Nintendo breaks record for highest operating profit earned in a fiscal year by a console maker

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Games, games, games! Thats all that matters in the publics eyes. And with Nintendo selling them at full price with very (if any) brief sales at that since the Switch launch.

All of Nintendo’s money stays with them since, as shown, its all 1st party. They dont have to pay out 3rd parties like the other 2 companies. When Nintendo does well, its good for Nintendo, when the other 2 do well, its better for the industry at large.

That said, Nintendo does get passes in the media that the other 2 don’t. Don’t get me wrong, their IP is strong, but they are just releasing the same franchises they’ve always been for at least 2 decades. How many Mario Kart, Zelda, Animal Crossing etc games are they gonna release? If the other 2 did this, media would call out ‘franchise fatigue’ or look at it differently.

Also, I don’t compare Switch sales success to other home consoles. I would compare it to handheld. I mean, they released a cheaper Switch (the lite) a couple of years back and it can’t be connected to an external display and its success is counted towards overall Switch number. The two markets between home console and handheld are separate. The Switch competition is more iPhone/mobile than Xbox/Playstation.

Brief Keef

Superstar
Daps
zelda doin 22 mil after 30 yrs in the game :wow: wild its popularity only got stronger

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Nintendo doesn't give a fukk and has some of the shiestiest business practices in history, and people stay buying their shyt. Goes to show you as long as you got good games people will put themselves through torture for your product.

Yeah who'd think that having dope interesting games is what people want from a console.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
I wonder why Metroid doesn’t get that same love.
Probably the genre, even metroid clones which are very popular nowadays by indie studios aren't crazy sellers

Thank God nintendo cared enough about the series to cut their losses and restarted development on prime 4

Another mainline "other M" type dud and the metroid series would have went into hibernation for the foreseeable future.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Nintendo has just announced its financial results for the full fiscal year ending March 2021 which were record breaking.

E0r72VnXEAAU_zq

In particular the operating profit for the full fiscal year amounted to 640.63 Bn yen which is the highest ever recorded in a fiscal year by any console manufacturer (company or console division in the case of mega corporations).
The previous record holder was Nintendo’s fiscal year ending March 2009 which was the peak of the Wii/DS business.

It is probable that the Switch era will be more profitable than the Wii/DS era for Nintendo.

Top 5 highest operating profits recorded by any console manufacturer (company or console division in the case of mega corporations) until now:

Manufacturer | Fiscal Year | Operating Profits
Nintendo, FY ending March 2021: 640.63 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2009: 555.26 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2008: 487.22 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2010: 356.57 Bn yen
Nintendo, FY ending March 2020: 352.37 Bn yen

updated sales numbers as of March 31, 2021:
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 35.39M
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 32.63M
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 23.84M
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 22.28M
  • Pokémon Sword/Shield - 21.10M
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 20.83M
  • Super Mario Party - 14.79M
  • Pokémon: Let's Go! - 13.28M
  • Splatoon 2 - 12.21M
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 10.44M
  • Ring Fit Adventure - 10.11M
  • Mario 3D All-Stars - 9.01M
  • 3D World + Bowser's Fury - 5.59M

Why does NIntendo need Xcloud again? :patrice:
As technology advances we will reach a point where people really don’t need to buy dedicated hardware to play games. People will look at dedicated gaming hardware like they look at an ultra HD Blu-Ray player. Why do I even need that?

Samsung for example stopped making Blu-Ray players. Buying a $300 console and a game is almost the equivalent of 3 years of a streaming service. That 3 years gets you a library of hundreds of games playable across many devices. The hardware and a single game get you just that.

We’re not quite there yet but we’ve gotten pretty close to that. Imagine the bs of trying to nab a PS5 rendered moot because you don’t need the hardware at all.

Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Nvidia all these tech giants are laying the tracks for cloud gaming services. Are we really suggesting that’s not going to be a viable business model going forward?

Nintendo is well suited to the market of today. I’d have concerns with them and pivoting on advanced tech when they’ve constantly shown reluctance to embrace new trends. Their entire business model is deeply rooted in them selling you expensive proprietary hardware. Sony and Microsoft both have a way forward when consumers no longer want to buy that.

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
As technology advances we will reach a point where people really don’t need to buy dedicated hardware to play games. People will look at dedicated gaming hardware like they look at an ultra HD Blu-Ray player. Why do I even need that?

Samsung for example stopped making Blu-Ray players. Buying a $300 console and a game is almost the equivalent of 3 years of a streaming service. That 3 years gets you a library of hundreds of games playable across many devices. The hardware and a single game get you just that.

We’re not quite there yet but we’ve gotten pretty close to that. Imagine the bs of trying to nab a PS5 rendered moot because you don’t need the hardware at all.

Apple, Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Nvidia all these tech giants are laying the tracks for cloud gaming services. Are we really suggesting that’s not going to be a viable business model going forward?

Nintendo is well suited to the market of today. I’d have concerns with them and pivoting on advanced tech when they’ve constantly shown reluctance to embrace new trends. Their entire business model is deeply rooted in them selling you expensive proprietary hardware. Sony and Microsoft both have a way forward when consumers no longer want to buy that.

I agree with that to a point. But Nintendo is just different. Its hard to imagine a time when a Nintendo handheld will not dominate sales.

Even when we are 5-10 years into cloud gaming being viable, if Nintendo releases a handheld, it will do numbers. Especially if its the only place to play animal crossing/smash bros etc. And as long as the market/interest is there, companies will support it (unlike Blu Rays).

Videogames are a different breed of fandom and entertainment.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
I agree with that to a point. But Nintendo is just different. Its hard to imagine a time when a Nintendo handheld will not dominate sales.

Even when we are 5-10 years into cloud gaming being viable, if Nintendo releases a handheld, it will do numbers. Especially if its the only place to play animal crossing/smash bros etc. And as long as the market/interest is there, companies will support it (unlike Blu Rays).

Yeah Nintendo isn't going anywhere because of handhelds. I can see consoles being a thing of the past within about 15 years though. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony comes out with a Playstation TV, that serves every function (I figured they would of been did that honestly) and do away with Playstations. Microsoft is gonna make boatloads of money with Gamepass on every platform imaginable.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

7 years ago Sony put out that video about sharing physical games. Now people don’t even care about having physical games. It just seems like inside the next decade gaming like almost every other form of entertainment media will transition to a cloud based subscription model. Gaming in the console space is gonna mostly bypass that phase where people mostly buy games digitally and transition to both digital and cloud subscription at the same time. Maybe Nintendo toughs it out and tries to keep proprietary gaming hardware going but when people can play their games across many devices at no additional charge why will they want to pay high prices for dedicated gaming hardware?