New cars are such a ripoff

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You don’t know how the previous owner drove and maintained it number 1.
Number 2, I’m not trying to sit in someone else’s boogers, farts, blood, sweat and cum. shyt all in the crevices of the car, you not cleaning all that out.
I need my shyt new if at all possible.
You do know because when buying a used car you select the car you purchase. Them taking it to the dealer and getting the scheduled maintenance is documented by the dealer. If it isn't then you don't buy that particular car.

I guess you're saying you don't trust the dealer that preformed the maintenance on the car? Or you don't trust the mechanic you could pay to put the car on a life and inspect it? fukk you get the interior detailed or even replace the fabric on the seats in the car and it wouldn't cost you the first 3 year's depreciation amount.

Look we all make poor financial decisions. It's best not to try and prop them up with BS. I make poor financial choices myself. Not on the scale of a new car but I just own them as what they are. I buy a pair of Galaxy Buds I don't really need.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
You do know because when buying a used car you select the car you purchase. Them taking it to the dealer and getting the scheduled maintenance is documented by the dealer. If it isn't then you don't buy that particular car.

I guess you're saying you don't trust the dealer that preformed the maintenance on the car? Or you don't trust the mechanic you could pay to put the car on a life and inspect it? fukk you get the interior detailed or even replace the fabric on the seats in the car and it wouldn't cost you the first 3 year's depreciation amount.

Look we all make poor financial decisions. It's best not to try and prop them up with BS. I make poor financial choices myself. Not on the scale of a new car but I just own them as what they are. I buy a pair of Galaxy Buds I don't really need.
It’s not a poor financial decision if one can afford it. My purchase decisions are not driven exclusively by whether it will provide me with the best return in 30 years. In that case I would just eat beans, rice and water everyday and invest everything else. Frankly that’s a stupid and unnecessarily shytty way to live.

Go ahead and buy your used cars, but don’t try to shyt on brehs who are financially responsible and chose to purchase new.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It’s not a poor financial decision if one can afford it. My purchase decisions are not driven exclusively by whether it will provide me with the best return in 30 years. In that case I would just eat beans, rice and water everyday and invest everything else. Frankly that’s a stupid and unnecessarily shytty way to live.

Go ahead and buy your used cars, but don’t try to shyt on brehs who are financially responsible and chose to purchase new.
You being able to afford it and it being a poor decision aren't mutually exclusive. If Elon Musk bought a red crayon for $1 million he can afford it. It's still a poor financial decision. The value of what he got wasn't worth the price he paid. That's what makes it poor not his ability to afford it.

I bought a Galaxy Note20 Ultra cash then a few months later bought an iPhone 12 Pro cash. I still own both and I could afford both It was still a dumb decision to do so. If I got called out over how wasteful it was to do what I did then yeah I own that.

Part of being financially responsible is having the ability to acknowledge that you indeed did make a poor choice. Most people who become millionaires through their own efforts don't make such poor decisions.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I'll never not buy a new car. The peace of mind is like no other. I've been there. I've drove absolute beaters. It was the WOAT when you have to be somewhere but your car says otherwise.

Had this happen to me years ago with my 98 Civic. Anywhere over 45 minutes, is taking a massive risk. And road trips...I had to rent a car. Even worse, is that you go to a place with a bunch of fiscally responsible people, and THEY telling you to get a new car because your car is the oldest by at least 6 years. :heh:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
The new thing now is buy new, rent it out to make passive imcome when youre not driving it.

You really made this sound easy not realizing that this is hard to do consistently. Renting out a car is not like renting out a house or apartment, the demand is much lower and if you don't have some sort of business or reliable service that advertises your car, you'll be lucky to get someone to rent it 3-4 times out of the year. Maybe if it was a wraith sure, so dudes will rent out for their music videos..

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
You being able to afford it and it being a poor decision aren't mutually exclusive. If Elon Musk bought a red crayon for $1 million he can afford it. It's still a poor financial decision. The value of what he got wasn't worth the price he paid. That's what makes it poor not his ability to afford it.
“Poor” is a relative term.
My current finances and retirement investments are solid. Me buying a new car is immaterial to my current and future financial goals. It has no bearing on where I am or where I want to be. Thus it’s not a “poor” financial decision.

A bigger part of “being financially responsible” is setting a budget, living within your means, and establishing and working toward your own financial goals. A new car would not negatively affect either of those items for me. :yeshrug:

The Realist Perspective

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The car you're driving right now is a used car. Do you not have piece of mind over it? It was new, someone (you) bought it and used it so now it is no longer new. Are you suggesting you don't trust the manufacturers of cars to make a stable product?

I totally get making poor financial decisions. What I don't get is the mental gymnastics people go through to try and make those bad decisions sound like good ones.

The piece of mind you speak of in a figment of your imagination. The truth is you can get a 3 year old car turned in off a lease, low miles, regularly taken to a dealership with provable service records documented and you can get the car inspected before purchase. The mechanical difference between that car and a new car you buy at the same point of their lives that came off the same assembly line is negligible. Also @ CPO you'd get a manufactures warranty for 3 years after purchase.

Let's say this car is a 2020 Honda Accord. You avoid $6000 in depreciation charges. If you invest that $6000 for 30 years at 8% average return, you never touch it again or add to it and it site at the end of 30 years that $6000 in avoided depreciation is $60K. That's enough to buy 2 brand new Honda Accords when you're ready to retire. Do that 3 times in your life at 10 year intervals and that's an extra $101K you can retire with and all you had to do with duck $18K in depreciation cost.

Buy your peace of mind is worth the opportunity cost of turning that $18K in depreciation into $100K of money right?

Used car, only used by me breh. I know exactly what this car has been through. What work has been done. Damage, if any, etc. I retain all that documentation. It's not that I don't trust the manufacturer, I don't trust a previous owner. My car remains in pristine condition and never has not been garaged.

You're talking about buying new cars when I'm ready to retire. That's just not logical. I buy a car brand new and ride it until it becomes more trouble than it's worth then buy another car brand new. I am not a fancy guy, I am completely fine with the Hondas, Toyotas, KIAs and Hyundais.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Im glad me and my wife make enough money to get what we want. Dont have to just settle for what we can find. Sometimes in life you spend money on shyt that makes you happy.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Is a 2019 Model S with 17000 miles a beater vs a 2021 one?
I'm talking about these dudes paying cash for some hoopty. And that being their main vehicle.

I got an old 2013 vehicle as a daily driver. And just park my 2019 and only drive it when I have someplace nice to go.