New Webseries Blue Collar Hustle (SEASON 2 AVAILABLE NOW)

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
1st off, much respect for coming up with something you passionate about and actually following through to make it come true. :salute:

As for the show, I fukks with it. I'll definitely watch the later episodes and you can always tag me whenever you dropping some new creative shyt.
I'll keep it simple with the review for the 1st episode.

Pros
- Loved the hip-hop element you put into the show
- all the characters were cool an interesting, nobody was ugly or dusty looking.
- Loved seeing a black couple interact without animosity.
- The gems in the interview, I felt like there's a lot of people that could benefit from hearing that.

Cons
- The acting, its not Silk da Shocker status in Hot Boys, but it can improve.
- The dialogue could come off more natural, like sometimes it seemed corny or too long winded
- The interviews were a lil too long, (moreso the 1st one, the one with the chick was better timed and she was saying some real shyt)
- I love the black empowerment theme, but sometimes it came across too forced, especially in the conversations in the very start with the couple.

Other than that. The show is dope and I wish you all the best. Keep it up breh.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
1st off, much respect for coming up with something you passionate about and actually following through to make it come true. :salute:

As for the show, I fukks with it. I'll definitely watch the later episodes and you can always tag me whenever you dropping some new creative shyt.
I'll keep it simple with the review for the 1st episode.

Pros
- Loved the hip-hop element you put into the show
- all the characters were cool an interesting, nobody was ugly or dusty looking.
- Loved seeing a black couple interact without animosity.
- The gems in the interview, I felt like there's a lot of people that could benefit from hearing that.

Cons
- The acting, its not Silk da Shocker status in Hot Boys, but it can improve.
- The dialogue could come off more natural, like sometimes it seemed corny or too long winded
- The interviews were a lil too long, (moreso the 1st one, the one with the chick was better timed and she was saying some real shyt)
- I love the black empowerment theme, but sometimes it came across too forced, especially in the conversations in the very start with the couple.

Other than that. The show is dope and I wish you all the best. Keep it up breh.

First of all thank you so much for your constructive feedback bro.

-Acting will get better as the show goes on. I promise you. We all worked really hard to get our timing and delivery down. Keep in mind everyone in the show is a first time actor except for my sister Shani (who plays Asha the "chick" you were talking about lol)

-The interviews were both a way to introduce the characters and show how it really is within a retail sales environment. I might not have stuck the landing 100% on how we went about it I concede. That format is cut down significantly in later episodes as well (meaning we never again have them back to back to back)

-The black empowerment theme is crucial to the show and I wanted to establish right from the start with the audience what it is they were in for with the show. So anybody looking for shucking , jiving, or an awe-shucks good time could know to check out early. Don't worry though, every single episode won't be as heavy handed with that particular message. The character of Ajani defines himself by his blackness and culture, so that is something unique to him (I conceived him as a grown up Huey Freeman type) but the other main characters all get their time to shine and they have entire arcs that Ajani is not a part of.

Also bro I'd really like it if you could tell me which acting you felt needed work. Please don't think you need to spare my feelings or the cast because we really take this seriously and we want to get better. So if you think I suck then tell me, and I'll just go extra harder. Or if you think one of the other characters don't quite mesh we'll just double down on rehearsals.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
First of all thank you so much for your constructive feedback bro.

-Acting will get better as the show goes on. I promise you. We all worked really hard to get our timing and delivery down. Keep in mind everyone in the show is a first time actor except for my sister Shani (who plays Asha the "chick" you were talking about lol)

-The interviews were both a way to introduce the characters and show how it really is within a retail sales environment. I might not have stuck the landing 100% on how we went about it I concede. That format is cut down significantly in later episodes as well (meaning we never again have them back to back to back)

-The black empowerment theme is crucial to the show and I wanted to establish right from the start with the audience what it is they were in for with the show. So anybody looking for shucking , jiving, or an awe-shucks good time could know to check out early. Don't worry though, every single episode won't be as heavy handed with that particular message. The character of Ajani defines himself by his blackness and culture, so that is something unique to him (I conceived him as a grown up Huey Freeman type) but the other main characters all get their time to shine and they have entire arcs that Ajani is not a part of.

Also bro I'd really like it if you could tell me which acting you felt needed work. Please don't think you need to spare my feelings or the cast because we really take this seriously and we want to get better. So if you think I suck then tell me, and I'll just go extra harder. Or if you think one of the other characters don't quite mesh we'll just double down on rehearsals.

I'm not the type to go overboard with criticism, I'll never try to tear another nikka down, if what I think they doing is decent and their respectful about it.

The only person's who acting I didn't feel like that or just that it didn't seem natural was the rapping cat. Like he was cool at the end when the 2 dudes were battling with Nas and Hova lines, because he was more or less background support. Like that part felt like a real conversation. shyt brought me back to HS when that battle was one of the biggest convo starters out. I really enjoyed that part.

