Nicki Minaj, Hot 97 & hypocrisy in Hip Hop

Hussein Fonzarelli

The Whitey Corp.
Daps
all those artists bit off eachother anyway

you're taking it as if he meant "white people can't make music"

No no no, Im takin it as "we are solely responsible for such and such"

No you aint. Nobodys responsible for those types of things, the creative stuff.

The only thing we have in this dumb ass world that separate us from animales, the power to CREATE, to make something out of pure imagination.......we tryin badge it to ourselves and hold it?

fukk it.

Music is music, it aint no color exclusively responsible for it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Starships as obviously a pop song....

But lets talk about whats been allowed to happen to urban music...

I have an issue with the messenger more than the message...

Peter Rosenberg is no more hip hop than Nicki...Infact he should ALWAYS be viewed as an outsider from people that truely care about the culture..

Hip hop was formed on 3 major concepts or principles that people keep trying to ignore..

1-It's an art form created for and by the youth..

2-It's an art form created for and by innercity/urban/street kids..

3-It's an art form created for an by Blacks and Latinos (minorities)

By those standards of the purity and origin of "real hip hop" Rosenberg is 0 for 3..He's a 36 year old, white guy, from the suburbs (an outsider)...He can be the worlds biggest fan but he's still and outsider.. All of the Wu-Tang bumper stickers and crates of vinyl will never change that..

He can have an opinion.. But when you're such an outsider, it's arrogant to pretend that you have a role as a lieutenant or a shot caller in the culture..He carries himself like a boss, when in reality he's just a super fan.. His opinion shouldnt be considered as highly as some 19 year old black kid from Camden..

He's 0 for 3... His whole existence is the antithesis of what the culture was intended to be...

There should be a hiearchy to things...Im not saying you have to be all three to be involved in the culture (young, minority, from the hood) but people that are none of the above should pretty much be ignored imo..

I don't wanna hear old men dictating what the culture should be (and I'm older myself) because it's always evolving and just because it was a certain way when you were younger doesnt mean that its etched in stone..

It bothers me when people from the suburbs in middle America criticized young ghetto kids in Bankhead for Laffy Taffy or snap music..When that was THEIR expression of a culture that was theirs by birthright and circumstance..

And it goes without sayin that I feel how most white folks (there are exceptions) should keep their mouths closed about Black culture...

U gotta earn stripes.. And even when you do, you should keep your mouth closed when grown folks (insiders) are talking...

This is dangerous racism if you apply this to other areas...

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Starships as obviously a pop song....

But lets talk about whats been allowed to happen to urban music...

I have an issue with the messenger more than the message...

Peter Rosenberg is no more hip hop than Nicki...Infact he should ALWAYS be viewed as an outsider from people that truely care about the culture..

Hip hop was formed on 3 major concepts or principles that people keep trying to ignore..

1-It's an art form created for and by the youth..

2-It's an art form created for and by innercity/urban/street kids..

3-It's an art form created for an by Blacks and Latinos (minorities)

By those standards of the purity and origin of "real hip hop" Rosenberg is 0 for 3..He's a 36 year old, white guy, from the suburbs (an outsider)...He can be the worlds biggest fan but he's still and outsider.. All of the Wu-Tang bumper stickers and crates of vinyl will never change that..

He can have an opinion.. But when you're such an outsider, it's arrogant to pretend that you have a role as a lieutenant or a shot caller in the culture..He carries himself like a boss, when in reality he's just a super fan.. His opinion shouldnt be considered as highly as some 19 year old black kid from Camden..

He's 0 for 3... His whole existence is the antithesis of what the culture was intended to be...

There should be a hiearchy to things...Im not saying you have to be all three to be involved in the culture (young, minority, from the hood) but people that are none of the above should pretty much be ignored imo..

I don't wanna hear old men dictating what the culture should be (and I'm older myself) because it's always evolving and just because it was a certain way when you were younger doesnt mean that its etched in stone..

It bothers me when people from the suburbs in middle America criticized young ghetto kids in Bankhead for Laffy Taffy or snap music..When that was THEIR expression of a culture that was theirs by birthright and circumstance..

And it goes without sayin that I feel how most white folks (there are exceptions) should keep their mouths closed about Black culture...

U gotta earn stripes.. And even when you do, you should keep your mouth closed when grown folks (insiders) are talking...

