NBA Contemplating Eliminating The Draft Lottery: Check Out The Possible Replacement

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
the Spurs don't...I think Pat Riley also was trying to work the d-league. You won't find superstar talent in the d-league but you could find decent rotational players.

I think one major point is drafting for potential - if you're a horrible team with a high pick, a lot of time you will draft on potential (instead of need) knowing the guy isn't ready to help you. If you know you won't get a high pick again for another 5 years, then I doubt you would see too many teams reaching for the Kwame Browns, knowing they won't be rewarded for bad drafts with another high pick.

I do believe there is value in the lower end of the draft and in the past few years you're seeing more and more displays of this; I also feel there's a lot of talent in the 2nd round that will never sniff the court because of the stigma of being in the 2nd round. This new draft potentially changes that especially if you're a bad team you may be forced to actually utilize the 2nd round

The Spurs have Tim Duncan. He's kinda the prototype for what GM's hope to tank for.if they want a big.

Nobody's scared away by good players (it's what they look for), but if you're rebuilding, getting guys that can help you now and only now counters the concept. If the D-League had more rotational players come out, it would make more sense, but it's still perceived as a spot you're put at when you're not good enough to stay with the main squad.

The 2nd value boils down to this: if you're not Euro, I don't want you because I can't control your rights the same way. That won't change anytime soon, wheel or no wheel.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
That's my point. The bad teams have no reason to figure anything out as long as all the best young talent is being sat in their laps.

I am not saying teams should aim to be decent. I am saying that teams that are well managed and coached can be decent-good without a true superstar. However due to the current set up a team like this would likely be stuck on the treadmill and never able to get close to that superstar. As it stands now you are better off being completely horrible than being okay or good. If you remove the reward for sucking you will see more teams trying to figure shyt out and doing all they can to at least be decent which is very doable with the right level of effort and know how.

The nature of the league and the importance one guy can have unfortunately makes this untrue.

Let's assume we put the wheel in play. It's not like a bad team in an undesirable location doesn't even have a shot at a top amateur, what were they gonna do differently (besides probably overpay more people, which is what they do anyway). Look at the Bucks. We can safely say they're not tanking. They're doing (as I've said before) pretty much what the Rockets are doing; they're just looked at as idiots since it's not gonna lead to a huge payoff without that player to build around.

Ashyneezz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The only way for an org to truly come up is to make good choices consistently (OKC, Indy, Portland). Throwing young talent or the first shot at young talent at an org, in and of itself, has never turned anything around (see Minnesota, Sacremento, Cavs, the old Clippers and Mavs).
The Mavs don't belong in a group with these bum teams:stopitslime:
They had 11 straight season of 50+ wins, made the playoffs 12 straight season and won the championship in 2011. They've been very successful the past decade

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The nature of the league and the importance one guy can have unfortunately makes this untrue.

Let's assume we put the wheel in play. It's not like a bad team in an undesirable location doesn't even have a shot at a top amateur, what were they gonna do differently (besides probably overpay more people, which is what they do anyway). Look at the Bucks. We can safely say they're not tanking. They're doing (as I've said before) pretty much what the Rockets are doing; they're just looked at as idiots since it's not gonna lead to a huge payoff without that player to build around.

I'm not saying the wheel is necessarily the way to go per se. I just want to see some sort of change to the current system. If you go to a system like the wheel or where the middle teams get more chances at top players (my preference) you don't force teams to sit back and wait for that huge payoff. In essence you force them to earn their way into the running for a top player. The Bucks were a playoff team last year. Under a different system they would have been more likely to be able to add a top player in the draft to that mix. Instead they were stuck on the treadmill and just said "fukk it".

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Mavs don't belong in a group with these bum teams:stopitslime:
They had 11 straight season of 50+ wins, made the playoffs 12 straight season and won the championship in 2011. They've been very successful the past decade

The Clippers don't either. That is why I said "old Clippers and Mavs".

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Spurs have Tim Duncan. He's kinda the prototype for what GM's hope to tank for.if they want a big.

Nobody's scared away by good players (it's what they look for), but if you're rebuilding, getting guys that can help you now and only now counters the concept. If the D-League had more rotational players come out, it would make more sense, but it's still perceived as a spot you're put at when you're not good enough to stay with the main squad.

