NBA Contemplating Eliminating The Draft Lottery: Check Out The Possible Replacement

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2 words: competitive balance.

It's the entire purpose of the draft.

Only one way to fix that:

better superstars need to be produced.

if the average team had more of a shot at the early picks, it wouldn't pay to be a low seeded playoff team

Sucky teams being guaranteed first crack at top players doesn't always=competitive balance. Beyond that there is absolutely nothing balanced about the NBA competitively and there never has been. I think the current draft structure only contributes to that. You have teams that are in the lottery every year. At a certain point your org just sucks and mabye someone who knows what they are doing should get a crack at the top talent. Certain orgs know how to pick and develop talent and certain orgs don't. The only way for an org to truly come up is to make good choices consistently (OKC, Indy, Portland). Throwing young talent or the first shot at young talent at an org, in and of itself, has never turned anything around (see Minnesota, Sacremento, Cavs, the old Clippers and Mavs).

There are only so many true superstar basketball players out there. There just isn't enough talent to support 30 NBA teams. If they aren't going to address that then they might as well let some of the better run orgs get more chances at top players and vice versa.

It's pretty easy to be an average NBA team. If you can't put an average product out on the floor then you either truly suck as an org or you are tanking. Either way you don't deserve top talent to just be sat in your lap. You give average teams more of a shot and you will see more teams trying to at least put up a fight throughout the season. You would see more teams actually trying to make moves to better their team other than waiting for the young superstar to fall in their lap. You would see far more teams like PHX and BOS and ATL which are the perfect landing spots for a young superstar.

Last edited:

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
Posted this in the random thoughts thread.

One thing it does do is not punish the dreaded treadmill team. Those are the teams that get fukked the hardest in the NBA because a lot of them are legit trying their best but just don't have the pieces.

Rob's al Ghul

LOCKin' 'em down in the home of the Terrapins
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
410/301/202
I get where they're going with this, and the more I examine it the more it sorta makes sense. But there're a lot of loose ends as already brought up here that they're gonna have to tighten up. Especially the small-market issue.....if you're a bad SM team that relies on the draft and can't attract FAs, and you bust on your high pick, it's a wrap for a good while.

Besides, with my team's (Wiz) luck, they'd probably find a way to miss out on the guaranteed top-6 pick in their 5-year window. :facepalm:

In a way I wouldn't mind getting rid of the ping pong balls altogether and going back to spinning the envelopes (but no frozen ones :wtb:) in the drum. At least then, the only tankers would pretty much be the borderline 8th seeds that would rather squeak into the lottery, instead of dang near half the league trying to sink to the very bottom.

Filthy McNasty

><(((*>
Daps
Using this system in 1997, the Spurs would currently have Tim Duncan & Kevin Durant on their squad...

:wow:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
It's an interesting idea, to say the least. I like it because it gives those middle-of-the-pack teams an equal opportunity to get that one player to help take them over the top in the draft (if such a player exists and is coming out). It also forces the hand to make better moves during the season. It still has no effect on the stupidity that is free agency, not directly. The only thing I would change is the cycle length, like maybe if you have back-to-back Top 3 picks, you are automatically disqualified from having a Top 10 pick for next 5 years, or some ish like that.

Daps
This NHL writer had an idea to incentivise winning for bottom teams
basically its that Draft position should be based on how many games a team wins after they have been eliminated from the playoffs.

It creates competition at every level in the league. Top teams, middle tier and bottom teams all have something to fight for.

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got up to Page 3 of this thread and It seems like NO ONE in here actually read the article. :camron:

This wheel idea sounds like a good way to make more balanced/competitive teams in the NBA. The only problem is that, as mentioned earlier, college players can pick and choose which team they go to by staying in college or coming out early.

Every 5-6 years EVERY team will get TWO top 12 picks. All teams will improve at a pretty good rate. :thinking:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
This NHL writer had an idea to incentivise winning for bottom teams
basically its that Draft position should be based on how many games a team wins after they have been eliminated from the playoffs.

It creates competition at every level in the league. Top teams, middle tier and bottom teams all have something to fight for.

That just wouldn't work in the NBA though. Basically because bad teams are usually bad for a reason. And like somebody pointed out, the NBA is the most predictable of all the major sports. The better team will win a large majority of the games. So it really will punish the truly bad teams. And in reality would give a team with anyone out with injury an incentive to hold that player back until they tank hard enough to be out of the playoff picture, then bring that star back and make a late season push.

The problem with the NBA is that they want parity but also realize it is really in their best interests as a league to have dominant teams at the top. So they will never truly take the steps to ensure parity which one huge one would be to eliminate limits on max salaries.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
if the average team had more of a shot at the early picks, it wouldn't pay to be a low seeded playoff team

That's true. To counter I would weigh heavily against the last four teams (or maybe the last 8) teams left in the playoffs. A team that's in the conference finals won't tank a playoff series that close to winning a title and include the rest of the teams in the draft lottery as well.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I got up to Page 3 of this thread and It seems like NO ONE in here actually read the article. :camron:

This wheel idea sounds like a good way to make more balanced/competitive teams in the NBA. The only problem is that, as mentioned earlier, college players can pick and choose which team they go to by staying in college or coming out early.

Every 5-6 years EVERY team will get TWO top 12 picks. All teams will improve at a pretty good rate. :thinking:

I agree with much of you said but I take issue with the bolded. :mindblown: at people acting like this is a bad thing or a regular thing. Why shouldn't top players get some level of say as to where they go. Top law school grads get to pick where they go. Top medical school grads get to do the same. I get the competitive balance issues that make a draft necessary however I don't think it's wrong for players to get some level of control. Beyond that it's not like players will have a chance to exploit this very often. Unless you are a for sure top pick (Bron, Duncan, Shaq, Davis) you don't know for sure which team is taking you. And you only get 4 years max in college, you can't wait forever. The chances of a guys 4 year window and lottery years of the squad or two he wants to go to coinciding are not very high.

Bolzmark

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Terrible idea. I do not believe tanking is a serious enough issue for this to be necessary. Please understand, while some may accuse teams of "tanking" in reality, they really just SUCK.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Terrible idea. I do not believe tanking is a serious enough issue for this to be necessary. Please understand, while some may accuse teams of "tanking" in reality, they really just SUCK.

That said what impetus do teams have to improve if you are constantly sitting the best players in their laps. At what point are teams responsible for improving themselves?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
THE LOTTO IS PERFECT THE WAY IT IS CURRENTLY CONSTRUCTED....

NOT ONLY IS THIS A DUMB IDEA...
NO ONE IN THIS THREAD THOUGHT ABOUT FREE AGENCY...
fukk COLLEGE DUDES PICKING WHAT YEAR THEY COME...

FRONT RUNNER ASS nikkaS LIKE BRON
WILL BE LOOKING AT TEAMS DRAFT SLOTS OVER THE COURSE OF HIS CONTRACT
WHEN DECIDING WHICH SUPERTEAM HE'S GONNA FORM.
:devil:
:evil:
Like I said, this will bring back the Magic Johnson, James Worthy going to the Lakers, Bird going to Celtics years all over again. The system as it is, is the best system. Most teams aren't even tanking. Look at the East. Brooklyn and NY don't have picks and terrible management. Milwaukee was trying to win and build a playoff team like Atlanta but failed. Philly and Orlando are tanking. Boston is trying to win. Toronto wants to tank unsuccessfully.