Nightmare at the Box Office. WORST SUMMER SINCE 97.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
You cant label films flops or successes based on just domestic numbers.

You also clearly referenced planet of the apes worldwide numbers in your post.

Domestics are down across the board and worldwide is up across the board.

I only brought that up with Apes cause it was a 1st for a franchise that's over 50 years old, Even if you take out worldwide numbers, No Apes movie did 200 Million domestic, "Dawn" was the 1st. Domestic is still the name of the game cause studios get a higher percentage of Domestic numbers. "Transformers 4" did 300 Million in China and China retains over 75% of that. Again worldwide numbers grosses do not all go to the studio. I do think we are going to a more "Global" format though as overseas markets are expanding.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
people came out in droves to watch a GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY movie.

I said "Guardians" did good but if "Doing Good" is barely getting 300 Million in the summer with higher prices and 3D than that's not really doing "That" good. But yes considering how "Unknown" they were to general audiences. "Guardians" exceeded expectations.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
There was a lot more variety when we were kids. Nowadays every damn Summer movie is about someone/something trying to blow up the world and someone having the save it. I'm tired of citywide destruction. There's no more mystery, intrigue.. where are the crime dramas or the period pieces? Where are the edge of your seat thrillers? They exist but you have to go searching for them. They're no longer marketed to the mainstream public.

I couldn't fukk with Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Sin City, Expendables, etc.. They all seemed generic :manny:

Daps
Reppin
NYC
I said "Guardians" did good but if "Doing Good" is barely getting 300 Million in the summer with higher prices and 3D than that's not really doing "That" good. But yes considering how "Unknown" they were to general audiences. "Guardians" exceeded expectations.

but that's what i'm sayin. if an unknown concept like guardians can draw in the attendance with the right marketing than obviously the decline in ticket sales isn't indicative of any "trend" at all. just that there weren't enough big drawing movies this summer.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
The article said "Worst since 1997" well The #1 and #2 movies of 1997 was:

#1: Men in Black: 250 Million
#2: Jurassic Park II: The Lost World: 229 Million

Just from a Domestic standpoint, only "X: Men, Maleficent, Transformers" did better than "JP2" and none of them did better than "Men in Black". "Guardians" is the only film that did better than both from the summer. But Adjusted for Inflation it blows "Guardians" out of the water. "Men in Black" made 445,125,900 and "The Lost World" made "$406,766,100". That just shows you how things have changed as far as ticket sales in the last 17 years. Here's the full Inflation list for the Top 100:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Daps
Reppin
NYC
There was a lot more variety when we were kids. Nowadays every damn Summer movie is about someone/something trying to blow up the world and someone having the save it. I'm tired of citywide destruction. There's no more mystery, intrigue.. where are the crime dramas or the period pieces? Where are the edge of your seat thrillers? They exist but you have to go searching for them. They're no longer marketed to the mainstream public.

I couldn't fukk with Transformers, Ninja Turtles, Sin City, Expendables, etc.. They all seemed generic :manny:

sure they are.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
I'm glad Summer's over. We got a couple of good flicks to finish out the year:

220px-The_Equalizer_poster.jpg

220px-Nightcrawlerfilm.jpg

220px-Interstellar_film_poster.jpg

I always look out for Denzel Movies.
I always look out for Nolan movies.
And NightCrawler looks legit

Daps
Reppin
NYC
The article said "Worst since 1997" well The #1 and #2 movies of 1997 was:

#1: Men in Black: 250 Million
#2: Jurassic Park II: The Lost World: 229 Million

Adjusted for Inflation "Men in Black" made 445,125,900 and "The Lost World" made "$406,766,100". That just shows you how things have changed as far as ticket sales in the last 17 years. Here's the full Inflation list for the Top 100:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

come on now all you're doin is lookin at the facts and not takin into account what contributes to those facts.

jurassic park 2 was the sequel to one of the biggest movies of all time and men in black was riding high off the will smith craze after independence day.

lol remember the men in black song? shyt was huge.

will smith was everywhere.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
come on now all you're doin is lookin at the facts and not takin into account what contributes to those facts.

jurassic park 2 was the sequel to one of the biggest movies of all time and men in black was riding high off the will smith craze after independence day.

lol remember the men in black song? shyt was huge.

will smith was everywhere.

LOL, True. But ironically JP2 did not gross more than the orignal and "Men and Black" did not gross more than "Independence Day" but both were still a success. But I think the point is the BIggest Blockbusters of the 90's are still bigger than Today's Blockbusters. But there's a few that can compete. Both "Hunger Games" movies have done over 400 Million domestic. "Iron Man 3" did over 400 Million Domestic. "The Dark Knight Rises" did over 450. "The Dark Knight" did over 500. "Avatar" and "The Avengers" did over 600. So There have been heavy hitters this decade but there were more in the 80's and 90's. Here's something to think about. "Batman and Robin" was released that summer in 97. It temporally killed the Batman Franchise. Well it adjust to 190 Million which would make it a Top 10 grossing film of 2014. LOL.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

You make some good points. It seems the screenwriters in Hollywood are all being recycled and some new blood needs to come in. "The Avengers" copied the "Transformers 3" ending. How many Marvel movies or Blockbusters has a Ship or Plane falling from the Sky? I can think of 3 off the top of my head, "Captain America 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Trek into Darkness". The city wide Destruction has also like you said they OD'd on. Originality is lacking and they are paying the price. Amazing how bad "Sin City 2" bombed. Wow. I think "Expendables" would of done better if it didn't leak. I mean it's core demo wasn't going to pay to see it after it leaked.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
there were less movies bein put out back in the day so the big spectacle movies stood out more. they weren't just summer blockbusters they were like moments in time. they galvanized the culture. jurassic park, terminator 2, independence day... those movies literally had everyone at attention. they were true event films.

these days there's movies like that being released every other week so it becomes much harder to stand out, but that's not to say we still don't get them. dark knight was definitely one of those movies. an instant classic. same with avengers. event movies still happen.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Edge of Tomorrow was fukking flames :whoo:

Love the movie, one of the best of the summer but it cost 170 Million to make and made about 365 Worldwide which sadly is definitely an underperformer by Tom Cruise standards. With that said it crawled it's way to 100 Million Domestic and that would make the film Tom Cruise's 16th 100 Million Dollar Film as the "LEAD" in a movie. That just amazing. Oh and Tom got his 17th 100 Million Film already. "Mission Impossible 5" drops next year.

ht_mission_impossible_ghost_protocol_thg_111215_wblog.jpg