The 2nd value boils down to this: if you're not Euro, I don't want you because I can't control your rights the same way. That won't change anytime soon, wheel or no wheel.

The 2nd point is very valuable...there needs to be rules implemented in the the D-League, so that if you're sent down it should not count towards the NBA contract for up to a year. That's exactly what they are doing in Europe...you draft a player and you just leave in in Europe. They should allow you to draft and send a player down to the d-league while still on a rookie contract and let him sit there for up to a year at a reduced salary before it starts hitting your books.

Regardless, the system needed to be overhauled - the lottery is cool and fun, but it also reeks of mismanagement and destroys the value proposition intended for the customers.

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I think the pistons showed you can do this with a well managed team with basically role players (some argument could be had on this). The fact is the current system makes it desirable to "tank" or not put your best effort in every year because you are being REWARDED for failure with chances of landing the next big superstar. You take that REWARD away and teams will have to find ways to make/keep their franchises valuable to the consumer. This is a win to the consumers.

WheresWallace

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree with much of you said but I take issue with the bolded. :mindblown: at people acting like this is a bad thing or a regular thing. Why shouldn't top players get some level of say as to where they go. Top law school grads get to pick where they go. Top medical school grads get to do the same. I get the competitive balance issues that make a draft necessary however I don't think it's wrong for players to get some level of control. Beyond that it's not like players will have a chance to exploit this very often. Unless you are a for sure top pick (Bron, Duncan, Shaq, Davis) you don't know for sure which team is taking you. And you only get 4 years max in college, you can't wait forever. The chances of a guys 4 year window and lottery years of the squad or two he wants to go to coinciding are not very high.
True, you're right.

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
You're not really doing that. What you're doing is playing musical chairs, but instead of it being conceivably among 30 teams, it's cut down to 16-19. The teams at the bottom now have no lifeline to infuse better talent.

Teams aren't afraid to make good moves, but unless you're going for it, you won't make short sighted moves that don't serve a long term purpose. The teams that are "tanking" wanna improve. They really do, but they also know you can only go so far without that player to build around and way more often than not, that guy is gonna be at the top of the lottery.
That's the whole point. Teams shouldn't have to completely bottom out to get that infusion of talent. A team like the Nuggets right now are going to be stuck for a few years or even your Twolves. They are pretty much stuck with what they have. No free agent is going to sign to play there. They should have a better shot at getting a young stud out of the draft that could kick them up to the next level without bottoming out and putting out a shyt product first.

The constant rewarding for inept franchises has to go away. If teams don't have the crutch of the draft to keep falling back on it puts way more pressure on front offices to make good moves.

Last edited:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
If they're continuously poorly run, they're not landing the top players. They're just botching opportunities to do so.

It doesn't eliminate the idea of tanking. It shifts the focus of who the tank culprits would be.

If the NBA hates tanking from bad teams, imagine teams literally running away from a spot in the playoffs.

The difference is that if a team runs from a playoff spot they are costing themselves millions of dollars in ticket revenue from not getting those extra playoff games. I think you'll see far less teams tank to miss the playoffs then you will under the current system where teams tank since there are no negative effects of it.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's the whole point. Teams shouldn't have to completely bottom out to get that infusion of talent. A team like the Nuggets right now are going to be stuck for a few years or even your Twolves. They are pretty much stuck with what they have. No free agent is going to sign to play there. If they had a better shot at getting a young stud out of the draft that could kick them up to the next level without bottoming out and putting out a shyt product first.

The constant rewarding for inept franchises has to go away. If teams don't have the crutch of the draft to keep falling back on it puts way more pressure on front offices to make good moves.

I had to check to make sure I didn't post this. :wow: Well said. :salute:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
The difference is that if a team runs from a playoff spot they are costing themselves millions of dollars in ticket revenue from not getting those extra playoff games. I think you'll see far less teams tank to miss the playoffs then you will under the current system where teams tank since there are no negative effects of it.
Isn't this what "tanking" teams do anyway?

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Isn't this what "tanking" teams do anyway?

Most teams that tank aren't sniffing near the playoffs anyway. So they aren't costing themselves the extra revenue from playoff games. Tanking from a 11th or 12th spot in the conference to 15th ain't gone affect the bottom line much.