New PS5 model incoming with detachable Disc Drive

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
playstation-5-fd-1920x1080-1.jpg

The PlayStation 5 is set to get a unique overhaul in the middle of FY 2023, with the new console launching around September 2024, say sources.

Sources familiar with Sony's plans have shared details under the condition of anonymity outlining the next iteration of the PlayStation 5. It's been suggested that this new console will completely replace the A, B, and C chassis that have been in production since the console's launch.

The console, currently named the D chassis PlayStation 5, will have almost identical hardware to the existing consoles already on the market.

The most surprising new feature of the new this new PS5 though, is that the console will have a detachable disk drive. The detachable disc drive will be connected to the PlayStation 5 using an extra USB-C port on the back of the console.

It's understood that this new PlayStation 5 console will be sold on its own, or, in a bundle with the detachable disc drive. It's also understood that the disc drives can also be purchased separately, so, if it gets busted, there's no need to buy an entirely new console.

Sources have implied that although the new detachable disc drive is portable, it will not ruin the aesthetics of the console and will attach to it without looking external, presumably meaning the new PlayStation 5 will look similar to the existing model.

https://insider-gaming.com/new-playstation-5/

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So I could have just waited for this disk drive instead of buying another PS5 with the drive?

We’ll according to this you’d have to wait until september 2024

Also, this is Tom Hendersons new site, he’s the source of the information. He also leaked the Dualsense Edge controller months before hand so he seems to have a mole at sony

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Seems like they are trying to go back to having one SKU for the PS5’s possibly for better production. I also see this as being the beginning of the end for physical games
I don't think it will be phased out because you still have a bunch of people going to game shops on launch date to buy games. As a movie junkie I hope they don't phase it out because I don't want to buy a sperate media player for UHD blurays

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't think it will be phased out because you still have a bunch of people going to game shops on launch date to buy games. As a movie junkie I hope they don't phase it out because I don't want to buy a sperate media player for UHD blurays

I think by the time PS6 comes out it will be just this, an attachment that will cost like 50 dollars extra through USB-C

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange

It's the future. It's going to happen. Just look at Best Buy, Target and Walmart. The movie section keeps shrinking. And I don't think there will be any sort of resurgence for movies and games on physical media, like there is music with people having a thing for vinyl at the moment.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It's the future. It's going to happen. Just look at Best Buy, Target and Walmart. The movie section keeps shrinking. And I don't think there will be any sort of resurgence for movies and games on physical media, like there is music with people having a thing for vinyl at the moment.

Theres gonna be hipsters blowing in game cartridges in 2035 talking about how its the only true gaming experience.