NBA Contemplating Eliminating The Draft Lottery: Check Out The Possible Replacement

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Suns upgraded their talent and health was a key issue for them last year.

Most of the teams in the NBA that are in the lottery right now aren't tanking.

Milwaukee is not tanking. They spent money on depth and got rid of players who were negative via stats like Monta and Jennings. Most NBA pundits felt they improved.

Utah is rebuilding but it was about time. They spent the last three years hovering around the 8th seed.

Sacramento is poorly managed but they aren't tanking. They finally got their ownership right.

Philadelphia is clearly tanking. It's a joke. They got good management and coaching now but they don't want to win. MCW getting sat out for so long is a prime example. They should be fined like SA was last year.

New York and Brooklyn clearly aren't tanking. NY made a bad trade, shooters for Bargs and it's killed them. Brooklyn traded their average youth for over the hill finished future HOF's and killed their team now. Not to mention Deron gets hurt all the time and Lopez is out for the year.

Cleveland is a joke. They are far from tanking, they just have terrible management and coaching and can't develop none of their players. Another bad situation.

The Lakers are whatever. The Wolves are in the West. The Pelicans are poorly coached. Memphis lost Gasol and GS had some injuries.

Now the playoffs teams in the East aren't good outside of the top 2.

Hawks are average but plays good Basketball.

Bobcats are below average but plays solid ball.

Chicago lost Rose but have been dealing with injuries.

Boston has great coaching and management is needs Rondo back

Det is poorly coached and management. One of the most talented teams in the East.

Washington.. see Det.

How does that dispute what I said?

Not true. The Suns were expected to suck this year and look at what they are doing. Denver was supposed to die after Melo left and look at them. You can be an okay or even good team without talent. Strong management and good decision making can make pretty much any team average. If you suck it's because you aren't trying or you aren't good.

Would the Hawks be any higher in attendance if they completely sucked? To have a team overachieving like that and not have fans supporting them is a poor reflection on the fans, not what the team is doing. What do you want them to do, just not try? :what:

Well...yeah. They have been stuck in place for years. As proof that getting top picks every year don't mean shyt...

Treadmill is a reference to teams that are too good to get in the lottery but not good enough to compete for a title. You are pretty much stuck in place in that situation because you can't get the star that will put you over the hump and there is only so far you can go without the star. Treadmill is not a reference to being stuck being bad.

Both of those are both poorly run obviously. My point this entire time has been why should teams that are poorly run keep getting the top players? All I am saying is that teams that actually know what they are doing should get more chances at top talent.

Last edited:

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You need coaching, management, and development in Basketball as well. Look at teams with a superstar like the Knicks, Nets, Heat when it was just Wade and Shaq, T-Mac in Orlando, MJ in Chicago in his first couple of years as well. Of course, you have superstars who are transcendent like Lebron and Kareem but Football has them as well with Peyton and Tom.

I don't agree with that statement completely but what I do agree with is Football is clearly more of a team sport as one player can't play both offense and defense like in the NBA.

I didn't say you didn't need it in basketball. My point was that you can't win championships in basketball purely on the strength of those things like you can in the other sports. You don't have to have that superstar to carry you like in basketball because it is more of a team game like you said. If you wanna win a title in basketball you have to have the star AND the coaching, management, development. My point is that this current system makes it harder for an NBA team that has the coaching, management, and development to get the star needed to get over the hump.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
Philadelphia is clearly tanking. It's a joke. They got good management and coaching now but they don't want to win. MCW getting sat out for so long is a prime example. They should be fined like SA was last year.

Philly is rebuilding breh, we finally moving on from the Iverson era who was on the team in 2009.

Boston is also rebuilding they're moving on from the KG-Pierce-Allen era.

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
@FTBS I feel what you're saying, but at least with the lottery, bad teams get a better chance at selecting who they want, yet at the same time treadmill teams who just miss the playoffs have a shot at the top 3 selections as well.

The 30 year wheel idea would result in a ridiculously top heavy league where the top teams will still get a top 6 pick every year :laugh:

The most interesting idea would be the single elimination playoff but even then, that could be argued as unfair for the really bad teams

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Philly is rebuilding breh, we finally moving on from the Iverson era who was on the team in 2009.

Boston is also rebuilding they're moving on from the KG-Pierce-Allen era.
fukk outta here. MCW makes Hawes and Turner into good players and he's a good player and makes Philly as good as Charlotte and a likely playoff team. Without him, ya'll some hot garbage. Play your players, sitting them out for a damn month for "skin" infection is a bytchmove.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
fukk outta here. MCW makes Hawes and Turner into good players and he's a good player and makes Philly as good as Charlotte and a likely playoff team. Without him, ya'll some hot garbage.
AIght breh you clearly know more about my team than I do, even tho I been a fan for 15 years so do you :manny:

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Man, forget alla this...

Have the lottery be down to 5 teams, have Wonka make a golden ticket and put it in a bar, whatever teams is closest to the cities they are found in get the top 5 picks in order found...

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
@FTBS I feel what you're saying, but at least with the lottery, bad teams get a better chance at selecting who they want, yet at the same time treadmill teams who just miss the playoffs have a shot at the top 3 selections as well.

