No Poison No Paradise - The Official Detroit Lions 2014 Offseason Thread

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
If you watched the lions you seen That willie young was the most consistent pass rusher on the team. 971 quoted a stat that willie young was top. 5 in the nfl last season in pressuring the qb. Some advanced pass rushing statistic.
I know he missed a lot of potential sacks. I'm not giving him credit for missing sacks. He had 3 sacks last year. Ansah had 8 and he missed a lot of time. Best quality a pass rusher can have is the ability to finish plays. Youngs lack of finishing, poor run support, and stupid penalties makes young replaceable

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
I know he missed a lot of potential sacks. I'm not giving him credit for missing sacks. He had 3 sacks last year. Ansah had 8 and he missed a lot of time. Best quality a pass rusher can have is the ability to finish plays. Youngs lack of finishing, poor run support, and stupid penalties makes young replaceable

Last season was the first year willie young got starter type playing time and he was good pass rusher. Yes he missed some sacks and had some penalties. He is a young player that was getting better. Jason jones is ok but he is not a pass rusher and the other rookie de played ok in garbage games against teams that was just waiting for the season to be over. Now if they don't get a pass rusher in the draft you've removed your most consistent pass rusher and replaced him with a journeyman. I hope Devon Taylor develops into a contributor but we don't know what he is.

Best quality of a pass rusher IMO is to be able provide consistent pressure. 3 qb hurries and 2 qb hits in a game better than a sack.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Last season was the first year willie young got starter type playing time and he was good pass rusher. Yes he missed some sacks and had some penalties. He is a young player that was getting better. Jason jones is ok but he is not a pass rusher and the other rookie de played ok in garbage games against teams that was just waiting for the season to be over. Now if they don't get a pass rusher in the draft you've removed your most consistent pass rusher and replaced him with a journeyman. I hope Devon Taylor develops into a contributor but we don't know what he is.

Best quality of a pass rusher IMO is to be able provide consistent pressure. 3 qb hurries and 2 qb hits in a game better than a sack.
I see what your saying but lions have three good pass rushers in suh, fairley, and ansah. Just have to hope that Ansah can turn into an elite complete player in mold of peppers or Mario williams. He has similar skill set to those guys. I just feel that wr, te, s, cb, olb are bigger needs than de. Lions can draft player similar to young in 3rd or 4th rd.

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I'll go on the record and say I like Devin Taylor a lot more than Willie Young. If this means more playing time for him, I'll be pleased.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Lions Retain Tight End Brandon Pettigrew for Four Years, $16 Million
Brandon Pettigrew is a bit of a relic in today’s NFL, a tight end who’s just as comfortable blocking as he is catching the ball.

For the Detroit Lions, that versatility was a part of their offense they couldn’t bear to lose.

Pettigrew agreed to a four-year, $16-million deal with the Lions on Thursday that includes $8 million guaranteed. He’s en route to Detroit this morning to take a physical and sign his contract.

One of the top tight ends to reach free agency, Pettigrew received serious interest from at least three other teams but in the end decided to stay with the franchise that drafted him in the first round out of Oklahoma State five years ago.

Related: More free agency news

Though he was coming off a down season statistically in which he caught just 41 passes for 416 yards, the Lions made retaining Pettigrew their No. 1 off-season priority at the position.

A good blocker who had two 70-plus-catch seasons early in his career, Pettigrew fits the all-purpose mold new offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi likes in his tight ends.

He’s missed two games each of the past two seasons with ankle injuries, but rarely came off the field when healthy
lb_icon1.png
last year, when he was used less than normal in the passing game because of other deficiencies at the position.

The Lions finalized a deal with Pettigrew around mid-day Thursday, shortly before their No. 2 target at the position, Scott Chandler, re-signed with the Buffalo Bills.

Pettigrew also had interest from the New York Jets, Oakland Raiders and Kansas City Chiefs, among others.

In five NFL seasons, Pettigrew, who turned 29 last month, has 284 catches and 16 touchdowns, but also has struggled with drops at times.

The Lions have two young tight ends on their roster, Joseph Fauria and Michael Williams, but still could try and upgrade the position in May’s draft.

Fauria had seven touchdown catches as a rookie, but was used mostly in red-zone situations. Williams spent his entire rookie season on injured reserve.

With Pettigrew back, the Lions have three remaining unrestricted free agents they could re-sign, cornerback Rashean Mathis, backup quarterback Shaun Hill and offensive tackle Jason Fox. Defensive end Willie Young signed a three-year deal with the Chicago Bears on Thursday.

Contact Dave Birkett: dbirkett@freepress.com . Follow him on Twitter @davebirkett .

:comeon:

Why do these people keep talkin about pettigrews blocking like it was so spectacular. Am I missing something:dwillhuh:

Guess the contract isn't bad, but we all know the history of pettigrew big slu footed slow ass

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora
I came in to bytch about the fact that they had the Lions selecting Eric Ebron on NFL Networks draft show yesterday ,but now i just saw the Pettigrew news and now i'm even more pissed :mjlol:

fukk TE's :snoop:

FaygoMI

All Star
Daps
I'd rather pay him that modest salary than draft a te in the first 3 rounds.

Real contract is only a 3 year deal.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Its a good move at that price. Got half of what pitta got. Just hope fauria becomes big time player