Nintendo breaks record for highest operating profit earned in a fiscal year by a console maker

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Nintendo shyts on customers to the max.

Their profit ain’t nothing to celebrate unless you own some Nintendo stock or something.

They have such high profit cause they got some of the shyttiest practices in the industry. Cheaply made expensive hardware. Low budget games for big budget prices. Putting out the same games over and over again for full price. Little side fukkery projects like Labo that make them a bunch of money and they then abandon in two months.

fukk Nintendo and their “profit” :pacspit:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They charging $60 for Skyward Sword HD. Purposely left Mario Galaxy 2 off the $60 Switch port collection.

Chill on charging full retail for decades old games that are barely better than upconverted ports.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They charging $60 for Skyward Sword HD. Purposely left Mario Galaxy 2 off the $60 Switch port collection.

Chill on charging full retail for decades old games that are barely better than upconverted ports.

Just proves that the vast majority of people who play games don’t give a shyt about spending 60 dollars on them. :yeshrug:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Just proves that the vast majority of people who play games don’t give a shyt about spending 60 dollars on them. :yeshrug:
Eventually business that engage in practices like that end up like cable TV jacking the price up on a shrinking customer base that's tired of being exploited.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I know people don’t like it but the business model where people go out and buy proprietary consoles and games for them is going to expire. You can look at all the other forms of media to see where this is going. Nintendo won’t be able to block off their old games on previous hardware and resell those same games to people every 5 or so years forever.

It’s up to Nintendo how they adapt to that but if they refuse to adapt at all it’s likely not gonna be a good result. Look at the gimmicks they’re engaging in now. Artificial scarcity of Disney vaulting old games even pulling them off digital stores to try and drum up more sales. Refusing to re-establish the virtual console. Nintendo is knee deep in exploiting their customer base and milking them.

The best selling Switch game is a slightly enhanced Wii U port of Mario Kart. I really wish they’d start thinking outside of their strict confines of the Blue Ocean strategy they been on for 3 generations now and evolve into the future. Too many companies find success and then start resisting change.

Ok, so I know what you are trying to say. All of your points make sense and are based on logic, historical data and estimated future trends.

That said, what some of us in this thread are trying to say is that Nintendo historically works outside of current trends and in some cases are below industry standards while still being very successful.

For example, ‘game sales/bundles’. Nintendo rarely puts their titles on sale and they don’t drop the prices of their old games. This is despite the fact that data shows sales are beneficial and every other platform holder/media company does this.

Online infrastructure/play. What they have is abysmal by 2021 standards and they are showing no signs of improving it and this also doesnt appear to negatively impact their business. This is despite the fact that online play has exploded in recent years.

Selling super old games for high prices. MS has included some legacy titles in game pass, Sony has included some legacy titles in PS NOW.

There are probably more but the point is that Nintendo carves out their own niche. This is because the most important thing in this post physical media/digital world is IP. They have powerful IP and they will continue to sell it to people full price as long as there is a ‘market’.

Based on the most recent data we have, this ‘market’ is not showing signs of slowing down and for that reason, its hard to imagine them changing course despite what everyone else is doing.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Imagine the numbers an online Pokemn MMORPG would make...

Gamefreak making an online MMORPG Pokemon game?

On a Nintendo's online service?

7LtG.gif

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps

I won't defend the whole Mario 3D collection thing. but I'm sure it sold 5 mill due to it being limited yes that was scummy. The Skyward thing is literally what someone mentioned earlier in the thread about Nintendo's IP being able to sell through out gens to a new generation of their fanbase that they continue to cater to. I've seen some polls and there's a good amount of people on those polls that have never played or even heard of Skyward Sword. I'm not sure what business would go out of their way to ignore a huge market of gamers who haven't touched their products. I keep reminding y'all Capcom sold Ultra SF 2 to switch owners for 70 bucks then decided to release a collection on the damn thing not too long after both of which did well by Capcom's standards.

these companies will do this if they see an untapped market out there.

BaviKingVA

Live every day like it's your last
Supporter
Daps
Ninty is just swimming in money like the DS days. Glad to see OGs doing well.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I won't defend the whole Mario 3D collection thing. but I'm sure it sold 5 mill due to it being limited yes that was scummy. The Skyward thing is literally what someone mentioned earlier in the thread about Nintendo's IP being able to sell through out gens to a new generation of their fanbase that they continue to cater to. I've seen some polls and there's a good amount of people on those polls that have never played or even heard of Skyward Sword. I'm not sure what business would go out of their way to ignore a huge market of gamers who haven't touched their products. I keep reminding y'all Capcom sold Ultra SF 2 to switch owners for 70 bucks then decided to release a collection on the damn thing not too long after both of which did well by Capcom's standards.

these companies will do this if they see an untapped market out there.
They not putting full retail level work in that SS port. It isn’t a remake it’s a remaster. Should be discounted. I know they can get away with it but it’s still pretty bad.