Nintendo Switch Official Thread

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I need to stop you right there because this is terrible logic. Department stores and electronics stores sold consoles back in the day too. Unless video games were only sold at children's toy stores (they weren't) your point is moot.

Fred.
In the beginning children were more the target audience. Also in the 90s if you walked in a store like Sears, Target, Walmart and asked where the video games were they'd direct you to the toy department. If you looked at their holiday catalog and weekly sales ads you'd see them listed in the toy section.

Much later down the line video games became far more mainstream and these stores moved them away from toys and to their electronic department.

The game industry changed to primarily target that 18-35 male demographic but Nintendo never really changed from the industries early days when there was clearly a focus on kids.

Maybe some of us are drastically different in age but back when I was a kid your console had to have a cartoon character mascot with some type of simple platforming game. You honestly think adults were the target of that type of stuff? Shooters existed back then but were nowhere near as common as they are now. Today every major end of year game is a AAA shooter first or third and the common game of those early days platformers is almost extinct.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
breh are you serious? my uncle in his 50's still plays games
I didn't say that there aren't 50 year old people that play games. I'm saying that the mid 40s to early 50s console gamer isn't as common as you'd like to portray. I work a job where I'm in and out of well over 100 random houses a month and I'm right there by their TVs and the people of that age range I see with game consoles that don't have kids is pretty low. I've seen guys in their 50s that play Destiny seriously but like I said that kinda gamer at around 50 isn't someone I encounter too often.

I see more people that age that game on an iPad or some other super casual device.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
you type a lot of shyt but say a whole lot of nothing. The fact remains that even in the 90's whenever reports/studies on video games were mentioned in the news/articles, they also stated the average age of gamers were 30 somethings.
please link them I'd love to see this.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
please link them I'd love to see this.
Dog how old are u? U wrong as fukk. Videogames was basically my life back then I remember the shyt like yesterday. From Arcade to console plenty of adults played videogames. U trippin. I used to bust grown ass men ass all the time in fighting and sports games g. My pops is in his mid 50s and still plays videogames.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Dog how old are u? U wrong as fukk. Videogames was basically my life back then I remember the shyt like yesterday. From Arcade to console plenty of adults played videogames. U trippin. I used to bust grown ass men ass all the time in fighting and sports games g. My pops is in his mid 50s and still plays videogames.
The primary target of video game consoles back in the 90s were kids. That's why the consoles had childish cartoon character mascots with simple platforms to advertise them. That's why they were in the toy department of toy stores. Nintendo came from that era and is a throwback to it.

There's always been games that targeted adults and there's always been adult gamers but in those early days these companies sold harder to children than they did adults. Hell back when I was pretty young a game like Mortal Kombat required a code to see the blood. Why would you think that was even needed? If game consoles were targeting adults primarily why would a mature game require a code to see blood?

People say Nintendo is kiddy but Nintendo is making the same sort of content they were making back then. It's the industry around Nintendo that changed while they continued to remain the same making the same kind of games they always did and targeting the same audience. The bulk of early console gaming were Nintendo. Are you suggesting Nintendo was targeting adults back then and only recently switched to this kid friendly family focus? Don't be ridiculous.

Yall suggesting the industry back then wasn't directing their sights primarily at kids is like suggesting Avatar the Last Air Bender and Legend of Korra were for adults. Those shows targeted kids. they were cognizant that some adults liked the shows too but the primary target was kids. It's like Pixar movies, the primary target is kids but they know some adults like it too. Of course gaming today isn't like that. it's almost the opposite except Nintendo who never changed.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
The primary target of video game consoles back in the 90s were kids. That's why the consoles had childish cartoon character mascots with simple platforms to advertise them. That's why they were in the toy department of toy stores. Nintendo came from that era and is a throwback to it.

There's always been games that targeted adults and there's always been adult gamers but in those early days these companies sold harder to children than they did adults. Hell back when I was pretty young a game like Mortal Kombat required a code to see the blood. Why would you think that was even needed? If game consoles were targeting adults primarily why would a mature game require a code to see blood?

