New PS5 model incoming with detachable Disc Drive

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
So they only have to manufacturer one SKU, makes production more efficient. I’m guessing its also to push people more into digital

they should have done this from the jump. make EVERY PS5 a digital with option to get the separate optical drive. no reason for 2 models. the fact that the version with the optical drive cost $100 extra is a joke given the cost of that part is nominal at best.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
they should have done this from the jump. make EVERY PS5 a digital with option to get the separate optical drive. no reason for 2 models. the fact that the version with the optical drive cost $100 extra is a joke given the cost of that part is nominal at best.

Yeah i wis hi could have just gotten a digital

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Nah, we're STILL not ready for a full digital console. The first company that leads with an all digital model is gonna get eaten alive with thinkpieces about how acceptable broadband speeds are still relatively limited here in the states, datacaps, and all that. And the disc drive being a separate purchase will absolutely be framed as a physical tax, or some dumb shyt.

It's easier to have an option set up like it is now, where having a disc drive is essentially opt out instead of opt in.

how does that work when the SSD's are 3rd party?

Exactly my point. Unless Sony decides to get into the SDD business, they're still going to have to source those from a third party. And even though they obviously have far more buying power than us or the retailers we buy from, they're definitely not getting large SSDs for the cheap, and costs like those are almost always passed along to the customer. Until SSDs replace HDDs as the standard for usage and pricing, we're kind've stick with 1TB being the max you'll see.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
western digital is already labeling their M2 as a "PS5" drive. I'm sure they have some kinda agreement with sony.
it is the "officially licensed" drive. but every SSD manufacturer is advertisings drives as "PS5 compatible", and Sony's SSD FAQ doesn't mention any particular brand

if they really wanted to "get more $$$ outa u" they could have gone the proprietary route like M$

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
it is the "officially licensed" drive. but every SSD manufacturer is advertisings drives as "PS5 compatible", and Sony's SSD FAQ doesn't mention any particular brand

if they really wanted to "get more $$$ outa u" they could have gone the proprietary route like M$

I'm assuming sony's gonna tax companies for putting PS5 compatible on the box.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

UPDATE: Sources have confirmed that the prototype of the console has been in the hands of the developers for a number of months. My update on this on my Twitter account led some to believe that the console is in the game developer's hands, but this is not the case. It's in the hands of people at Sony and not at individual developer studios. The new console does not need to be in the developer's hands because it will have almost identical specifications to the original PlayStation 5, sources said. In addition and after many questions from the community, sources said that they don't believe the detachable disc drive will be compatible with the existing digital version; but that could change with major software updates.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

IjfZC0g.jpg

rbPdgqz.jpg

xb1zinD.jpg