No Poison No Paradise - The Official Detroit Lions 2014 Offseason Thread

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
idk breh Suh's best year statistically was his rookie year :manny:
Statistically as in sacks and tackles, I guess. And I don't even know about the lesser cited stats like disruptions and hurries. So the statistically thing can be argued, but I would say he's def a better player than he was his rookie year. Much better at playing the run and staying disciplined on the field.

And this ain't meant as a diss, but why'd you bring that up?

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
Statistically as in sacks and tackles, I guess. And I don't even know about the lesser cited stats like disruptions and hurries. So the statistically thing can be argued, but I would say he's def a better player than he was his rookie year. Much better at playing the run and staying disciplined on the field.

And this ain't meant as a diss, but why'd you bring that up?
He has never showed up for voluntary workouts and his stats have trended downward. :manny:

Definition of insanity etc etc etc :manny:

Born2BKing

Veteran
Daps
Do the blazers ever work on defense in practice? Seems like they don't give a fukk about nothing but scoring.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Where you been? Sapp is definitely a talking head now, and one that's frequently left with his foot in his mouth. He one of them ol hatin ass nikkas who always try to shyt on other players while his glass house is crumbled all around his feet. He been talking out his ass for years.

Believe what you want homie. But I don't try and read into all that shyt. If he has a great season none of these folks who been running with this story will bring the fact that he didn't show up to some involuntary work out up at all. And no one will call them out for it. There's no accountability to an article like that, and that's my problem with sports "journalism" these days. That article and several other like it just speak to lazy ass writing technique of today's media. That "still doesn't know what it takes to win" and "winner", "heart of a champion", and all that other un-quantifiable bullshyt writers want to throw out there as support for their opinions, miss me with that shyt. I judge nikkas by what they do on they field, not what these writers try to spoon feed me.

The fact that one of those articles pointed out that Stafford didn't miss any of these workouts during his contract negotiations should say enough. Clearly that's the shyt that builds winners. If a player is winning superbowls then apparently that shyt is all good, but what if that was that players practice long before they started winning? Of course no one bother to mention that or research it, because then it wouldn't support their bullshyt narrative. Ol' "I'll conveniently cherry pick when it's a problem ass" writing.

When somebody can flash a Super Bowl ring I don't consider them a writer or a talking head. No matter what else sapp said in the past about other shyt you can't say he wrong with what he say about Suh. Suh does just bull rush all the time and he overruns or over pursues the running backs a lot of the time. Then every now and then you'll see him make a crazy one arm tackle in the backfield. You watch a bengals game and you don't see the other team consistently running at Geno Atkins like teams will do with suh.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Heath Evans claiming Suh was uncontrollable, bullying teammates, and kept doing things to show Schwartz he had more power after the season ended lol. I didnt even watch that video :russ:
Naw it wasn't even about that, they was talking about when players are leaders and should suh be at ota.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
:manny:
:manny:
When somebody can flash a Super Bowl ring I don't consider them a writer or a talking head. No matter what else sapp said in the past about other shyt you can't say he wrong with what he say about Suh. Suh does just bull rush all the time and he overruns or over pursues the running backs a lot of the time. Then every now and then you'll see him make a crazy one arm tackle in the backfield. You watch a bengals game and you don't see the other team consistently running at Geno Atkins like teams will do with suh.
But is that Suh or the scheme? You saw that happen much less this year as they weren't as aggressive with the wide 9 scheme. We'll see if that happens this year under a completely different coaching regime.

And what Sapp say about all the other players across the league that missed voluntary workouts or done so in the past? That nikka ain't slick. Ring or not he still just a ol country ass hating ass nikka who now gets paid to spew his opinion about football.

Last edited:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps

He has never showed up for voluntary workouts and his stats have trended downward. :manny:

Definition of insanity etc etc etc :manny:
But what stats are you siting. Cause if you wanna cherrypick something like sacks and say that if he would have went to involuntary workouts he would have more sacks, then go right ahead. It would be ignoring everything else that would come into play, like scheme changes, different personnel, and more aggressive double and triple teams to slow him down, but none of that shyt matters anyway. It's all about them workouts. That's the type of lazy dishonest analysis I'm talking about. And even if you wanna site statistics, there are many folks, analyst, writers, and websites that would say this was his best season, statistically and realistically, just not using the most basic, novice fan friendly stats of sacks and tackles.

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
But what stats are you siting. Cause if you wanna cherrypick something like sacks and say that if he would have went to involuntary workouts he would have more sacks, then go right ahead. It would be ignoring everything else that would come into play, like scheme changes, different personnel, and more aggressive double and triple teams to slow him down, but none of that shyt matters anyway. It's all about them workouts. That's the type of lazy dishonest analysis I'm talking about. And even if you wanna site statistics, there are many folks, analyst, writers, and websites that would say this was his best season, statistically and realistically, just not using the most basic, novice fan friendly stats of sacks and tackles.
:manny: i dont care either way. he already fukked our offseason by playing around and not getting a new deal done

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
:manny: i dont care either way. he already fukked our offseason by playing around and not getting a new deal done
Wasn't Mayhew quoted as saying that Suh tried to talk to him without an agent about a deal and Mayhew stopped him and said he didn't want to consider negotiating until he got an agent. Am I the only one who sees these things? I ain't even tripping if he leaves, but I'm wondering why so many Lions fans are quick to place blame on Suh vs an organization that has a 50+ Year track record of ineptitude. That shyt boggles my fukking mind.