People say Nintendo is kiddy but Nintendo is making the same sort of content they were making back then. It's the industry around Nintendo that changed while they continued to remain the same making the same kind of games they always did and targeting the same audience. The bulk of early console gaming were Nintendo. Are you suggesting Nintendo was targeting adults back then and only recently switched to this kid friendly family focus? Don't be ridiculous.

Yall suggesting the industry back then wasn't directing their sights primarily at kids is like suggesting Avatar the Last Air Bender and Legend of Korra were for adults. Those shows targeted kids. they were cognizant that some adults liked the shows too but the primary target was kids. It's like Pixar movies, the primary target is kids but they know some adults like it too. Of course gaming today isn't like that. it's almost the opposite except Nintendo who never changed.
Fam think about this for a second. The average gamer in 2011 was 37 and 29% of gamers at the time was over 50. Now do the math.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
In the beginning children were more the target audience. Also in the 90s if you walked in a store like Sears, Target, Walmart and asked where the video games were they'd direct you to the toy department. If you looked at their holiday catalog and weekly sales ads you'd see them listed in the toy section.

Much later down the line video games became far more mainstream and these stores moved them away from toys and to their electronic department.

The game industry changed to primarily target that 18-35 male demographic but Nintendo never really changed from the industries early days when there was clearly a focus on kids.

Maybe some of us are drastically different in age but back when I was a kid your console had to have a cartoon character mascot with some type of simple platforming game. You honestly think adults were the target of that type of stuff? Shooters existed back then but were nowhere near as common as they are now. Today every major end of year game is a AAA shooter first or third and the common game of those early days platformers is almost extinct.

First off, how old are you? Because video games weren't necessarily anywhere near the toy departments in any of those places. They were usually in the electronics department, or close to it. The Sears version was called "Funtronics". Hell, the video games in Toys R Us even had their own section separate from the toys. I mean the big stores, not the smaller ones in malls.

Were you a child in the 90's? Because I wasn't. I was 20 in 1996. I remember this shyt vividly.

Fred.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
First off, how old are you? Because video games weren't necessarily anywhere near the toy departments in any of those places. They were usually in the electronics department, or close to it. The Sears version was called "Funtronics". Hell, the video games in Toys R Us even had their own section separate from the toys. I mean the big stores, not the smaller ones in malls.

Were you a child in the 90's? Because I wasn't. I was 20 in 1996. I remember this shyt vividly.

Fred.
Dude is buggin. Lol

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Fam think about this for a second. The average gamer in 2011 was 37 and 29% of gamers at the time was over 50. Now do the math.
When you say gamer that could mean a person that plays card games on their cell phone. That's a gamer. I'm talking about the slice of the game industry that Nintendo is focused on the home console side. In the 90s that sector aimed at youths as the primary audience. Nintendo runs shyt today with the same targets in mind that they had back then. They're making many of the same franchises they were making back then and Nintendo back then was a huge chunk of the home console market. Are you telling me that the Nintendo of today is drastically ran different and makes drastically different content than the Nintendo of the 90s?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Fred.
Yeah I was the kid that ran to the toy department to play the game demos while my mom shopped the store. Moms used to take me to Target and hell that's how I got her to get me an SNES because before it came out they had a demo unit there. shyt was in the toy section at the back of the store.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah I was the kid that ran to the toy department to play the game demos while my mom shopped the store. Moms used to take me to Target and hell that's how I got her to get me an SNES because before it came out they had a demo unit there. shyt was in the toy section at the back of the store.

So you were a kid. I wasn't. You aren't remember shyt accurately.

I guarantee everyone else disagreeing with you is older than you, too. If your mom was taking you places in 1992 then I'm not trying to hear your account of how things were. You have a habit of arguing just to argue.

Fred.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i see another rough 5 years in Nintendo's future.

That wont stop me from getting this but cotdamn there are so many issues with the switch, where to even begin.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
i see another rough 5 years in Nintendo's future.

That wont stop me from getting this but cotdamn there are so many issues with the switch, where to even begin.

They're gonna drop the price on the Switch by September, especially if the sales start to slump after launch. No way is this thing staying $299 by years end.