Stfu

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Poppa_Dock

:gladlebron:
Daps
Reppin
Banana Town
No no no, Im takin it as "we are solely responsible for such and such"

No you aint. Nobodys responsible for those types of things, the creative stuff.

The only thing we have in this dumb ass world that separate us from animales, the power to CREATE, to make something out of pure imagination.......we tryin badge it to ourselves and hold it?

fukk it.

Music is music, it aint no color exclusively responsible for it.

there is also things that go into music that are from outside influence, play style tone quickness softness instrument tuning etc.

nothing is exclusive to anybody

Peruvian Connect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So nobody saw that the article says nicki was one of the most gifted mc's at summer jam, and wale and j.cole are wack.
:rudy: how could y'all endorse this shyt

Because it's actually true. I like Wale to an extent, but J.Cole is blah. Though I do like that song with Missy. Nicki's catalog is very versatile and she usually has entertaining performances. That makes her better.

aRoMaN21

over 14 years in the shade...
Daps
What the fukk? You do know they have black barbie's right? barbie is also the most iconic toy in history.

lol. THeresa was a better doll than barbie.
and the peruvian likes minaj??
go figure. one killed trayvon and now one of them wants the youth dead too.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Black music isnt a foundation if we want to pin point.

Some motherfukker MUSTVE laid down some foundation BEFORE that for blues to originate. Smell me? Youre sayin "it all started from black peoples music"

But that cant be the only truth.

finally!

i agree, that cant be the ONLY truth.

my posts was not about this or that being EXCLUSIVE to black folks.
black music is a foundation, from slave hollers, work songs, chain gangs rhyming (literally) over tracks (albeit for trains), and the villages and griots of africa.
Griot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That "black music" also came from somewhere.

afrika bambataa went crazy when he heard "trans-euro express" by kraftwerk, and he went on to make what he called electro funk.

see how that works?

*a (trans euro express) starts off as this, then becomes b (planet rock)
*a (derrick may's electronic soul music which was dubbed techno) starts off as this, then becomes b, c, d, e, f, g...etc

nowhere in the above does it state "THIS BELONGS TO BLACK PEOPLE ONLY GET THE fukk OUT IF YOU AINT BLACK" - krafwerk aint black and are apart of hip hop :sadbron:

blondie aint black and ARE apart of hip hop :sadbron:

eric claption aint black but he's apart of the blues :to:

so on and so forth

if i want to make this argument you think i'm making, i'd post this song and be done with it

Last edited by a moderator:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
finally!

i agree, that cant be the ONLY truth.

my posts was not about this or that being EXCLUSIVE to black folks.
black music is a foundation, from slave hollers, work songs, chain gangs rhyming (literally) over tracks (albeit for trains), and the villages and griots of africa.
Griot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lightning- Long John (Old song by a chain gang) - YouTube

afrika bambataa went crazy when he heard "trans-euro express" by kraftwerk, and he went on to make what he called electro funk.

see how that works?

*a (trans euro express) starts off as this, then becomes b (planet rock)
*a (derrick may's electronic soul music which was dubbed techno) starts off as this, then becomes b, c, d, e, f, g...etc

nowhere in the above does it state "THIS BELONGS TO BLACK PEOPLE ONLY GET THE fukk OUT IF YOU AINT BLACK" - krafwerk aint black and are apart of hip hop :sadbron:

blondie aint black and ARE apart of hip hop :sadbron:

eric claption aint black but he's apart of the blues :to:

so on and so forth

if i want to make this argument you think i'm making, i'd post this song and be done with it

Gil Scott-Heron / Ain't No New Thing - YouTube

Who said that? :what:

NYC Rebel

Daps
People always takes bits and pieces of something and make it their own. shyt...the english language is nothing but bad German. But hip hop was a byproduct of budget cuts, and cats in MY hood still finding a way to make due with what little we had.

The problem is when people outside of that think they can do a better job at explaining MY story. fukk that. It's the same arrogance that where people say Columbus "discovered America" when there were people already here.

Rosenberg has no place to speak on whats "real" when the people who he may not agree with and are not immersed with, waking up every day to feel otherwise. It's that typical arrogance that sickens folks.

Hussein Fonzarelli

The Whitey Corp.
Daps
Rosenberg has no place to speak on whats "real" when the people who he may not agree with and are not immersed with, waking up every day to feel otherwise. It's that typical arrogance that sickens folks.

I agree with this. Who the fukk is he to say "none of that fake shyt".

What's fake? It's not like there's a factory makin stamped sealed and approved hip-hop that Nicki Minaj is counterfeiting n outsourcing in China and importing for cheap in US.

I hate that elitist attitude.

The hip-hop Rosenberg likes is real to him. Projecting your taste and preference on others is just...

It's hip-hop.

That's right, I found the right term.

:obama:

That's so hip-hop.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hip-hop is a Black art form, created by Blacks for Blacks, but that doesn't mean we dont acknowledge or accept non-Blacks who have a sincere love for the music.

rosenberg obviously loves hip-hop and has emersed himself in it. some of his views are outdated and he has an obvious bias towards a particular brand/style of hip-hop.

"starships" is not a hip-hop song by any stretch. rosenberg has every right to call "starships" garbage if he doesn't like it. thats his opinion. its not racist for him to call the song bullshyt. and you have every right to disagree with him if you like the song. his word is not law, but he is entitled to his opinion.

and yall need to quit with all this race shyt, its not only whites saying "starships" is trash, alot of folks think that song is bullshyt. and rosenberg praised lauryn hill for her performance at summerjam, he is not trying to destroy Black women. also, lets not forget just a couple of months ago he called machine gun kelly fake to his face in an interview and nearly made the kid cry.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i agree with dude who said everyone is a sellout to some extent. and there's nothing wrong with that although one nuance i'd like to add is that it's not really about selling music or not. i think the minute you start to think about what other people would enjoy (mainstream, radio, label or even core fans) the minute you let that influence your craft and product, that's the minute you are technically selling out (and there's nothing wrong with that). musicians are both artists and entertainers. if they were strictly artists, their goal would be strictly to create stuff and express something. if they were strictly entertainers, they would be complete servants of the public and do what it takes to entertain them (which ironically is also an art in itself). but i think rappers (and musicians in general) all fall somewhere between the two so they are all somewhat sellouts which is totally fine. everyone has to compromise at some point.

the problem that you also have to have a limit on your compromise. you have to keep some of your soul. if you're doing a song you HATE because it will sell then you're an ultimate sellout. you sold your soul. but if you're sticking to a specific type of song because your hardcore fans will LOVE it eventhough you're sick and tired of it, then guess what, you still sold your soul. it's just funny how you get more props for the latter...

what makes someone an ultimate sellout is very personal. it's about what they feel, about their values and integrity. everone has their own limit.

NYC Rebel

Daps
hip-hop is a Black art form, created by Blacks for Blacks, but that doesn't mean we dont acknowledge or accept non-Blacks who have a sincere love for the music.

rosenberg obviously loves hip-hop and has emersed himself in it. some of his views are outdated and he has an obvious bias towards a particular brand/style of hip-hop.

"starships" is not a hip-hop song by any stretch. rosenberg has every right to call "starships" garbage if he doesn't like it. thats his opinion. its not racist for him to call the song bullshyt. and you have every right to disagree with him if you like the song. his word is not law, but he is entitled to his opinion.

and yall need to quit with all this race shyt, its not only whites saying "starships" is trash, alot of folks think that song is bullshyt. and rosenberg praised lauryn hill for her performance at summerjam, he is not trying to destroy Black women. also, lets not forget just a couple of months ago he called machine gun kelly fake to his face in an interview and nearly made the kid cry.

First of all, did Nicki even say she was going to play it? No one called him racist for that. He's called arrogant and an hypocrite for standing on his moral soap box of "real hip hop" while

1. He's not of it. He decides what to absorb from the culture...the culture doesn't dictate his everyday reality like those who live in it.

2. he works for an outfit that goes against his very stance.

3. there's a wealth of wack MC's he could have chosen to call it. Most regular niqqas feel its some sucka shyt to go after the weakest of the weak. A female? What part of the game is that?

4. Who the fukk goes to Summer Jam for some backpacker hip hop he's advocating for in the first place? It's fukkin Summer Jam...a mainstream event.

That's the issue here.

Notice how none of it is defending Nicki's music?

I don't give a fukk how immersed Rosenberg is in it or how many KRS1 stories that were handed down to him that he can recite, it's always some cherry picking outsider who feels that since they have years of listening to the music under their belt that they can be an authority on it.

Nahhhh....the authorities on it involuntarily wake up and sleep to it every day, even if you don't like what they produce and come up with. And that's the problem with many of you pigheaded niqqas in here. Yall don't let the folks mired in it live.