The 30 year wheel idea would result in a ridiculously top heavy league where the top teams will still get a top 6 pick every year :laugh:

The most interesting idea would be the single elimination playoff but even then, that could be argued as unfair for the really bad teams
It's a terrible idea because only the fans and management care about the pick, not the players who are playing. Unless you got hired guns like Mark Jackson who will gladly tank for the assurance he keeps his job.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
AIght breh you clearly know more about my team than I do, even tho I been a fan for 15 years so do you :manny:
That shyt pissed me off as it should. You guys go from an average team to trash with one player who has very good potential injury.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Why can't average or good teams EVER get that chance though? I am not saying that bad teams should never get that shot but there should also be some impetus for teams to improve outside of the draft as well. The league is already ridiculously top heavy and always has been. Randomzing the draft might just give some good teams a chance to move to the top though. The wheel might not be the best idea but the system does need to be changed.

AAKing23

92' til Infinity....
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ-PA
That shyt pissed me off as it should. You guys go from an average team to trash with one player who has very good potential injury.
Do U realize Allen Iverson was on this team 3 years ago :wtf: So how were we still not in the Iverson era :what:

This team has not had a complete rebuild since he left, we were the 8th seed in 2007 (lost to Detroit) 8th seed in 2008 (loss to Orlando) 8th seed in 2010 (loss to Miami) 8th seed in 2011 (loss to Boston). They were clearly trying to compete at that time. A year and a half ago we were in game 7 of the eastern semi finals and a game away from the Eastern conference finals. We tried to get back in 2012 and get better with the Andrew Bynum trade and we got fukked in that trade and it messed up our team. So that's why we're rebuilding now.

MCW is not the savior and we are not ready to compete right now, we are rebuilding thru the draft. We are still only 7-11 in games that he plays, last time I checked that's mediocre. :beli:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Sucky teams being guaranteed first crack at top players doesn't always=competitive balance. Beyond that there is absolutely nothing balanced about the NBA competitively and there never has been. I think the current draft structure only contributes to that. You have teams that are in the lottery every year. At a certain point your org just sucks and mabye someone who knows what they are doing should get a crack at the top talent. Certain orgs know how to pick and develop talent and certain orgs don't. The only way for an org to truly come up is to make good choices consistently (OKC, Indy, Portland). Throwing young talent or the first shot at young talent at an org, in and of itself, has never turned anything around (see Minnesota, Sacremento, Cavs, the old Clippers and Mavs).

There are only so many true superstar basketball players out there. There just isn't enough talent to support 30 NBA teams. If they aren't going to address that then they might as well let some of the better run orgs get more chances at top players and vice versa.

It's pretty easy to be an average NBA team. If you can't put an average product out on the floor then you either truly suck as an org or you are tanking. Either way you don't deserve top talent to just be sat in your lap. You give average teams more of a shot and you will see more teams trying to at least put up a fight throughout the season. You would see more teams actually trying to make moves to better their team other than waiting for the young superstar to fall in their lap. You would see far more teams like PHX and BOS and ATL which are the perfect landing spots for a young superstar.
If an NBA team knows what they're doing, they're not gonna be crying for top talent from an amateur pool. They most likely already have it.

If you're setting up a system DESIGNED to only have the same teams succeed, then that's a major problem. At least now, you can only blame yourself if you don't make the right decisions. If you take away the opportunity to build yourself back up through the draft, you can easily say the league is setting you up to fail blatantly.

Sure it's easy to be average, but why would you want that?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Do U realize Allen Iverson was on this team 3 years ago :wtf: So how were we still not in the Iverson era :what:

This team has not had a complete rebuild since he left, we were the 8th seed in 2007 (lost to Detroit) 8th seed in 2008 (loss to Orlando) 8th seed in 2010 (loss to Miami) 8th seed in 2011 (loss to Boston). They were clearly trying to compete at that time. A year and a half ago we were in game 7 of the eastern semi finals and a game away from the Eastern conference finals. We tried to get back in 2012 and get better with the Andrew Bynum trade and we got fukked in that trade and it messed up our team. So that's why we're rebuilding now.

MCW is not the savior and we are not ready to compete right now, we are rebuilding thru the draft. We are still only 7-11 in games that he plays, last time I checked that's mediocre. :beli:
What are you talking about? I was talking about this season. I don't give a fukk about A.I.right now breh. Have you seen the rest of the East. The 3rd seed is mediocre.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If an NBA team knows what they're doing, they're not gonna be crying for top talent from an amateur pool. They most likely already have it.

If you're setting up a system DESIGNED to only have the same teams succeed, then that's a major problem. At least now, you can only blame yourself if you don't make the right decisions. If you take away the opportunity to build yourself back up through the draft, you can easily say the league is setting you up to fail blatantly.

Sure it's easy to be average, but why would you want that?

So you could have the chance to keep getting better. You agree that it's easy to be average. Based on previous post I know you agree that the treadmill is not where you want to be. What's wrong with a system that eliminates the treadmill and encourages teams to be the best they can be. A league where everybody is doing all they can to at least be competitive is better than a league where the bottom half is like :manny: "Guess we'll just get a good draft pick".

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
So you could have the chance to keep getting better. You agree that it's easy to be average. Based on previous post I know you agree that the treadmill is not where you want to be. What's wrong with a system that eliminates the treadmill and encourages teams to be the best they can be. A league where everybody is doing all they can to at least be competitive is better than a league where the bottom half is like :manny: "Guess we'll just get a good draft pick".
The treadmill doesn't go away. The only way that goes away is with better players.