Nightmare at the Box Office. WORST SUMMER SINCE 97.

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
wondering if streaming might kill the movie industry like napster and downloading music killed the music industry...obviously it took years for the internet to affect movies because download speeds have just recently in the last few years gotten to the point where its possible to stream and download movies without much of a hitch

I honestly used to enjoy the excitement of actually getting an album on release date and just listening to it straight through ...fukk all you free loaders honestly

Daps
Reppin
NYC
nah sorry that whole article is bs.

everyone knew heading into this summer movie season that there weren't any "event" films anywhere in the lineup. they still made a shytload of money but the fact that none of them crossed the 300 mil mark isn't surprising to me at all.

next year we got avengers 2 and star wars comin up... let's see what the "trends" say then.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
gonna take my son to see Turtles again
this fukking kid
NOW he's on some turtle shyt
I done downloaded all the old 80s/90s joints dude styled on me
now he wanna be all about the shyt
I spent $200 on amazon getting this dweeb of a kid some old TMNT toys
dont EVER have kids yall

OG_StankBrefs

Da Spice...
Daps
Reppin
Caladan
nikkas wanna see a refreshingly dope film? Peep dis joint:

coherence_xlg.jpg

Wifey and I saw it last night. shyt was :whoo: :yes:

Mah fault for da derail. Just wanted to drop da recommendation.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
nah sorry that whole article is bs.

everyone knew heading into this summer movie season that there weren't any "event" films anywhere in the lineup. they still made a shytload of money but the fact that none of them crossed the 300 mil mark isn't surprising to me at all.

next year we got avengers 2 and star wars comin up... let's see what the "trends" say then.

It's sad that the highest grossing movie of the year int he US will be that Hunger Games movie that drops in Nov. I'm sorry but that just shows you how weak the summer was when Winter movies are now dominating. Yes the line up was pretty weak in Hindsight. A Transformers sequel without any original cast members returning ended up becoming the Event film by default. They are lucky it did a Billion. But I think this summer did have a few surprises:

Guardians: Everyone thought it might flop but it won the summer Domestic
22 Jump St: It grossed more than the original domestic and worldwide
Maleficent: Angie proved her Star Power cause this was a dark spin on the Sleepy Beauty tale but it connected around the world.
Lucy: Scarjo came into her own, nobody thought this would do 100 Million
Planet of the Apes 8: The 8th film of the franchise became the highest grossing of the series. Nobody thought an Apes movie could pull 500 Million Worldwide.
Ninja Turles: I mean every wanted it flop but they were so wrong.

FLOPS OF THE SUMMER

Expendales 3: The leak hurt it badly
Sin City 2: Horrible numbers
How to Train Your Dragon 2: I don't know what happen
Edge of Tomorrow: Great film but for Tom to struggle to get 100 Million was hard to watch.
A million ways to die out west: Seth had a huge hit with "Ted" and now he's got his 1st flop
Get on up: Sad but nobody came out to support James Brown
Earth to Echo: Sorry but nobody wanted to see a wannabe E.T., they'd just watch the real thing

The Global Box Office exploded. Films like X-men, Transformers 4 and Amazing Spidey 2 were saved by Worldwide numbers. Transformers 4 did over 300 Million in China alone making that the #1 gross in a single territory for the year. As for 2015. What makes you think things will change? Sure Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 will do crazy numbers but what about everything else? Those two films can't pull the weight for the whole industry.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
It's sad that the highest grossing movie of the year int he US will be that Hunger Games movie that drops in Nov. I'm sorry but that just shows you how weak the summer was when Winter movies are now dominating. Yes the line up was pretty weak in Hindsight. A Transformers sequel without any original cast members returning ended up becoming the Event film by default. They are lucky it did a Billion. But I think this summer did have a few surprises:

Guardians: Everyone thought it might flop but it won the summer Domestic
22 Jump St: It grossed more than the original domestic and worldwide
Maleficent: Angie proved her Star Power cause this was a dark spin on the Sleepy Beauty tale but it connected around the world.
Lucy: Scarjo came into her own, nobody thought this would do 100 Million
Planet of the Apes 8: The 8th film of the franchise became the highest grossing of the series. Nobody thought an Apes movie could pull 500 Million Worldwide.
Ninja Turles: I mean every wanted it flop but they were so wrong.

