Nintendo breaks record for highest operating profit earned in a fiscal year by a console maker

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Nintendo's Online sucks but they have no real incentive to go and upgrade it outside of "we want our consumers to have a better time." Their 3 biggest selling exclusives are all MP-based, 2 of which have pushed 30m+, which is around the same as the best selling Call of Duty game, and that shyt moves on multiple consoles with better online experiences. That data to me suggests they have no real reason to give a shyt. I wish they would, but they really don't have to when the people will buy it regardless. We don't have any real evidence that their online infrastructure is holding them back, especially in a thread where we're talking about how they broke the record for highest operating profit in a fiscal year. What they're doing works, so they aren't really incentivized to change it. :yeshrug:

Daps
Nintendo's Online sucks but they have no real incentive to go and upgrade it outside of "we want our consumers to have a better time." Their 3 biggest selling exclusives are all MP-based, 2 of which have pushed 30m+, which is around the same as the best selling Call of Duty game, and that shyt moves on multiple consoles with better online experiences. That data to me suggests they have no real reason to give a shyt. I wish they would, but they really don't have to when the people will buy it regardless. We don't have any real evidence that their online infrastructure is holding them back, especially in a thread where we're talking about how they broke the record for highest operating profit in a fiscal year. What they're doing works, so they aren't really incentivized to change it. :yeshrug:
business 101 :yeshrug:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
In business what works today doesn't necessarily work tomorrow. You have to be forward thinking about where things will go next. The businesses that only concern themselves about what works today become ths Sears of tomorrow. At one point Sears was a retail juggernaut and today look at them.

Look at Apple. They dominated phones and are looking at how to move to services, cars, and other avenues. They know in a decade if they don't move past just the iPhone they'll suffer.

Nintendo is damn near Disney in terms of iconic characters. They should look to leverage that because I don't think they're interested in games as a service.

Half A $

Pro
Daps

7 years ago Sony put out that video about sharing physical games. Now people don’t even care about having physical games. It just seems like inside the next decade gaming like almost every other form of entertainment media will transition to a cloud based subscription model. Gaming in the console space is gonna mostly bypass that phase where people mostly buy games digitally and transition to both digital and cloud subscription at the same time. Maybe Nintendo toughs it out and tries to keep proprietary gaming hardware going but when people can play their games across many devices at no additional charge why will they want to pay high prices for dedicated gaming hardware?

• Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 35.39M
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 32.63M
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 23.84M
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 22.28M
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield - 21.10M
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 20.83M
  • Super Mario Party - 14.79M
  • Pokémon: Let's Go! - 13.28M
  • Splatoon 2 - 12.21M
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 10.44M
  • Ring Fit Adventure - 10.11M
  • Mario 3D All-Stars - 9.01M
  • 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 5.59M
Even if half of these sales are digitial Nintendo still moves move physical games than MS does combined :mjlol:

MS "We've never made profit on console hardware" :russ:

This is who you stan?:picard:

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I definitely helped contribute, I bought a Switch last January went crazy a copped 5 games with it:francis:

And that was just the first month...

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I definitely helped contribute, I bought a Switch last January went crazy a copped 5 games with it:francis:

And that was just the first month...

I have at least 20 game for switch and most of them i bought at full price. Thats what happens when you don’t really have a lot of 3rd party offerings high 1st party attach rate. Outside of nintendo is basically indies

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
  • Splatoon 2 - 12.21M
Even if half of these sales are digitial Nintendo still moves move physical games than MS does combined :mjlol:

I don’t Stan anyone. Microsoft is a $2 trillion dollar company. Nintendo is an $83 billion dollar company. Video games is a side project to Microsoft at this point. Video games is most of what Nintendo is. Nintendo has to profit off everything they do. Short and long term they’re profit driven. They profit off console sales even. Microsoft has almost always manufactured consoles at a loss to then sell software.

Last quarter Microsoft brought in about half of Nintendo’s entire worth as a company in three months of revenue. Their net income in a single quarter was about a fifth of Nintendo’s entire market cap as a company. They can really afford to burn money while they scale their game subscription service. In fact it’s almost criminally unfair they can afford to burn money at the rate they do and have it not really impact their finances. If Nintendo attempted to do they they’d probably go out of business.

Nintendo hasn’t tried to complete in hardware specs with any competitors in about 20 years.

Fani Willis fan

Man What
Daps
  • Splatoon 2 - 12.21M

Mario Party doing 15 million is criminal, i know at least 14 mil regret buying it

Fani Willis fan

Man What
Daps
Mario 3D All Stars is far more offensive, the laziest port ever, full priced, and given limited availability selling almost 10 million copies.
The consumers aren’t educated on what they’re buying. I would never buy emulations for $60

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
At this point, Nintendo is going to be around another 100 years, easily. Their games from previous gens still sell like hotcakes.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
At this point, Nintendo is going to be around another 100 years, easily. Their games from previous gens still sell like hotcakes.
Hell within 20 years I don’t think anyone will be buying physical game media or game consoles anymore. All these companies are gonna be looking to subscription based streaming for a constant guaranteed revenue stream. If Nintendo is still around I doubt they’ll still be doing business the same way they do today. People’s love for physical media dies fast. When I was a kid we bought individual CDs. There’s a whole generation of kids that can’t even conceive buying individual albums or physical albums. Owning a console will be like owning a VCR.

All I’m saying is the Nintendo we have right now doesn’t seem to be gearing up for a transition like that. Maybe they get with Microsoft and use Azure or something though. It’s not like Nintendo doesn’t have the franchises to go that route.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Hell within 20 years I don’t think anyone will be buying physical game media or game consoles anymore. All these companies are gonna be looking to subscription based streaming for a constant guaranteed revenue stream. If Nintendo is still around I doubt they’ll still be doing business the same way they do today. People’s love for physical media dies fast. When I was a kid we bought individual CDs. There’s a whole generation of kids that can’t even conceive buying individual albums or physical albums. Owning a console will be like owning a VCR.

All I’m saying is the Nintendo we have right now doesn’t seem to be gearing up for a transition like that. Maybe they get with Microsoft and use Azure or something though. It’s not like Nintendo doesn’t have the franchises to go that route.

Alien will invade earth before people stop buying nintendo games. Mario 64 in standard 480p resolution with the same fukked up camera just released 30 years later and sold over 9 million copies. Nintendo can do this forever.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Alien will invade earth before people stop buying nintendo games. Mario 64 in standard 480p resolution with the same fukked up camera just released 30 years later and sold over 9 million copies. Nintendo can do this forever.
I know people don’t like it but the business model where people go out and buy proprietary consoles and games for them is going to expire. You can look at all the other forms of media to see where this is going. Nintendo won’t be able to block off their old games on previous hardware and resell those same games to people every 5 or so years forever.

It’s up to Nintendo how they adapt to that but if they refuse to adapt at all it’s likely not gonna be a good result. Look at the gimmicks they’re engaging in now. Artificial scarcity of Disney vaulting old games even pulling them off digital stores to try and drum up more sales. Refusing to re-establish the virtual console. Nintendo is knee deep in exploiting their customer base and milking them.

The best selling Switch game is a slightly enhanced Wii U port of Mario Kart. I really wish they’d start thinking outside of their strict confines of the Blue Ocean strategy they been on for 3 generations now and evolve into the future. Too many companies find success and then start resisting change.