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
Wasn't Mayhew quoted as saying that Suh tried to talk to him without an agent about a deal and Mayhew stopped him and said he didn't want to consider negotiating until he got an agent. Am I the only one who sees these things? I ain't even tripping if he leaves, but I'm wondering why so many Lions fans are quick to place blame on Suh vs an organization that has a 50+ Year track record of ineptitude. That shyt boggles my fukking mind.

i never saw the article :manny:

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
i never saw the article :manny:
I believe it, and I think a big reason for that is the overabundance of negative articles expounding on the situation. That's what I'm talking about with the media and how they spin shyt. Negativity will get you a lot more of those all important "hits" than objectivity or waiting to see what develops.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Detroit Lions Attempting to Trade Ndamukong Suh? If They Are, It's Smart
The first thing you must understand about Detroit and Ndamukong Suh is that the Lions have indeed had conversations with other teams about trading Suh. This is a fact. What is also true: It's been just talk and not even serious talk. Just a feeling-out of other teams to see what they would be willing to give up for Suh.

This means, quite simply, the Lions are covering their asses, just in case the worst happens. They are gauging interest, seeing what they might be able to get in terms of draft picks, while also not even coming close to pulling any trigger on a trade.

Several team officials believe that, for now, the Lions are just exploring what they could get for Suh in case their contract talks with him completely disintegrate.

"What the Lions are doing is standard operating procedure," one team executive said. "Just in case they don't think they can sign him, they're preparing for worst case. It's smart."

In other words, the Lions are doing their due diligence. They would be foolish not to.

And if they found some deal that actually made sense, they'd be smart to take it. Because Suh is too flammable on the field, and not enough of a leader off it, to be worth that kind of money.

That kind of cash—he currently takes up $22 million in cap space and is looking for a mega-contract—is what you pay quarterbacks. Not interior defensive linemen who can't maintain their self-control.

He becomes a free agent next season. The Lions should let him walk if they can't trade or pay him.

There are two important facts that must be stressed here. First, team officials that have spoken with the Lions believe strongly that the Lions and Suh will work out some sort of arrangement and that Suh will stay in Detroit.

Second, teams thinking of trading for Suh love his ability but do not trust him. At all. In fact, these officials explain, one of the reasons that the Lions might not end up trading Suh is that other teams are nervous about handing him a great deal of cash.

"Every team in football would love to have (Suh)," said one team official, "but his behavior on the field still makes teams nervous. There's a feeling that he has no self-control."

This is the Suh conundrum. The Lions don't want to pay him a massive amount of money because they aren't certain he's worth it. Teams thinking of trading for Suh feel the same.

I've been a critic of Suh in the past. He's a remarkable talent, a delicious combination of ferocity and skill, but he is also a fan of leg kicks, cheap shots and overall dirtiness. There is a feeling among league people that Suh, who has been fined more than $200,000 for various illegalities, cannot be controlled and doesn't understand the optics of his acts. Suh is, easily, the dirtiest player in football.

Most of all, the concern is that Suh isn't a winner.

The latest example of this is Suh not showing up for offseason workouts. The workouts are voluntary, but there isn't a great leader or winner in football that doesn't show up to them. Lions fans, quite the sensitive bunch, believe the criticism of Suh for not appearing at the workouts is a media invention. It's not.

Tom Brady attends voluntary workouts. Aaron Rodgers attends voluntary workouts. So does Peyton Manning. In fact, Manning never stops thinking about football. Neither did Jerry Rice, or most of the other legends and greats.

Suh is a captain beginning with a new coaching staff. This would have been the perfect time to make a positive impression on his new bosses. Instead, he decided to stay home. It's irrelevant that he could still show up to minicamp or training camp in shape. It's more about leadership. He's a captain, and captains are usually the men who set the examples.

Let's put it this way: Suh is in the same company as Cowboys backup quarterback Kyle Orton, who is also not attending voluntary workouts.

It's the extremists in football that win. The men who push themselves. The ones that lead. I know some stars have in the past not attended voluntary workouts, but the percentage that do is almost 100 percent. And don't tell me Rodgers attends solely because of a workout bonus. He'd be there regardless.

Players should be able to have time away from football once the season ends, and they do. Plenty. What the workouts do is tighten the bond between teammates. There are coaches in the NFL that feel the offseason workouts are one of themost important aspects of building team chemistry.

Suh not attending them is a statement about Suh. He's telling the Lions coaches, "Who cares if you're new? Suh does what Suh does."

Jim Caldwell basically responded that he'd like Suh at the workouts but understands why he isn't. Other teammates have said it's not a big deal. They are doing the last thing they should with Suh. They are placating him.

No one should be surprised if Suh is traded, but it continues to look like (for the moment) Suh and the Lions will work out some sort of deal. For the moment, that's how it looks.

Which is unfortunate for the Lions.

Mike Freeman covers the NFL for Bleacher Report.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
I believe it, and I think a big reason for that is the overabundance of negative articles expounding on the situation. That's what I'm talking about with the media and how they spin shyt. Negativity will get you a lot more of those all important "hits" than objectivity or waiting to see what develops.
If suh was tryin to get a deal done and get more help on this team he wouldn't have waited months to hire an agent after free agency started.

Nobody on the lions wanna call him out, coaches and front office top toeing around suh cause they don't wanna upset him because they wanna resign him. Lions will never be shyt with that attitude.