FLOPS OF THE SUMMER

Expendales 3: The leak hurt it badly
Sin City 2: Horrible numbers
How to Train Your Dragon 2: I don't know what happen
Edge of Tomorrow: Great film but for Tom to struggle to get 100 Million was hard to watch.
A million ways to die out west: Seth had a huge hit with "Ted" and now he's got his 1st flop
Get on up: Sad but nobody came out to support James Brown
Earth to Echo: Sorry but nobody wanted to see a wannabe E.T., they'd just watch the real thing

The Global Box Office exploded. Films like X-men, Transformers 4 and Amazing Spidey 2 were saved by Worldwide numbers. Transformers 4 did over 300 Million in China alone making that the #1 gross in a single territory for the year. As for 2015. What makes you think things will change? Sure Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 will do crazy numbers but what about everything else? Those two films can't pull the weight for the whole industry.
A million ways to die in the west made 85 million on a 40 million budget. Thats not a flop.

How to train your dragon 2 made 585 million on a 145 million budget. Thats not a flop.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
A million ways to die in the west made 85 million on a 40 million budget. Thats not a flop.

Marketing cost and theater owners get a percentage of the box office. Also worldwide numbers aren't not given the same percentage as it's based on territory. Meaning a film has to Triple for do 4x's it's budget to see a profit. By Hollywood Standards it's a Flop but not a huge flop. Also let's not forget he's coming off "Ted" which did 500 Million Worldwide off a 50 Million budget only 8 million more than this.

Ted - 500 Million (50 Million budget)
A million ways to die - 85 Million (42 Million Budget)

Sorry return on investment way to low. No wonder they got "Ted 2" fast tracked for next year.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Marketing cost and theater owners get a percentage of the box office. Also worldwide numbers aren't not given the same percentage as it's based on territory. Meaning a film has to Triple for do 4x's it's budget to see a profit. By Hollywood Standards it's a Flop but not a huge flop.
Films do NOT have to make 3x the budget. Double is the rule of thumb.

You also have turtles as a success which Has made 243 million on a 125 million budget.

Gotg has made 503 million on a 170 million budget.

But yet you have how to train your dragon 2 as a flop though it made 585 million on a 145 million budget.

Daps
Reppin
NYC

that was the 5th spidey movie
that was the 5th x men movie
that was the 4th transformers movie

those franchises saw their peak already. not surprising that their 4th and 5th installments aren't out there breakin records. they ain't as fresh right now. never for a second did i expect any one of those to cross the 300 mil mark.

look at how many people showed up for guardians. you know why? cause no one has ever seen them before. if the first ever guardians movie could do numbers like that then picture theoretically how well the first ever spidey movie could have done in this same climate.

so sorry i'm not buyin the "people don't like goin to the movies as much anymore" nonsense. if a movie is a draw then people will go.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Films do NOT have to make 3x the budget. Double is the rule of thumb.

You also have turtles as a success which Has made 243 million on a 125 million budget.

Gotg has made 503 million on a 170 million budget.

But yet you have how to train your dragon 2 as a flop though it made 585 million on a 145 million budget.

My post is talking about Domestic numbers. As well as the Article.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
that was the 5th spidey movie
that was the 5th x men movie
that was the 4th transformers movie

those franchises saw their peak already. not surprising that their 4th and 5th installments aren't out there breakin records. they ain't as fresh right now. never for a second did i expect any one of those to cross the 300 mil mark.

look at how many people showed up for guardians. you know why? cause no one has ever seen them before. if the first ever guardians movie could do numbers like that then picture theoretically how well the first ever spidey movie could have done in this same climate.

so sorry i'm not buyin the "people don't like goin to the movies as much anymore" nonsense. if a movie is a draw then people will go.

You keep saying your not buying it but the numbers show attendance is down. That can't be disputed. You blame it on a weak slate but the reality is people skipped out on going to the movies this summer as the attendance is the lowest is almost 20 years. That's pretty alarming. Also if Shia came back TF4 would of done 300 Million no question. I do agree that there was some Franchise fatigue and Comic Book movie Fatigue as far as Domestic numbers.

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
My post is talking about Domestic numbers. As well as the Article.
You cant label films flops or successes based on just domestic numbers.

You also clearly referenced planet of the apes worldwide numbers in your post.

Domestics are down across the board and worldwide is up across the board.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
You keep saying your not buying it but the numbers show attendance is down. That can't be disputed. You blame it on a weak slate but the reality is people skipped out on going to the movies this summer as the attendance is the lowest is almost 20 years. That's pretty alarming. Also if Shia came back TF4 would of done 300 Million no question. I do agree that there was some Franchise fatigue and Comic Book movie Fatigue as far as Domestic numbers.

people came out in droves to watch a GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY movie.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Also I should be more specific. There's a difference between "A Flop" and a film that "Under performs". "Dragon 2" under performed as it gross less than the 1st film domestic even though it increased worldwide.