lions 2014 Offseason Thread

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
ur basically agreeing with me...

Don't judge me breh. I'm a distraught Lions fan. For years, I was like Urkel to their Laura, all about these bytches like they were the greatest thing in the world. Would argue to the death that Jerry Ball was a better lineman than Reggie White or Chris Spielman would shyt on Lawrence Taylor. I got older, while my love for them has actually grown ironically, I don't trust them though and I realize that there are prettier girls out there. I mean, a nikka could have been rooting for the Detroit Drive, at least they brought home championships to the D but my heart is with the Lions. As far as what you are saying. Jim Caldwell is not right for us as he is beholden to Stafford's development among other things. If he was such a QB guru, the Colts would have wanted him to work with Andrew Luck and they canned him. We need someone that would threaten to put a foot in Stafford's ass when all his mistakes. I have immense respect for the football acumen that Peyton Manning has and it was his call to Martin Meyhew that got Caldwell the job. However, I don't expect much positive energy here until our QB improves. Just venting breh.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Detroit Lions want a 'flamethrower' at pass-rushing outside linebacker
The No Fun League hasn't banned flamethrowers yet, and the Detroit Lions could be looking to exploit the crack in the system.

"Anybody can use a flamethrower," coach Jim Caldwell actually said, "and sometimes you find one here or there."

Caldwell made the comment while discussing his desire to add a pass-rushing outside linebacker to a defense that struggled to sack the quarterback last year and has absorbed some turnover at defensive end.

The Lions return Ezekiel Ansah and Devin Taylor at defensive end, but there are mostly question marks about who else is going to rush the quarterback.

"Obviously we have a need," Caldwell said. "Ziggy does a great job, now. That's one thing we'll keep working with him. He's big, he's strong, he's physical, he can get on the edge and he can work you inside and outside. He's one of those guys who can get on the outside and go.

"Now we also need trying to find maybe a little bit different flavor in that regard, trying to find maybe another guy that can do it. He may be in our program right now, in our organization. We have to see how he fits within our scheme, but obviously, anybody can use a flamethrower, and sometimes you find one here or there."

The Lions will continue to run a 4-3 defense under Caldwell and new aggressive defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, but there will be some new wrinkles in the system and the addition of a pass-rusher at linebacker seems like an inevitability.

But they don't have an obvious internal candidate for the position.

Ansah starred as a pass-rushing linebacker at BYU but is unlikely to move away from the defensive end spot he played last year for Detroit. New defensive end Darryl Tapp played linebacker last season in Washington's 3-4 scheme, but said upon his signing that he's more comfortable with his hand in the ground and expects to fill that role with Detroit.

"We have a pretty good idea what he can do, and he does give you a little bit of everything," Caldwell said of Tapp. "I know he can play the edges, I know he can play the run, he's done it time and time again. He's got the attitude you like. His approach to the game is truly professional. We'll see."

As for the linebackers, Ashlee Palmer has only one sack in his career, DeAndre Levy is at his best using his athleticism in coverage -- he led all linebackers last year with six interceptions -- and Stephen Tulloch has played middle linebacker his entire eight-year career.

So if the Lions are serious about installing a pass-rushing outside linebacker, the best bet is looking outside the organization. One logical candidate is UCLA's Anthony Barr.

Barr is projected as a first-round pick, and could be a candidate for the Lions at No. 10. General manager Martin Mayhew personally attended his pro day in Los Angeles last month.

"He, to me, is in the mold of the pass-rushing defensive ends that are long and athletic," ESPN draftnik Mel Kiper Jr. said of the 6-foot-5, 247-pound prospect. "This kid has a lot of natural ability. He's going to get better and better. I think he's deserving of going there, or even to Tennessee (at No. 11).

"He can play with his hand in the ground, he can play on his feet, he provides a lot of versatility, and I think he's a little underrated going into this draft. He'd have been a top-10 pick guaranteed had he come out last year."

The Lions had opportunities to pressure the quarterback last season, but struggled to convert them into sacks. They finished with just 33, which ranked 28th.

Pass rush :damn:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A solid free agency period plus good draft slots will allow them to explore different options. hopefully they can come out of the draft with a rush lb, CB, perhaps a future center and wr.

:whoa: No expectations of that on my part tho lol

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
A solid free agency period plus good draft slots will allow them to explore different options. hopefully they can come out of the draft with a rush lb, CB, perhaps a future center and wr.

:whoa: No expectations of that on my part tho lol
They need a rb too. Fragile bush is bound to get hurt and the way bell run he probably will too.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Is Barr a lb or a DE. If they feel he is best available player take him but he seems like a tweener.

Dan-o back as backup qb
11b7uiw.jpg

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Lions take a proactive risk with defensive tackle Nick Fairley
Allen Park – For three years, Auburn football coaches poked and prodded, coaxed and cajoled, begged and pleaded with Nick Fairley, first to get his academics in order so he could play and then to apply himself, to put in the work, both on his body and on his understanding of the game, so he could reach his enormous potential.

