New cars are such a ripoff

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Some people live their lives based on value. A nights rest is a nights rest right, so why spend money staying in the Hilton when you can sleep at Red Roof Inn or Super 8. See i dont subscribe to that shyt, some things im willing to pay for even if there is value somewhere else.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Are you suggesting the wear and tear that happens in the first year is that devastating that it justifies that much a loss?

As a collectors item yeah the use is damaging but if the car is purchased with the intention of use a year of use isn't a big deal. If wear and tear is a concern the depreciation should be less in the beginning as it's closer to new and accelerate as it gets older and older because the older the car gets the less close it is to that newer condition.
Does someone take a L that builds a new house instead of buying a house that’s not new and it’s been lived in for a couple of years?

King Frost

Stay Frosty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
North Pole
Every new car is driven at the factory, it's also driven onto the trailers that carry them. It's also driven onto the showrooms and into the service bay before first sale to customer.
if your new car has 0 on the odometer when you get it, they've messed with it. It should read 20 or so. If you insist on buying a new car, take a test drive of it, the actual car not a demo vehicale.
Usually cars are sold with the other year depending on month of manufacturer so if a 2020 car rolls off the assembly in sept, it's a 2021. Which may get sold before dec 31. So it's possible the owner of a 2021 car can sell it before dec 31 2021.

Last edited:

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Man this breh still in here talking about depreciation on a car….

:snoop:

ITS NOT AN INVESTMENT!!!
It's a tool. But it's a shytty tool if it loses a third of its worth the money you first use it. Essentially, you paid too much no matter what. If you buy a new car, you just gotta be OK knowing you're overpaying.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

ITS NOT AN INVESTMENT!!!
I cannot explain to you how infuriating it is when people talk about cars as "depreciating assets"

Do nikkas realize just about EVERYTHING in this world depreciates in value unless it is a rare or unique item that has been maintained???

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Does someone take a L that builds a new house instead of buying a house that’s not new and it’s been lived in for a couple of years?
Houses typically appreciate in value.

ITS NOT AN INVESTMENT!!!
You're actually wrong. A car can very much be an investment. A 2005 Ford GT today will sell for almost double what it sold for when it was released.

That's besides the point. My argument always was the rate at which a new car depreciates makes it a ripoff not that a car is an investment.

Now if you keep the car until it's worthless you can somewhat argue you got your money's worth but you still had to eat that year 1 depreciation and in exchange for it you didn't really get close to equal value.

The few cases it makes sense is buying a collector's item car or buying an EV car where you can get federal and state tax credits equal or even more that year 1 depreciation.
I cannot explain to you how infuriating it is when people talk about cars as "depreciating assets"

Do nikkas realize just about EVERYTHING in this world depreciates in value unless it is a rare or unique item that has been maintained???
Any fool can buy a house and in a few decades it likely hasn't depreciated unless they trashed it. Homes aren't rare or unique. Most consumer products depreciate if they aren't rare or unique.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Houses typically appreciate in value.

You're actually wrong. A car can very much be an investment. A 2005 Ford GT today will sell for almost double what it sold for when it was released.

That's besides the point. My argument always was the rate at which a new car depreciates makes it a ripoff not that a car is an investment.

Now if you keep the car until it's worthless you can somewhat argue you got your money's worth but you still had to eat that year 1 depreciation and in exchange for it you didn't really get close to equal value.

The few cases it makes sense is buying a collector's item car or buying an EV car where you can get federal and state tax credits equal or even more that year 1 depreciation.

Any fool can buy a house and in a few decades it likely hasn't depreciated unless they trashed it. Homes aren't rare or unique. Most consumer products depreciate if they aren't rare or unique.
Whether something appreciates in value is another transaction entirely.

If you never plan on selling something you bought then why does is matter if it appreciates or depreciates in value?

do you only buy shoes that appreciate in value?

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
You are being dishonest here. You damn well know that the overwhelming majority of cars are not collectors items and thus not purchased with the intent of being an investment…
:unimpressed:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
People just cant afford new cars and come up with other reasons why they "will not" buy one.
I can't afford a new car.

I could however walk into a dealership with my 800 credit score, my income, my minimal debt and trade in my car driving away with something brand new and I could easily make the payments. I could also cash out enough investments in my taxable investment account to buy a new car outright.

I don't define either of those as being able to afford a new car though. When you can actually afford a new car you buying one would be like you buying a can of soda. You see it, you want it, you don't think twice about it or blink you just buy it. You don't rationalize why you should use debt to get it because "your money could do better elsewhere" because to you a can of soda is so insignificant that why would you even bother. If you can't view the price of a car with that level of insignificance then you can't really afford it. The majority of people can't afford a new car.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I can't afford a new car.

I could however walk into a dealership with my 800 credit score, my income, my minimal debt and trade in my car driving away with something brand new and I could easily make the payments. I could also cash out enough investments in my taxable investment account to buy a new car outright.

I don't define either of those as being able to afford a new car though. When you can actually afford a new car you buying one would be like you buying a can of soda. You see it, you want it, you don't think twice about it or blink you just buy it. You don't rationalize why you should use debt to get it because "your money could do better elsewhere" because to you a can of soda is so insignificant that why would you even bother. If you can't view the price of a car with that level of insignificance then you can't really afford it. The majority of people can't afford a new car.
:laff:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I probably should have stuck to my principles here. I just felt like I’ve never owned a brand new car in my entire life so I’ll do it once. I bought the car in March it’s June and it’s lost over $3500 in value with just 2700 miles on it. Granted I put down $19K and financed $8000 so I’ll never be upside down. Doesn’t help that somebody hit my shyt a few weeks after I got it and I had to pay almost $1600 to restore it no normal condition.

Got it out of my system. Don’t think I’ll be doing this again. I basically just burned that cash for nothing and honestly I knew better.