Nintendo suing the creators of Switch Emulator Yuzu

Da King

Veteran
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
These lawsuits are always funny, because how many people never even heard of yuzu before today? now so many are rushing to download it because of how convenient it is when they never heard of it before this :mjlol:

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah...I don't think it matters if there's a free one or not. If they weren't getting money at all I could see a different story, then a lawsuit wouldn't be worth it since there's nothing to recoup. But they are. If they feel they've got something then go for it because I would and I do my fair share of shyt too

I can see the emulator makers saying what you said verbatim, that's cool it doesn't give links or w.e. It's apparently still popular enough of a service for people to access copyrighted material outside of Nintendo hardware and they are getting paid for the service, possibly costing Nintendo over 50 m's just off their service alone. Sorry....I'm blowing your shyt off the map. They've got enough to go after in my eyes, unless there's data that shows more people on the free version make up that million copies + any other game of theirs on there or something
They are paying for a software to emulate the games they own on their own switch. It’s not intended for piracy thus why nothing like keys or anything is promoted for the emulator. If I buy a gaming laptop to play backups of games that I own. Cracked games can be played on it also but it’s not intended to for piracy use. Should game companies go after laptop makers like Asus and Lenovo or steam deck for that matter?

It’s not the emulators fault for pirates that leaked the game and put their own encrypted keys for the game to be played. If you own a switch and you own the game you should be able to play the game however the fukk you like.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
They are paying for a software to emulate the games they own on their own switch. It’s not intended for piracy thus why nothing like keys or anything is promoted for the emulator. If I buy a gaming laptop to play backups of games that I own. Cracked games can be played on it also but it’s not intended to for piracy use. Should game companies go after laptop makers like Asus and Lenovo or steam deck for that matter?

It’s not the emulators fault for pirates that leaked the game and put their own encrypted keys for the game to be played. If you own a switch and you own the game you should be able to play the game however the fukk you like.
the lawsuit alleges they are pointing users towards this info

As you’ll see in the full complaint below, Nintendo suggests that Yuzu is facilitating that piracy in myriad ways, including providing “detailed instructions” on how to “get it running with unlawful copies of Nintendo Switch games,” testing thousands of official Nintendo Switch games to verify their compatibility, and linking to websites that help users “obtain and further distribute the prod.keys.” Nintendo also says the developers have clearly extracted Nintendo Switch games themselves, bypassing encryption, in order to test their own emulator.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Most cases like this, the goal isn't necessarily to win the case, but to drag it out enough to drain your ops of money, so they have no choice but to comply. Nintendo's case against Tropic Haze is weak, but if they win would make waves well beyond videogames. Nintendo's case is akin to Toyota suing a locksmith who teaches classes to other locksmiths on how to open Locked Toyotas, because the course materials were later used in a bunch of car break-ins.

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
The instructions is how to dump your own keys with your own switch. It doesn’t supply any keys and no Nintendo switch and games. Unlawful copies are the copies from leakers yuzu team is against pirating.
I'm not here to argue the case, just pointing out what Nintendo is claiming

in general, these emulators have to walk a thin line to not get themselves in trouble. I think the Yuza devs might have got too comfortable, and stepped over that line

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not here to argue the case, just pointing out what Nintendo is claiming

in general, these emulators have to walk a thin line to not get themselves in trouble. I think the Yuza devs might have got too comfortable, and stepped over that line
The only thing to me that is putting the target on they back is the patreon. But all the other shyt don’t hold weight. Getting rid of yuzu doesn’t not stop piracy. All this is Nintendo is shook because Nintendo Switch 2 is backwards compatible and they worried about the pirates coming through the back door. But the emulator isn’t the issue. The back door will still be opened on these hacked and modified og switches outchea if the switch 2 hardware is similar to the og.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Nintendo has tried this twice with Yuzu specifically and lost twice. Yuzu does not produce the keys. The user has to "generate" them

What's new this time is Nintendo is now going for losses due to leaks. This one might stick. I was in the discord when the Nintendo ninjas nuked it when Tears of the kingdom leaked :dead: Before they shut it down there was no less then 30 streams of the game going on in that discord. But at the same time it's not like anyone from the Yuzu team was the one that leaked the game. But you also can't deny that Yuzu's Pateron spiked during TOTK leak. This is where they went wrong.