During the interview, I guess that was too many lines for him to be spitting or something and it didn't come off as effortless as everyone else.
Everybody else was straight though. Even rap dude ain't bad, he'll prolly polish up over the course of this shyt so it's all good. I prolly should have been more specific when I first posted so my bad on that.

I think the dialogue was the weakest part of the show, like only the conversation with Asha and the Jay/Nas convo seemed like I could really see it happen. Like those 2 conversations seemed more authentic to me. Like people really talk that way. The other convos seemed forced like you knew it was for a show. The speech the main guy had to the whole room full of people was perfect though. I can definitely see that happening. He seemed more comfortable during that moment than any other part besides the battle.

I hope this helps. Apologies if it isn't detailed enough. I only watched it once.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
I'm not the type to go overboard with criticism, I'll never try to tear another nikka down, if what I think they doing is decent and their respectful about it.

The only person's who acting I didn't feel like that or just that it didn't seem natural was the rapping cat. Like he was cool at the end when the 2 dudes were battling with Nas and Hova lines, because he was more or less background support. Like that part felt like a real conversation. shyt brought me back to HS when that battle was one of the biggest convo starters out. I really enjoyed that part.

During the interview, I guess that was too many lines for him to be spitting or something and it didn't come off as effortless as everyone else.
Everybody else was straight though. Even rap dude ain't bad, he'll prolly polish up over the course of this shyt so it's all good. I prolly should have been more specific when I first posted so my bad on that.

I think the dialogue was the weakest part of the show, like only the conversation with Asha and the Jay/Nas convo seemed like I could really see it happen. Like those 2 conversations seemed more authentic to me. Like people really talk that way. The other convos seemed forced like you knew it was for a show. The speech the main guy had to the whole room full of people was perfect though. I can definitely see that happening. He seemed more comfortable during that moment than any other part besides the battle.

I hope this helps. Apologies if it isn't detailed enough. I only watched it once.

The convo with Asha was the most poignant and natural imo. ... I can say it was the one that moved me the most. Best dialogue by far... In terms of nuance and content. I'm really interested in seeing her character development.

I applaud the homie's courage for opening this up for discussion... and it enhances folks' engagement, making us feel like we're getting vested in helping to shape this on the ground level. ..on some organic shyt. :krs:

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
The convo with Asha was the most poignant and natural imo. ... I can say it was the one that moved me the most. Best dialogue by far... In terms of nuance and content. I'm really interested in seeing her character development.

I applaud the homie's courage for opening this up for discussion... and it enhances folks' engagement, making us feel like we're getting vested in helping to shape this on the ground level. ..on some organic shyt. :krs:

Agreed.

She had me agreeing with a lot of her points too breh. I loved that conversation. shyt was lowkey powerful. :whew:

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Agreed.

She had me agreeing with a lot of her points too breh. I loved that conversation. shyt was lowkey powerful. :whew:

That's the thing. ..

The rap centric shyt is cool but it almost seems to stifle the real voices and maybe development . .. just hope it's not an overreliance on the rap stuff. .. it should be complementary...

...amazingly the most authentic moment of the show didn't reference a single rapper or lyrics...

Me and who I was watching it with both looked at each other after the Asha scene like. . . :wow: "that was some real shyt."
:wow:

We were sold on Asha right then. Bought in to her with no regrets. It really resonated.

Shyt was excellent. The dynamic. The tension.

Well played.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Man y'all gonna give my sister a big head lol...

Nah but for real I'm going to share a tidbit with you all.

Me and my sister both worked at Best Buy together almost ten years ago. I actually got her the job. While I embraced it and worked hard to move up and get promoted, she was content where she was and was never interested in moving up. I used to get on her all the time about making something out of the situation and not letting herself get stagnant. I felt that since we were siblings we should have the same mindset and I was always disappointed that we could never be the brother/sister Best Buy duo I'd always envisioned..,

Fast forward years later when I came back to the company after serving in the military and there were still people working there who hadn't moved up or progressed a lick since I'd left. shyt was mad disheartening. I'd have conversations with a few of the younger black employees who I was sort of grooming and some of them just really only saw it as a 9-5 to pay their bills and get them by, while I saw it as so much more. My sister finally told me around this time that she always felt that me and her were "better than Best Buy" and she was just waiting for me to embrace who I truly was and that would be the day she followed me.

I never forgot that conversation, and finally last year when I began writing the script I factored in all those arguments and debates we used to have regarding the merits of promotion and motivation. And I wrote that shyt out and mapped out the Asha character, she was the only one I could envision portraying this character. She is a trained actress so I was kind of nervous showing her the script and story outline but she read it once, looked me dead in the eye and said

"Now it's time for me to follow your lead"

That shyt almost brought tears to my eyes brehs:wow:

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man y'all gonna give my sister a big head lol...

