NFL Week 5: What have we learned

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Not before CMC. CMC is the MVP of that O and Purdy benefits from it. Playing at high level as well, but CMC sets the pace, then Purdy killing em on play action.

CMC had probably his worse game with us tonight and Purdy didn’t miss a beat and still balled out

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Ok. Whoever said they didnt both deserve credit? But one attempted to sabotage the other and forced him out, while the other didnt.

If he tried to force out Brady he a lame. I'm not privy to all the Patriot lore so if he was on that type of time fukk em

Still, carte blance :ufdup:

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX
Ok I see what youre saying, but many excellent defenses have become footnotes because the QB didnt get the job done. See the 2000 Titans, 2006 Ravens, 2006 Bears, the 2001 Steelers, the 93-97 Steelers. Look at those Chiefs teams with DT, Neil Smith, Dale Carter etc who were elite, but never even sniffed a SB. The Bills in 99 were elite, but Rob Johnson wasted that defenses with an weak performance in the playoffs at Tennessee

Yeah, you need a strong HC + strong QB to win consistently. You could argue that the QB is more important (Brady won with Bucs, Peyton won with Denver/ Kubiak as HC) but having both is best.

I think people are crazy acting like Belichick has been exposed w/o Brady, or that his legacy is taking a hit. Maybe the idea that he can win with any QB/team is gone, but he is still a great coach.

Also, how he has both his sons on the coaching staff reminds me of Polian's last years in Indy. Maybe he has too much power in the org / control over the roster now, esp if he was beefing with Brady...but I don't think that takes away from his coaching ability.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Ok I see what youre saying, but many excellent defenses have become footnotes because the QB didnt get the job done. See the 2000 Titans, 2006 Ravens, 2006 Bears, the 2001 Steelers, the 93-97 Steelers. Look at those Chiefs teams with DT, Neil Smith, Dale Carter etc who were elite, but never even sniffed a SB. The Bills in 99 were elite, but Rob Johnson wasted that defenses with an weak performance in the playoffs at Tennessee
And they keep ignoring how he's not been good offensively - drafting, coaching staff, etc.

Just because you're a great defensive coach, it doesn't guarantee anything. Plenty of great defenses, like you said, become footnotes without good QBs that can take advantage of it? Look at Denver last year for instance.

@Mantis Toboggan M.D.
@Based Lord Zedd
@Aveda

How do yall feel about Rex Ryan? He made 2 AFC TITLE games with Mark Sanchez.

Why can't Bill without Brady even consistently make the playoffs? He's 2 for 10 (11 at the end of this year).

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
And they keep ignoring how he's not been good offensively - drafting, coaching staff, etc.

Just because you're a great defensive coach, it doesn't guarantee anything. Plenty of great defenses, like you said, become footnotes without good QBs that can take advantage of it? Look at Denver last year for instance.

@Mantis Toboggan M.D.
@Based Lord Zedd
@Aveda

Why can't Bill without Brady even consistently make the playoffs? He's 2 for 10 (11 at the end of this year).
The jets went to 2 afc games with Rex. They’ve gotten that far once in the last 53 years aside from those 2 years. They’ve won their division twice since 1970. They’ve also gone through dozens of bad coaches and quarterbacks in that span. They’re not the team to make this point with. They’ve been awful in every conceivable manner for a lifetime.

As for Rex, the jets pushed all their chips to the center of the table for 2010 knowing things would implode in the short term after that season since there was no cap and they wouldn’t be able to keep that team together. They had a bad finish to 2011, a bad 2012, and then the new GM pushed Rex to play Sanchez late in a preseason game where he had a season ending injury so Geno had to play and he was nowhere close to ready to start in the pros so they ended up cutting Rex loose. He’s not a great offensive mind, but the most talented quarterback he got to work with was Mark Sanchez and those first 3 years they got production out of him before the talent eroded around him.

If you want to see what a difference it makes to have a bad coach, I point you to the ravens. Every year they miss out on the playoffs or the division because they manage to lose 3-5 games where they let a team hang around that they could have finished off midway through the game or blow it at the end because they commit self inflicted mistakes, take reckless and/or arrogant chances, lack discipline, have a flawed philosophy on offense and defense, have poor leadership on the sidelines, and just have bad X’s and O’s in general while never properly adjusting to their teams. That’s the big takeaway for me about Belichick. The lack of self inflicted mistakes. The list of big games and even games 1-16 in general where they’d beat themselves was pretty short.

Last edited:

Based Lord Zedd

Colts or Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston TX

I am definitely ignoring stuff like his drafting. I am talking about Bill Belichick as a defensive-minded HC.

@Mantis Toboggan M.D.
@Based Lord Zedd
@Aveda

How do I feel about him after he went 20-12 in his first two seasons as HC with a 4-2 playoff record? Or how do I feel about him after he went 61-66 overall? I'm not saying being a great defensive coach guarantees anything, just that Belichick is a great defensive coach with 8 total rings. Belichick is obviously >>> Ryan.

Let's talk about 2020-2023. Why would you expect them to consistently make the playoffs? Unless you have a young QB stashed (Rodgers) or completely bottom out and get a top pick (Luck) you are going to suffer after losing your franchise QB.
The fact that they made the playoffs at all is impressive, but hovering around .500 instead of rebuilding is dumb. Now they will likely have to anyway.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
The jets went to 2 afc games with Rex. They’ve gotten that far once in the last 53 years aside from those 2 years. They’ve won their division twice since 1970. They’ve also gone through dozens of bad coaches and quarterbacks in that span. They’re not the team to make this point with. They’ve been awful in every conceivable manner for a lifetime.

As for Rex, the jets pushed all their chips to the center of the table for 2010 knowing things would implode in the short term after that season since there was no cap and they wouldn’t be able to keep that team together. They had a bad finish to 2011, a bad 2012, and then the new GM pushed Rex to play Sanchez late in a preseason game where he had a season ending injury so Geno had to play and he was nowhere close to ready to start in the pros so they ended up cutting Rex loose. He’s not a great offensive mind, but the most talented quarterback he got to work with was Mark Sanchez and those first 3 years they got production out of him before the talent eroded around him.
That first paragraph has nothing to do with my point. The point is Rex Ryan is a defensive minded Head coach who was able to get the Jets far in the playoffs twice.

I am saying Belichick can't even make the playoffs reliably without Tom. So it's weird to create this narrative that he was equally important to Brady when there's such a crazy drop-off without him.

Again, bill also is not good on offense. So those pats teams "winning with Bill's defense" had as much to do with Bill's offensive ineptitude that Brady had to mask as it did with his defensive prowess.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
I am definitely ignoring stuff like his drafting. I am talking about Bill Belichick as a defensive-minded HC.

How do I feel about him after he went 20-12 in his first two seasons as HC with a 4-2 playoff record? Or how do I feel about him after he went 61-66 overall? I'm not saying being a great defensive coach guarantees anything, just that Belichick is a great defensive coach with 8 total rings. Belichick is obviously >>> Ryan.

Let's talk about 2020-2023. Why would you expect them to consistently make the playoffs? Unless you have a young QB stashed (Rodgers) or completely bottom out and get a top pick (Luck) you are going to suffer after losing your franchise QB.
The fact that they made the playoffs at all is impressive.
No it's not impressive :dead:

Why are we lowering the bar? Bill is the GOAT coach, yet it should be impressive that he leads a team to the playoffs once in 3 years, when many average coaches lead teams to the playoffs with mediocre QBs?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don’t see how to stop the Niners. On paper, pressuring Purdy would throw him off his game and even things out but how do you pressure him behind THAT o-line?