The thing is though if this does stick then the Yuzu people will just rename the emulator and continue development as usual. Emulation itself is legal and the Yuzu emulator itself is open source. Nintendo is in a cycle when it comes to this. (Yuzu is not even the only working Switch emulator)

The "permanent" fix is stop releasing consoles that are 6 years behind tech wise so a PC can't easily emulate it. In case yall didn't know the PS4 can be modded as well. But it's no where near as widespread because you can't emulate it on PC.
All they would have to do is show their Patreon spiking when no game got leaked...and then what?

I don't see how Nintendo is going to win this. They are basically trying to make Yuzu take the blame for leaked games...even though Yuzu didn't leak the games.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
All they would have to do is show their Patreon spiking when no game got leaked...and then what?

I don't see how Nintendo is going to win this. They are basically trying to make Yuzu take the blame for leaked games...even though Yuzu didn't leak the games.

Looking into it more since my initial post this is way bigger then Yuzu. Which makes sense cause like i said Nintendo went after Yuzu twice already and loss.

Nintendo is basically going after emulation itself this time. Something I don't see them winning at all. Sony tried this already as well and loss. BUT if they do win this is gonna have a lot of ramifications down the line. Not just Yuzu.

Nintendo is basically saying using Yuzu in any capacity is illegal because in order to get the keys you have to mod your Nintendo switch and according to Nintendo that's unlawfully accessing their console.

A Video game emulator is a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games that were published only for a specific console on a general-purpose computing device. Yuzu allows Nintendo Switch games, which Nintendo authorizes for play solely on Nintendo Switch consoles, to be played on Windows, Linux, or Android systems. That means that people are able to play pirated Nintendo Switch games on PCs and Android devices, which would not otherwise be possible due to the protections that Nintendo has put into place on its consoles and games.

"Nintendo also has technological measures on the Nintendo Switch console itself, including additional layers of encryption, which prevent users from unlawfully accessing or modifying the console—including to procure the prod.keys—and from accessing or copying games stored on the console or on a cartridge inserted in the console"

I don't see Nintendo winning this but if they do Emulation/General Computing itself is under attack not just Yuzu. Gonna be a interesting case. But i also can see the Yuzu team just caving into whatever nintendo wants as well and starting over. It's basically what happened with the Skyline android app.

Last edited:

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps
Maybe Nintendo will win.. since yuzu have a Patreon that makes like 40k a month.. profiting of unauthorized emulation/piracy is a no go

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Looking into it more since my initial post this is way bigger then Yuzu. Which makes sense cause like i said Nintendo went after Yuzu twice already and loss.

Nintendo is basically going after emulation itself this time. Something I don't see them winning at all. Sony tried this already as well and loss. BUT if they do win this is gonna have a lot of ramifications down the line. Not just Yuzu.

Nintendo is basically saying using Yuzu in any capacity is illegal because in order to get the keys you have to mod your Nintendo switch and according to Nintendo that's unlawfully accessing their console.

A Video game emulator is a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games that were published only for a specific console on a general-purpose computing device. Yuzu allows Nintendo Switch games, which Nintendo authorizes for play solely on Nintendo Switch consoles, to be played on Windows, Linux, or Android systems. That means that people are able to play pirated Nintendo Switch games on PCs and Android devices, which would not otherwise be possible due to the protections that Nintendo has put into place on its consoles and games.

"Nintendo also has technological measures on the Nintendo Switch console itself, including additional layers of encryption, which prevent users from unlawfully accessing or modifying the console—including to procure the prod.keys—and from accessing or copying games stored on the console or on a cartridge inserted in the console"

I don't see Nintendo winning this but if they do Emulation/General Computing itself is under attack not just Yuzu. Gonna be a interesting case. But i also can see the Yuzu team just caving into whatever nintendo wants as well and starting over. It's basically what happened with the Skyline android app.
Makes more sense but still don't see how they are going to win. The primary reason no one can defeat emulation in court is that it's also viewed as a way to make backup copies of things you legally own. Once it goes down that path whatever company suing typically has to hold that L.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Maybe Nintendo will win.. since yuzu have a Patreon that makes like 40k a month.. profiting of unauthorized emulation/piracy is a no go
I feel like this is an interesting segment of this lawsuit.

Granted... What really will stand out is that Switch emulation became a thing like halfway through it's life cycle and became playable due to it's weak hardware. Which is unprecedented.

Legally... I think they can probably dig up some technicality with some of following above, but winning a case on all grounds. It's extremely unlikely.

Getting to profit off an emulator just feels dangerous. If Yuzu would of blown up post Switch. I don't think this lawsuit gets filed.