Nothing much happened in those three years. It took him two years at a community college to qualify academically at Auburn, and he was underwhelming in his first season in the SEC making just two starts in 2009.

Then came 2010. With a multi-million-dollar carrot dangling in front of him in the form of the NFL draft, Fairley finally put in the time to get his body in shape, finally put in the time to understand the finer points of playing defensive tackle and, lo and behold, he became the most dominant player defensive player in the country, helping Auburn win the national championship.

This brings us to last month at the league meetings in Orlando when Lions general manager Martin Mayhew announced the team would not be picking up Fairley’s fifth-year option on his rookie contract.

For the last three seasons, the Lions have been poking and prodding, coaxing and cajoling, begging and pleading with Fairley. Please stay out of trouble in the offseason. Please get your butt in a weight room and come to camp in shape. Please take the physical gifts you were blessed with, for which we have paid you nearly $10 million dollars, and use them to help us win football games.

But for three seasons, Fairley has only teased. There have been flashes of greatness, for sure, but nothing sustained. There has been mostly injury and inconsistency.

So, Mayhew has dangled another carrot. It would have cost the team $5.5 million to pick up Fairley’s option for 2015. By not doing so, the Lions are effectively saying to Fairley, we aren’t sure you are worth $5.5 million. Up this point, you are not. We are giving you the 2014 season to prove us wrong.

The Lions are hoping he responds to this challenge like he did back in 2010, that he comes to camp in shape and motivated, that he stays healthy and has the long-awaited breakout season. And if he doesn’t, if he comes to camp insulted and pouty, then he will have confirmed their suspicions.

Is it a risk? Maybe a little, but it seems to me to be a very calculated and intelligent risk. There are other factors in play here – namely Ndamukong Suh.

Suh is on the salary cap for $22.4 million this year. The Lions are hoping to sign him to a long-term contract possibly worth in excess of $100 million. They know it would be very difficult to afford two defensive tackles on max contracts. If they are committed to Suh as the face of their defense, then they know their time with Fairley is likely to be short.

On the other hand, if negotiations with Suh break down, or if he decides he wants to test free agency no matter what, then it becomes even more imperative the Lions find out what a healthy, motivated and fully-engaged Nick Fairley looks like.

Personally, though, I think Mayhew already knows who and what Fairley is, and that’s why he was willing to turn this into a contract year for him. I don’t believe the Lions would ever trust Fairley with a long-term contract with big-money guarantees. If they could, they would like to keep dangling carrots.

But, if nothing else, the Lions want one dominating year out of Fairley and they believe forgoing the fifth-year option is the best way to get that out of him. They want to see what that might look like, and what value that might have going forward – either for the Lions or as a potential trade chip.

It’s risky, sure, because you are dealing with a freakishly talented player who could end up playing in Pro Bowls with another team. But, given the team’s financial plan and what they already know about Fairley’s work ethic, it’s a shrewd and proactive risk.
:ld:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jeremy Ross officially signed his exclusive-rights free agent tender on Monday. He was the Lions' only unsigned ERFA, so they are now all under contract.

Rather see Ross. Superstitious reasons

Back to back wins on Turkey Day :jawalrus:

Suh like :mjlol:. Fairley showed up, They should house him at teh training facility until the season begins :patrice:

The Detroit Lions kicked off their offseason training program on Monday, two weeks earlier than usual since they have a new head coach. On-field coaching isn't allowed and these workouts are mainly just for strength and conditioning and rehabilitation, but this training program is the first real chance for the team to come together under the new coaching staff.

It's important to note that these workouts are voluntary, and as a result, not every single player was actually in attendance on Monday. Per Dave Birkett, wide receiver Jeremy Ross said that the Lions had a good turnout as the training program began, but defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh was not there. As noted by Birkett, this isn't exactly something new for Suh:

Last edited:

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
So suh didn't show up for the offseason workouts. I know it's voluntary, but if you a captain ya ass should be there.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Dave Birkett: Detroit Lions seem willing to trade up to draft Clemson's Sammy Watkins
If the Detroit Lions want to land the best receiver in the draft, Clemson's Sammy Watkins, they'll have to trade up to get him.

And the growing sense in league circles is that's the all-in sort of move the Lions, a team desperate to reverse its downtrodden luck, could be willing to make.

Watkins is the best pass catcher to come out of college in the last few years, a game-changer who unlike most rookies should have an immediate and long-standing impact.

Photo gallery: Potential Lions draft picks

Lions Gab: What positions will Lions target in draft?

He's explosive, has reliable hands, can play anywhere on the field and most importantly is the type of talent who fits both the Lions' current window of opportunity and could help bridge the gap from Calvin Johnson to the future.

The Lions have done a ton of homework on Watkins already.

General manager Martin Mayhew and coach Jim Caldwell had dinner with him the night before his pro day last month, and both men stuck around to watch Watkins put on a show on the field.

Last week, the Lions, still wary of diva receivers from their Titus Young fiasco, hosted Watkins' college teammate, Martavis Bryant, on a pre-draft visit, and Bryant told the Free Press the topic of Watkins came up.

“They just asked about how we got along and stuff like that,” Bryant said.

