NBA Contemplating Eliminating The Draft Lottery: Check Out The Possible Replacement

Ashyneezz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:dead: at folks saying this is hard to understand. You start at one number then go around in a circle clockwise

Last edited:

Ashyneezz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'd rather see a "losers bracket" style of one and done playoffs and the winner gets the first pick, runner up gets the 2nd pick etc. an extra revenue stream, and the lotto playoff would be more exciting than most first round placeholder filler ass series they trot out there
:ohhh: I like that idea. Folks actually have to fight for their spot

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The treadmill doesn't go away. The only way that goes away is with better players.

If you reward good teams that are a piece away from contention you eliminate the treadmill. You will always have bad teams but teams should be encouraged to improve and not just in the draft.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
If you reward good teams that are a piece away from contention you eliminate the treadmill. You will always have bad teams but teams should be encouraged to improve and not just in the draft.

You're not really doing that. What you're doing is playing musical chairs, but instead of it being conceivably among 30 teams, it's cut down to 16-19. The teams at the bottom now have no lifeline to infuse better talent.

Teams aren't afraid to make good moves, but unless you're going for it, you won't make short sighted moves that don't serve a long term purpose. The teams that are "tanking" wanna improve. They really do, but they also know you can only go so far without that player to build around and way more often than not, that guy is gonna be at the top of the lottery.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
How does that dispute what I said?

Treadmill is a reference to teams that are too good to get in the lottery but not good enough to compete for a title. You are pretty much stuck in place in that situation because you can't get the star that will put you over the hump and there is only so far you can go without the star. Treadmill is not a reference to being stuck being bad.

Both of those are both poorly run obviously. My point this entire time has been why should teams that are poorly run keep getting the top players? All I am saying is that teams that actually know what they are doing should get more chances at top talent.
If they're continuously poorly run, they're not landing the top players. They're just botching opportunities to do so.

It doesn't eliminate the idea of tanking. It shifts the focus of who the tank culprits would be.

If the NBA hates tanking from bad teams, imagine teams literally running away from a spot in the playoffs.

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not like the current system is so great. You get rid of the treadmill and force organizations to make good moves consistently and remove the motivation to tank. Top players shouldn't have to always go to sucky teams and top teams shouldn't never get a shot at top players.
100% this

this is mostly due to teams tanking, ruining the value proposition of the franchise and ticket holders

additionally you will see less bullshyt trades as well IMO

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're not really doing that. What you're doing is playing musical chairs, but instead of it being conceivably among 30 teams, it's cut down to 16-19. The teams at the bottom now have no lifeline to infuse better talent.

Teams aren't afraid to make good moves, but unless you're going for it, you won't make short sighted moves that don't serve a long term purpose. The teams that are "tanking" wanna improve. They really do, but they also know you can only go so far without that player to build around and way more often than not, that guy is gonna be at the top of the lottery.

there's still value at the bottom half of the draft, there's the NBADL, and there's free agency/trades - plenty of ways to move from out of the bottom if you're a GOOD manager.

Too many GM's just sit on their hands and wait for drafts, it's bullshyt.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If they're continuously poorly run, they're not landing the top players. They're just botching opportunities to do so.

It doesn't eliminate the idea of tanking. It shifts the focus of who the tank culprits would be.

If the NBA hates tanking from bad teams, imagine teams literally running away from a spot in the playoffs.

You don't have to be run that well to pick Bron or Duncan or Shaq or even Webber or KG. If teams are continuously poorly run then changes need to be made. I believe that taking the safety net of high picks away will push teams to try to at least be decent rather than just saying "fukk it let's just suck and get LeBron".

I would rather teams play hard all year and tank towards the end then just come out and suck all season. I am not against playoff teams getting high picks as well.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
there's still value at the bottom half of the draft, there's the NBADL, and there's free agency/trades - plenty of ways to move from out of the bottom if you're a GOOD manager.

Too many GM's just sit on their hands and wait for drafts, it's bullshyt.
GM's treat the D-League like shyt. A good manager will always look better with a superstar talent. Those players aren't in D-League. If they were (which aids my point that the players by and large aren't good enough), no one would care where they were slotted

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
You don't have to be run that well to pick Bron or Duncan or Shaq or even Webber or KG. If teams are continuously poorly run then changes need to be made. I believe that taking the safety net of high picks away will push teams to try to at least be decent rather than just saying "fukk it let's just suck and get LeBron".

I would rather teams play hard all year and tank towards the end then just come out and suck all season. I am not against playoff teams getting high picks as well.
The teams themselves have to figure out what changed they need to make to get better, not the league.

Nobody wants to aim to be decent. Nobody tanks to aim to be decent. They wanna win too. Removing the mere opportunity to land a player of that caliber means certain teams can only be decent since all you'll get is marginal young talent, which attracts nobody, not other players, coaches or fans.

7oclock

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
GM's treat the D-League like shyt. A good manager will always look better with a superstar talent. Those players aren't in D-League. If they were (which aids my point that the players by and large aren't good enough), no one would care where they were slotted

the Spurs don't...I think Pat Riley also was trying to work the d-league. You won't find superstar talent in the d-league but you could find decent rotational players.

I think one major point is drafting for potential - if you're a horrible team with a high pick, a lot of time you will draft on potential (instead of need) knowing the guy isn't ready to help you. If you know you won't get a high pick again for another 5 years, then I doubt you would see too many teams reaching for the Kwame Browns, knowing they won't be rewarded for bad drafts with another high pick.

I do believe there is value in the lower end of the draft and in the past few years you're seeing more and more displays of this; I also feel there's a lot of talent in the 2nd round that will never sniff the court because of the stigma of being in the 2nd round. This new draft potentially changes that especially if you're a bad team you may be forced to actually utilize the 2nd round

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The teams themselves have to figure out what changed they need to make to get better, not the league.

Nobody wants to aim to be decent. Nobody tanks to aim to be decent. They wanna win too. Removing the mere opportunity to land a player of that caliber means certain teams can only be decent since all you'll get is marginal young talent, which attracts nobody, not other players, coaches or fans.

That's my point. The bad teams have no reason to figure anything out as long as all the best young talent is being sat in their laps.

I am not saying teams should aim to be decent. I am saying that teams that are well managed and coached can be decent-good without a true superstar. However due to the current set up a team like this would likely be stuck on the treadmill and never able to get close to that superstar. As it stands now you are better off being completely horrible than being okay or good. If you remove the reward for sucking you will see more teams trying to figure shyt out and doing all they can to at least be decent which is very doable with the right level of effort and know how.