Nintendo Switch Official Thread

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
No backwards compatibility might be a dealbreaker for me.

Didn't buy a Wii U, have not owned a Nintendo handheld in over 10 years. Having access to all those games would have been a big selling point for me and plenty of others. Especially considering the lack of 3rd party support.
Buy a Wii U. You can already do this on there.

TransJenner

Banned
Daps
So is the name officially Nintendo NX?

If they try making it Wii:
I'm never gonna gonna cop

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I want Nintendo to win but history tells me they'll just let me down again. It's :pacspit:Nintendo until further notice.
I'll probably buy it and plug it up to the TV and never really use it just like the Wii U then when it's at the end of it's life look back and go why did I even buy that? If I do get it I doubt I'll ever play it as a portable. I've owned every major console since the PS2 forward and if you skip the Dreamcast I've owned every major one since the PS1 forward. I've become one of their critics but deep down I'll probably end up with it anyway.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I'll probably buy it and plug it up to the TV and never really use it just like the Wii U then when it's at the end of it's life look back and go why did I even buy that? If I do get it I doubt I'll ever play it as a portable. I've owned every major console since the PS2 forward and if you skip the Dreamcast I've owned every major one since the PS1 forward. I've become one of their critics but deep down I'll probably end up with it anyway.
The handheld part is interesting to me. I have a pstv and although it doesn't get much burn these days, for the time I did use it a lot it was dope to play ff7 on my vita where ever I went and then continue the same save on my tv. What the NX is supposedly going to do takes that experience a step further with all the games being cross platform/all in on platform. Combining the mobile and home libraries is very smart of them and I'm interested to see what happens. I'm just getting ready to be let down again. Coincidentally I have yoshis wooly world paused right now as I'm typing this.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
They are saying it's gonna be really cheap.

If it's under $200 I'll probably buy it for the kids no matter what.

I just hope the graphics look good. It has a 2 year old mobile chip in it. :huhldup:

Digital Foundry and Eurogamer says that the Tegra X1 may just be a placeholder for dev kits since they have cooling fans in it and I seriously doubt that Nintendo would release a handheld with fans.:scusthov:

The final hardware will either be a overclocked custom Tegra X1 or the unreleased Tegra X2. If it's the latter, XB1 and PS4 ports could be feasible. However, the price could get jacked up.:patrice:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Eurogamer: NX is different, and different is Nintendo's best option.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...os-best-option
Once again, Nintendo has chosen the road less travelled. Assuming it's based on the Tegra X1 processor, NX will be considerably more powerful than Wii U, but it won't match PlayStation 4 or Xbox One for grunt, even as those machines are set to be superseded by more powerful hardware refreshes. (There's a chance it will get the Tegra X2 instead, about which little is known - but that's pure speculation on our part, and it wouldn't fit Nintendo's usual preference for mature, cheap parts.) NX will instead be framed as a unique proposition: a portable console that seeks to erase the line between handheld and home gaming, supporting TV display at home and local multiplayer on the move. It's even turning its back on optical discs as a physical medium for games, opting for cartridges instead. The notable concession to normality appears to be a standard control set-up that should support most popular styles of console game.

Third-party publishers are not going to flock to this console; with its atypical specs and design and demographic, it's just too much effort to tailor to.

But let's not fool ourselves. The notion that Nintendo would, could or should try to compete with Microsoft and Sony in the 'traditional' games console market is deluded. It doesn't have the motivation those two conglomerates do to push their operating systems, online stores and content portfolios into people's homes. It doesn't have the stomach for the technological arms race they are initiating right now, with their cycle-breaking mid-generational updates. On a more fundamental level, its management doesn't see value in making the same product the others do. They think it would fail by the standards of the market (because it wouldn't take big chunks out of PlayStation and Xbox's businesses) and by their own standards (because it would be boring), and they're quite right.

Necessity is the mother of invention, and for all its apparent wackiness, NX is a child of necessity. It sounds disruptive, but it's actually cautiously strategic: a rearguard action on two fronts. Taking a historical view, Nintendo's success in home consoles is unpredictable, while its success in handheld consoles is dependable, but on the wane. As the firm strives to keep its hardware offering alive, it makes perfect sense to roll these two parts of the business into one, leaning heavily on its cast-iron grip on the portable market.

NX isn't just bean-counting, though; it speaks to Nintendo's very soul. The company has been trying, and usually failing, to synthesise handheld and TV gaming ever since the Link Cable for GameCube and Game Boy Advance. There's something about gaming as a tactile experience, in your hands, that has seemed philosophically important to Nintendo's designers ever since the days of Game & Watch. It must come as a huge relief to them that mobile technology is finally good enough that they don't have to choose any more.

NX is Nintendo's only realistic option. Doubling down on pure handhelds can only lead to diminishing returns at best. Competing with Sony and Microsoft would be even less likely to yield success, and more to the point, it would be pointless. The best route to graphically shiny Nintendo games delivered in a conventional format is for Nintendo to exit hardware altogether and become a third-party developer, addressing the biggest possible audience. If that is what the world really wants, then NX will fail and that is what it shall have.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They're right.:yeshrug:
Except everything "different" Nintendo tries sets them further back in the end. The Wii had early success but burned out and in the end was the best selling and first abandoned console last generation and it was different. The Wii U was different too and we saw how that turned out.

If we accept the premise that the core game market just doesn't have room for three conventional consoles to all be successful then if Nintendo wants to continue producing hardware this is their only option. People wanna dress this up but what clearly happened was the Wii U was such an abysmal failure as a home console it lead to Nintendo exiting the home console business altogether. The NX sounds like it's a portable and it's designed to be a portable first and furthermost. It just so happens to allow you to play on a TV if you desire.

I still believe Nintendo could work out a better royalty deal with hardware manufactures or hell just pick one like Sony and say if you want our home console games you can get them here. Let some other company that's better then them shore up their greatest weakness and focus on their strength.