On Tuesday, the Lions snuck Watkins in for a pre-draft visit, where he met with Johnson, Golden Tate, offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi and others. Vice chairman Bill Ford Jr. was in the building during Watkins' visit, and according to NFL Network, Watkins met with him, too.

At the owners meetings last month, both Mayhew and Caldwell spoke glowingly of Watkins, who for all his talent - he's roundly considered one of the five best prospects in the draft - still has had to explain a 2012 arrest that got him suspended for the first two games of that season.

Caldwell called Watkins “a quality person” and said “there's not much to dislike about this young man.”

“We had an opportunity to visit with his mother and father, so I think you get a pretty good feel,” Caldwell said. “And one of the things I've always learned from my days back in college is I've always loved to watch the interaction between the individual and his parents. You know that old scripture in the Bible, honor thy mother and father. Well, typically you can tell what kind of man it is … when you watch the people that they are closest to and hold dearest to their heart and how they treat them.”

Mayhew has never been averse to making big moves in the draft, though he's not known as someone who will do so at any cost.

In 2010, Mayhew gave up minimal compensation - second- and seventh-round picks plus a swap of fourth-rounders - to move up four spots and draft playmaking running back Jahvid Best in an effort to add a new dimension to the offense. The move worked - until Best's career ended a year later with concussions.

In 2011, Mayhew tried to trade up from 13 to 5 to land Patrick Peterson, offering his first-, second- and fourth-round choices. Ultimately, the Arizona Cardinals wanted to stay put so they could take a player that's now one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL.

Last year, the Lions kicked around the idea of moving up two spots for tackle Lane Johnson, but ultimately stood pat and ended up with a good, young defensive end in Ziggy Ansah.

No one knows what it'll take to get Watkins this year, though a top-four pick (ahead of the Oakland Raiders at 5) is a safe assumption.

According to the draft value chart, to move from 10 to four, the Lions would have to offer a similar package to what they dangled in front of Arizona in 2011: first-, second- and fourth-round choices, with maybe a late-rounder coming back. (The Lions don't have a fifth-round pick this year, that was lost in the Mike Thomas trade, but they do have two extra fourth-rounders that can't be traded because they're compensatory picks.)

And for a team that's already talked privately about the Super Bowl being its goal, dealing a package of picks might make more sense than, say, saving one of those picks and parting instead with a player like Nick Fairley, the defensive tackle they ended up with after missing on Peterson and someone whose long-term future with the Lions is in doubt.

(The Lions have given no indication they're willing to trade Fairley, and picking up his fifth-year option - which Mayhew said he doesn't plan to do - would surely make him more attractive to potential trade partners.)

Watkins said all the right things after his visit. He said he had a “great meeting” with Caldwell and Mayhew before his pro day and said he's not looking to be a “Superman wide receiver” for whatever team drafts him but just wants to “go in there and make plays and help my team out.”

The Lions, despite signing Tate to a five-year free-agent deal last month, still need help at the receiver position that lacks punch beyond its top two pass catchers.

Watkins would step into the rotation immediately, and, assuming he lives up to his massive potential, would take over for Johnson as the Lions' go-to receiver a couple years down the road.

Mayhew has said finding an heir apparent for Johnson, who turns 29 in September and has played through knee injuries the last two years, hasn't entered into the Lions' thinking. But considering the history of big receivers falling off in their 30s, it should.

There's no debating the Lions have more needs to fill than receiver, and taking a high-upside but lesser player at 10 and filling the roster with other solid draft picks would help in that regard. Caldwell even hinted the best way to support a still developing quarterback like Matthew Stafford is by surrounding him with a solid defense.

“Through my experience, in years four, five and six is when you really start to see a climb at (the quarterback) position,” Caldwell said at the owners meetings. “It takes a while to get it done. For a guy to come into this league and perform at the all-pro level right at the onset in professional football is rare. And usually when it does happen it's with a guy who's coupled with a team that has a great defense and can run the ball. They don't put it all on his shoulders.”

But in the NFL, superstar players (Peyton Manning) and elite units (the Seahawks' defense) are the surest path to success, and Mayhew said last month he'd like to add some to his team.

“Sometimes the guys are elite players who are difference makers,” Mayhew said. “If you're picking 10 and there's five elite players and you can get one of those guys we think there's value in (doing that).”

Contact Dave Birkett: dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett.
:dahell:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1386290979003.gif

If Watkins was there at ten, which is unlikely, I wouldn't mind the Lions drafting him. How much are they willing to give up to move in a position where Watkins will be there tho? At least they would have to move up to the four spot probably.

Any offense with Johnson, Tate, Fauria, Pettigrew (plus decent guys like Durham/Ross) and Bush and Bell with o-line play should be formidable-top 12 in the league. Sammy looks to be an elite talent, but part of this is to mask Stafford's flaws. All the elite talent wont do that-coaching and better play calling will, and ultimately Stafford himself.

They're banking on those young corners showing and proving and do not wish to add another young corner like Denard or Gilbert to the mix, , plus they're not be in love with Barr. We'll see:yeshrug: