New cars are such a ripoff

Kane1

Superstar
Daps
www.carfax.com/blog/car-depreciation/
If something loses 10% of its value just by you owning and using it once it was never worth the asking price to begin with.

I'm not sure I'll ever buy a brand new car in the face of that.

Never brought a new car....got a credit score of 820....I'm on my 9th car:yeshrug:

My uncle was a mechanic and told me about the new car trap when I was 16 :blessed:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not driving a hoopty anymore. I don't like car payment but I'm not anti-car payment at this point in life. I drove a hoopty for 5 years and it did me financially good to do it but in the late stages I put more into the car than it was worth because I thought I could save it. It was dumb to put $3000 into a $1500 car because I thought I could get years more out of it. Eventually stuff kept breaking on it so frequently I had to scrap it.

Moms gave me that car for free. It wasn't a total loss but still. For me if I look to get another car I'm looking for a lease turn-in with the Carfax that documents the maintenance at a dealership only. I'm not losing sleep it another human being passed gas in the damn thing I'll just get it cleaned before buying.
I bought used cars before but will never get one with more than 25K miles on it. Almost everytime I've been burned on cars with that much mileage. So now I buy brand new or just one 1 year old with less than 10K miles. Anything else and you're asking for some major issues if using as a day driver. I make sure to keep 2 vehicles for that same reason.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I bought used cars before but will never get one with more than 25K miles on it. Almost everytime I've been burned on cars with that much mileage. So now I buy brand new or just one 1 year old with less than 10K miles. Anything else and you're asking for some major issues if using as a day driver. I make sure to keep 2 vehicles for that same reason.
I bought my car with 22K miles. Really though with provable service records and an inspection you should be fine going above 25K. It's not like the old days where buying a used car was pandora's box and other than an eye test you had no idea how it was maintained. Hell I took my parent's 17 year old truck to get an oil chance at a random place and it was documented on Carfax.

Cars are a complex purchase though. Its a need people wrap their wants around then justify it to themselves. Needing something stable and reliable means they should buy new when in fact they could get a 1-3 year old car and have it be just as stable and reliable. Being able to afford it means being able to make the monthly payments when in fact if they had to go write a check for the full purchase price either they'd find a reason to justify not doing so or would be unable to do so, or if they had to buy it with money they had at the time they'd buy a less expensive car.

At this point cars are damn near a subscription service. They want you making monthly payments for life. They're marketed as being this entertaining product. People tie their identities to them. Once you start deriving entertainment value from a very expensive tool used to get you from point A to point B the trouble starts. Look at other things like homes, regular people don't live in a home for 3 years get bored with it then go out and buy a new home because doing so is far more prohibitive than swapping cars. Regular people don't only decide to buy new homes and seemingly have no problem buying used homes.

I'm far from rich but the moment I broke away from that car as entertainment mindset my finances drastically improved. I have the means to have a much nicer, newer, and more expensive car than I do but I choose not to.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
buy a used car that is in good condition for 7k or less. you will save up lot of money
depends on the car, some cars I would buy new or at least with a CPO, a car like a Honda, Toyota, Kia, Hyundai is fine used.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don't understand how somebody thinks making the choice to buy a new car is a scam :ohhh:

Don't buy a new car then :gucci:

I'm keeping this Jeep forever....I barely put any miles on it and it's almost paid off :hubie:

They weird breh.

"You can get it for 30% off once its left the lot, even if.it has 15 miles on it :steviej:"

No u fukkin cant. Brehs who repeat this shyt aint never purchased a car in their life and it shows.

I will never understand shaming someone cuz they want a new car. Its one of the more strange coli-isms

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
They weird breh.

"You can get it for 30% off once its left the lot, even if.it has 15 miles on it :steviej:"

No u fukkin cant. Brehs who repeat this shyt aint never purchased a car in their life and it shows.

I will never understand shaming someone cuz they want a new car. Its one of the more strange coli-isms
Right

I bought a used car before and I sunk so much money into it

Honestly I wish I bought a brand new car back then I will probably still have it to this day

Depreciation on cars is life :manny:

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
Made that mistake fresh out of college with a new job. Once you realize that you're paying more than the price of the car with interest and the value goes down every day... I felt like I got hustled

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They weird breh.

Who says that when that's like first year + part to all second year depreciation numbers?

He'll I want a new car. I want a lot of things but still doesn't not make it a terrible value.

There's no shame to it. If I went out and paid a chick $100K for an hour in a hotel room with her even if I got the money is that not a terrible value? I might have fully enjoyed that hour. Still a poor value.
I don't understand how somebody thinks making the choice to buy a new car is a scam :ohhh:

Don't buy a new car then :gucci:

I'm keeping this Jeep forever....I barely put any miles on it and it's almost paid off :hubie:
How is it not a scam? If it's not a scam why doesn't a new car not hold onto its value better? What real tangible loss has a 1 year old car suffered mechanically to justify it losing 15-20% of its value?

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
My first car was a new 2011 Mitsubishi. I still have it but I just bought a 2021 crv, less than 1% interest. I'm very satisfied. Buy a new car that'll last you more than a decade, can't beat it.
1% interest?
Hey, I need you to cosign a few things for me :patrice:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Cars aren’t investments to most people. They’re status symbols. They’re rewards for hard work put in. They are what makes get up in the morning and go to work. Cars are the I hate my fukking job but this makes it tolerable.
Yup. Had an argument with a close friend when I was car shopping. He's trying to convince me to buy a luxury vehicle since I make good money and can afford it and should show off. I got something reasonable that was 2 years old and less than 25K miles on it. I prefer traveling or saving up to invest instead of status symbols for people that don't give a fukk about me. I kept my old car for 10 years and the only reason I got a new one was so I could pass my old one down to my daughters. I've had mine for six years (paid off last year) and still at 57K miles and planning to keep it for a long time.

Homebody is over 100K in debt with no retirement savings in large part because him and his wife would switch cars every two or three years and constantly updating cell phones and electronics.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Who says that when that's like first year + part to all second year depreciation numbers?

He'll I want a new car. I want a lot of things but still doesn't not make it a terrible value.

There's no shame to it. If I went out and paid a chick $100K for an hour in a hotel room with her even if I got the money is that not a terrible value? I might have fully enjoyed that hour. Still a poor value.

How is it not a scam? If it's not a scam why doesn't a new car not hold onto its value better? What real tangible loss has a 1 year old car suffered mechanically to justify it losing 15-20% of its value?
Buying a car is a CHOICE.

It isn't a scam.