Nah but for real I'm going to share a tidbit with you all.

Me and my sister both worked at Best Buy together almost ten years ago. I actually got her the job. While I embraced it and worked hard to move up and get promoted, she was content where she was and was never interested in moving up. I used to get on her all the time about making something out of the situation and not letting herself get stagnant. I felt that since we were siblings we should have the same mindset and I was always disappointed that we could never be the brother/sister Best Buy duo I'd always envisioned..,

Fast forward years later when I came back to the company after serving in the military and there were still people working there who hadn't moved up or progressed a lick since I'd left. shyt was mad disheartening. I'd have conversations with a few of the younger black employees who I was sort of grooming and some of them just really only saw it as a 9-5 to pay their bills and get them by, while I saw it as so much more. My sister finally told me around this time that she always felt that me and her were "better than Best Buy" and she was just waiting for me to embrace who I truly was and that would be the day she followed me.

I never forgot that conversation, and finally last year when I began writing the script I factored in all those arguments and debates we used to have regarding the merits of promotion and motivation. And I wrote that shyt out and mapped out the Asha character, she was the only one I could envision portraying this character. She is a trained actress so I was kind of nervous showing her the script and story outline but she read it once, looked me dead in the eye and said

"Now it's time for me to follow your lead"

That shyt almost brought tears to my eyes brehs:wow:

:ohhh:

It all makes sense. ..

Lol

Appreciate that background man. ..

Definitely can tell that dialogue came from a very real place.

Such a powerful scene . Y'all did that.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
1000 views in two days :wow:

I want to sincerely thank every single one of you who watched the first episode and shared it with a friend, family member, or loved one. Whether you hate it or love it, I made this web series for BLACK PEOPLE first and foremest and y'all supported and showed love right back. So many times in my life I've heard that black people don't support one another and that making something just for "us" wouldn't put you in position to succeed. But just genfsct that we could these views and support means that that logic is absolute bullshyt.

I love you all real talk. Y'all gonna make a brother cry pan-african tears:mjcry:

@hustlemania @Giselle @MoonGoddess @Paradise @Lady.Libra. @Illeye buckmatic @BmoreGorilla @-DMP- @LinusCaldwell @MartyMcFly @Soundbwoy @Originalman @Achille @Deltron @spliz @JoelB @ghostwriterx @Out2TheOld @RoyalQ @awkwardblackgirl @CinnaSlim @Prynce @UserNameless @LauderdaleBoss @GoldenGlove @Brooklynzson @The HONORABLE SKJ @Jax @Colicat @blazn101 @Motife43 @BXKingPin82 @ZoeGod @Born2BKing @Easy-E @Wild self @King Musa @Afro @We Major @PlayerNinety_Nine @Soymuscle Mike @True Blue Moon

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
1000 views in two days :wow:

I want to sincerely thank every single one of you who watched the first episode and shared it with a friend, family member, or loved one. Whether you hate it or love it, I made this web series for BLACK PEOPLE first and foremest and y'all supported and showed love right back. So many times in my life I've heard that black people don't support one another and that making something just for "us" wouldn't put you in position to succeed. But just genfsct that we could these views and support means that that logic is absolute bullshyt.

I love you all real talk. Y'all gonna make a brother cry pan-african tears:mjcry:

@hustlemania @Giselle @MoonGoddess @Paradise @Lady.Libra. @Illeye buckmatic @BmoreGorilla @-DMP- @LinusCaldwell @MartyMcFly @Soundbwoy @Originalman @Achille @Deltron @spliz @JoelB @ghostwriterx @Out2TheOld @RoyalQ @awkwardblackgirl @CinnaSlim @Prynce @UserNameless @LauderdaleBoss @GoldenGlove @Brooklynzson @The HONORABLE SKJ @Jax @Colicat @blazn101 @Motife43 @BXKingPin82 @ZoeGod @Born2BKing @Easy-E @Wild self @King Musa @Afro @We Major @PlayerNinety_Nine @Soymuscle Mike @True Blue Moon

:salute: did you use thecoli as principal marketing tool?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
:salute: did you use thecoli as principal marketing tool?

Yes sir. Amongst other sites and blogs.

The key is to market to your target demographic and the Coli represents maybe the largest online gathering of young black millennials who grew up on Hip Hop and understand the themes that the series will explore as we go on

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
That office scene, where he pulled in breh in for his one on one:salute:.

H.S.

All Star
Daps
It's way rough around the edges, but so was/is M&V and Respect Life early on. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Diversification of BLACKEXCELLENCE:wow:

...Verbal Intercouse/ETHER:laff:/Takeover/Last Real nikka Alive BARZ:pachaha:

@Ziggiy you didn't have to throw shots at Aunt Jemima syrup, tho:mjpls:

Last edited: