Nintendo Switch Official Thread

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
I'm curious to know if this is more of a portable console, or a dockable portable.

What I'm getting at is...hardware specs. Can we expect power/graphics/memory more inline with consoles or portables?

I know that the formats continue to merge...but there's still a significant difference in gaming performance between a PS4 and say an iPad mini.

Biblical Goon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
tho i do like they tryna bring back and encourage split screen and actual getting back to being social again w/ video games but yall nikkas overhype anything

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think there's a bit of Sony Stannery in your response but what you said is very possible.
I've often wondered if traditional mobile gaming (DS / VITA) has seen a decline because:

They aren't mobile enough. Most people already carry a smartphone in there pockets and dont have the space or dont have the interest in adding more to their pockets.

Smartphones can play some decent quality games on a platform that does much more than a traditional mobile gaming platform like the VITA or DS.

It'll be interesting to see how many people actually use the portable option regularly. It's possible it'll be like you say. Once the novelty wears off people will just leave it on the dock. BUT! I like the option of being able to throw a console in a book bag and take it with me everywhere. Its larger than most handheld devices but way smaller than the other video game consoles.
This isn't true. People walk around carrying big ass tablets, netbooks, laptops in bags. hell the OG Gameboy was fat as hell.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
This was in July of this year in the US. Either way saying "this ain't Japan" isn't how they see it. They have to a WW audience. The US isn't the center of the world.
@Fatboi1 sings the japanese national anthem in falsetto every time he showers.

Last edited:

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm really curious about how the market will respond to this. We've always heard how mobile gaming is now dominated by smartphones and tablets. With the Switch, we're going to find out just how true that statement is.

Nintendo NX Reveal Announcement Causes Jump in Shares

3145455-8556569474-640x-.png

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sony has two generations in a row of failed portable hardware under their belt. You really think they're up for a third? Microsoft and Sony chase the same crowd. You think it Sony can't make portable gaming a success for them Microsoft will decide to give it a go.

As an adult gamer when I'm out of the house I'm working or doing something else. I don't have time to pack in a dedicated portable gaming device and play it. I game at home and that's about it. My 3DS and PS Vita only get played at home even. For me If I could play 3DS games on my TV I wouldn't even own the portable and I only own a Vita because it came out before the PSTV.

What I'm getting at is for many of us adults we're good gaming on our TVs and the portable part is unnecessary. Nintendo chases a different market. The family and kids market. They can use that portability.

If this takes off and switch is super successful Sony will think about PS5 being portable or hybrid in some aspect. It's a smart way to capture both the western and japanese markets having a console that gives you an option to play at home or on the go. And besides not everyone has time to game at home since people work and commute for 2 - 3 hours a day. I think nintendo is stepping in a good direction to fill that void.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
This isn't true. People walk around carrying big ass tablets, netbooks, laptops in bags. hell the OG Gameboy was fat as hell.
The devices you mention do way more than just play video games. I don't think people are as interested in carrying a device dedicated to gaming everywhere they go when they already carry devices that are capable of gaming and much more on a daily basis. This isn't to say it will fail, its just something to consider.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
this is dope. that mario preview got me hyped right now. i wonder what the screen size will be:jbhmm: i think 7 inches would be the sweet spot.

first day cop with zelda, mario and any pokemon game they release:banderas::blessed:

gtj1982

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
America's Darkside--210
Disagree, I didn't think tablets would really jump off like they did because of how useful smart phones are, but a portable console that allows you to play a full version of a game on the fly anywhere, that's HUGE. Especially in this adhd generation.

I can literally play a "full" console game on my break in the Lunch room or car.

I'm really hype about this, and I hope nintendo gets that 3rd party support like they did back in the snes days again.

Hello vita and PSP. This thing serves no purpose to anyone but diehards. Guess we got to listen to the hype for a another year till it's clear its a flop. This is just a portable Wii U. Does no one remember all the developers for the Wii U and 3DS on paper when they launched. This might sell 30 mil. What parent is going to get this monstrosity for their kid to walk around with.

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
Yeah, if I got this I would never take it outside. I drive so couldn't use during a commute. And I'm not about to look like a fool playing Mario on a gaming device at work :mjlol:. This shyt is mainly for kids, or when you on the toilet. Also can be helpful if you just wanna lay in bed and play some shyt. I'd use the portability feature, just not outside my house.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Hello vita and PSP. This thing serves no purpose to anyone but diehards. Guess we got to listen to the hype for a another year till it's clear its a flop. This is just a portable Wii U. Does no one remember all the developers for the Wii U and 3DS on paper when they launched. This might sell 30 mil. What parent is going to get this monstrosity for their kid to walk around with.
The same ones that bought their kids iPads.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Yeah, if I got this I would never take it outside. I drive so couldn't use during a commute. And I'm not about to look like a fool playing Mario on a gaming device at work :mjlol:. This shyt is mainly for kids, or when you on the toilet. Also can be helpful if you just wanna lay in bed and play some shyt. I'd use the portability feature, just not outside my house.
I can see it being useful on trips and nights in a hotel, that sort of thing. I wouldn't be caught playing it in the break room at work.
:jbhmm:But now that I think of it, it MIGHT be small enough to fit on my lap at work in my office. :patrice: